Fork Seal Leaking, Anyone?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My Labor Day ride consisted of painting in our garage. I was moving things to be able to get a the north wall and noticed a big blob of something petroleum-based on the floor not too far away from my NT. I wiped it up and asked Joanne if she'd spilled something. She said, "No, that was under your bike."

Got down on the floor and looked and it's my left fork seal. I'm a little surprised that one has gone that soon. And I hope my extended warranty covers it. I think it does. Now I hope I can get in for an appointment on Friday. I'm also still waiting for my replacement CeeBailey windshield. Naturally, in our "clean the garage mode," I had let Joanne convince me to get rid of the stock screen three days before the hospital parking lot claimed my first CeeBailey.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Do you clean your forks regularly? Just takes one good bug hit that dries up.

I have some NOJ fork guards on my ST and the forks look brand new.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I usually do, but I've probably hit a few thousand bugs since I did last a couple of weeks ago.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I probably won't get it done right now, because the bike is my only transportation. Unless, the Triumph dealer in Fort Collins has them. In that case, I will have a chance to pick them up before I get in with Sun Honda (hopefully on Friday).'

But I definitely will order a pair of the gaiters and have them ready for the next time the fork needs to come off.

Thanks for the reminder!

ken45

Do you clean your forks regularly? Just takes one good bug hit that dries up.

I have some NOJ fork guards on my ST and the forks look brand new.
Seems like a poor design that needs to be "debugged" ;-)

Same thing on my GW, just started at 8000 and one year old. Tech told me that Honda often denies it as a warranty issue :(

Ken

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
John,
Thank you. I will order from Dennis Kirk immediately. I have always cleaned my forks with WD-40 after any ride that was dusty, wet, or particularly "buggy". One of those very small---wife calls them "purse size" spray cans of WD-40 fit nicely in the tank bag. A paper towel works fine for application.

Glad to see you "on the air". I look forward to your good advice.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I am curious how they will fit on the NT, with the stock shield in place, so please post a picture when you get them installed. I'm thinking these would work great on my Wee as well....

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Those gaitors remind me of the Lost in Space Robot:

"WARNING! Warning Will Robinson! The panniers refuse to open. Return to the ship immediately".

I'll be sure to add fork inspection to my ride checklist. Thanks all for the very valuable info.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Today's exposed fork tubes do lend to getting bug spattered and pitted. I once had my Connie seal leak for a couple days but it fixed itself before I got to it. I think a bug part got between the seal and tube then later released itself. Phil it sounds like yours is leaking badly. I don't think you will be lucky enough for a self healing.

Brad

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Phil it sounds like yours is leaking badly. I don't think you will be lucky enough for a self healing.

Brad, the only thing I ever had heal itself was my first bike, an '83 Honda GL650i Silverwing. I bought it in '98 and the fork seals leaked and there were a couple of slow leaks in different places around the engine. I didn't have enough money to get it fixed, so I just rode it and watched the oil level. By the time I'd put 3-4,000 miles on it in the first 3 months I owned it, everything had quit leaking.

On my two Connies, I replaced fork seals (one at a time) four times in 165,000 miles; a balancer shaft seal, a water pump seal, and three oil pressure sending units.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Looked at bike----they should fit without cutting stock deflectors off

My NOJ fork covers from Dennis Kirk are scheduled for Friday delivery. I'll pick 'em up after I get back from Denver and fork seal repair and new front tire, and let you know. If you all ask real nice, I might even take and post a picture. :)

I'll be surprised if they don't fit over the stock deflectors, but the deflectors also wouldn't be hard to get off (I don't think).

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
thanks for the part number on those john, seems like a very inexpensive preventative maintenance measure. i think i'll grab some as well.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I'll be surprised if they don't fit over the stock deflectors, but the deflectors also wouldn't be hard to get off (I don't think).
That part is a full "wrap around" at the base so you will need to cut it off....or disassemble the front end... Luckily it is just plastic so it isn't anything a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel can't handle...

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Here's what they look like on an ST1300, they wrap around the small fork guard. I don't know what an NT fork looks like close up but maybe this will help.

Top Bottom