For those who have SKIDMARX UNDERCOWL......

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I take my undercowl off to do my oil changes. Last time I had off noticed edge of cowl grinding into aluminum casting near clutch side. It's about 1/16 deep of a wear groove. I put a piece of rubber hose, slit, to place over edge. You could also place rubber pads inside to achieve spacer distance. This is the only place I have seen it rubbing into casting, thought I would warn any riders about the unseen damage that could occur. The other place was the side exhaust pipe, no clearance between cowl and pipe, cracked and burnt a hole thru it, so I cut out section around pipe with dremel. You can just see cut-out on right side of pic

first pic shows cowl with rubber hose

below pic shows cut in casting. to left of finger is a rub mark, above finger is the groove,

any further and oil might start coming out

Last edited:
Bike
2010 RED NT700V
Thanks for the warning, man. I went right out and checked. They must have changed the design at some point. Mine does not look quite like that, and it is nowhere near contacting the case. I'd say there is a good half-inch gap between the cowl and the case at that point. Mine does not have that little "outcropping" (or whatever you call it) that is directly below the rubber hose in your first pic. I'm gonna check closer when it warms up a bit, but for now I think I'm safe.

Top Bottom