Fork Oil Drain Plugs

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Considering adding fork oil drain plugs. Anyone have some advice on how, or why, to do it?
....type of plugs used? I thought about ordering plugs for an older model Honda, drilling and tapping the NT fork lowers....done. Or am I overlooking a better plug?
....where best to safely drill to add drain plugs? (I know, the bottom!) Pictures of yours may help.

I'm not completely sold on adding the plugs. Removing the forks is a small hassle if there is huge advantage to changing the fork oil that way. I'm riding 10-12,000 miles/year....so I'm thinking of changing the fork oil every 2 years. Advice on fork oil change interval?

Type of fork oil to use? I am not an aggressive rider, rarely go >70 mph, me & fully loaded gear go about 200 lbs, and have no reason to turn the NT into an off road adventure ride.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I did that on my Connie. Best done with the forks removed. I drilled and used a machine thread tap with a soft washer under the plug screw. You could use a pipe theread with a pipe plug instead.

I was always amazed at how grungy the fork oil was. But you're right - it is much better to remove the forks for service because you can do a better job.

I'm not sure I'll install the drain plugs on the NT. I'll have to look it over to see how it might work out when I service the forks. I'm concerned about wall thickness and a flat surface to tap into and distance to bottom.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
So how do you fill the forks to the right level? I thought the height measurement from the top of the fork was based on the fork being collapsed. Or are you just using a volume measurement and calling it close enough?

Top Bottom