Found A Nice Metric Tool Kit At Sears

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
One of the things we have discussed in the past is finding a good reasonably priced tool set for working on the NT. I prefer Craftsman tools as I have had a very good experience with them over the years and they are reasonably priced. And it is hard to beat a "Forever Warranty"...:D

Anyway, if you need a nice assortment of metric sockets, wrenches, and ratchets as well as some other handy tools check out this tool kit:

Sears Craftsman 201 pc. All Metric Mechanics Tool Set Model# 83096

That ought to cover most maintenance chores...

Wayne, You are a wise man. You value your knuckles and the components you work on. I have had that set for years and have added ratcheting box wrenches and some specialty sockets along with a myriad of adapters, extensions, etc. Don't overlook a good Torque Wrench--3/8" Drive. I also have a 1/4Drive Torque wrench that I got at Bike Nashbar for $60.

Alex,

I have a roll around full of Craftsman tools, my Dad gave me a "starter" Standard 3/8" socket set in the early 60's and I've kept it growing...:) Plus now I have all my Dad's Craftsman and Xcelite tools. But when I started buying tools everything I owned was "Standard", except some Whitworth :eek1: , so I was a bit "light" on metric sockets and wrenches...

Wayne,
My Craftsman and Snap-On tools have accumulated over the years. I have three rolling cabinets full of rarchets, sockets, etc. My Father-in Law died in June and he left a ton of tools--two rolling cabinets (I had one) along with a cabinet full of precision instruments--micrometers, calipers, electrical testing equipment, etc. He was an Engineer. I even have a 3/4" Drive set of SAE and Metric Sockets. Great for wheel changes on the cage--a Delta Drill Press and a small Lathe complete the picture. I will be getting a TIG Welder for Christmas. I will be finishing my welding course at the Tech Center in January. I also have Whitworth tools. They are great for working on old Raleigh, Hercules, and Phillips Bicycles. My dream is still to find a Norton Atlas 650 Cafe Racer. I am now building a Cafe Racer out a !975 Honda CB550

You guys building bikes amaze me. I always did like the cafe racer look. Then again, I've tended towards the Euro look since WAY before I rode. As for mechanical ability, I have nearly none. Have Denali lights to put on. I am more afraid of removing and replacing plastic than anything.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

A very good idea IF we can come up with a hitch for the NT on this side of the big pond. I do have a possible lead on that which I will explore , probably after the first of the year . It f something goood comes of it I will share the information.

Eldon

"I probably have 10,000 tools SOMEWHERE in my barn but I guarantee you that I couldn't find a good Phillips screwdriver if I had to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SAM
smile.png
"

LOL! I neatly organized all my tools when we sheetrocked our garage last spring, but that's nearly gone. I can find a Phillips head, but not always the size I need.

Last edited:
That dates you. I was lucky. I only needed to buy a couple to adjust the valves on my old Triumph.

I suppose it does "date" me a bit... At least I was living in the UK at the time so they were fairly easy to purchase... :D

And that's why tools are such a bargain. You can buy one and use it for the rest of your life.

Just out of curiosity: When did the UK abandon Whitworth as the fastener standard -- assuming that it's completely gone. We had a '74 MG-B and I did a little work on it with metric tools (I think).

Back
Top Bottom