Front engine crash bar?

CommuterNT

Hope this is the best spot to post this but I saw an NT with a front crash bar that kind of looks like ones you see on the V-Strom to protect the engine in a tip over. It also had a piece that wrapped around the front. Not sure of what the exact use would be since the NT already has the tip over bumpers on it.

If anybody has seen these before or has an idea of what they would do to benefit the bike I would love to know.

Side note: I don't own an NT yet and I'm shopping for one. Been researching the heck out of it though.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Those are Hepco and Becker crash bars. They protect plastic pretty good, but they don't help with the panniers, either the stock ones or the big lids like I've got. Personally, I think they look awful on the silver bike, but they're not bad on the red one and they're practically invisible on the black '11 model.

If I had an '11 NT, I'm sure I'd get them...although I'm not sure that you can have them and the undercowl. If the undercowl wouldn't work with the crash bars, I'd skip the crash bars.

OP
OP

CommuterNT

Cool, thanks Phil. It still seems like a bit of a useless farkle since the tip over bumper seems like it would protect most of the plastic in a tip over. But again I don't own the bike yet.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I think the tipover bars will protect most of the front plastic most of the time. If I were riding on rough, rocky roads, the Hepco-Becker crash bars might be a good addition.

tawilke46

I found if you install the Hepko&Becker bars you cannot also install the Mick-O-Pegs on the NT without significant modifications to the left side mounting block on the peg mount. Not enough room on the frame for both the crash bar arm and the peg block.
There are pictures I have seen of a red NT with both the H&P's and Mick-O-Pegs installed. Jay Mick e-mailed me and said the guy (RedBird) had modified the left side mount block, but did not know what mod's he had made.

RedBird (Ken) did the install:
http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2657&d=1314551838

Last edited:
Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I never tried Mick o pegs, but my HB system is perfect to mount Kuryakin pegs on and they work very well with each othr. also using the HB engine/tankguard they provide a good anchor poing for the large Aerostich panier bags which wok so well for a hydration system and provide a aditional duty as wind and rain protection. AS for the silver and red modles if y ou have them a trip to y our favoite chrome plating, or anodizing shop should be able to provide you with whatever color you desire. I must agree with Phil, they DO NOT save your saddle bag lids, I have both sides scratched up so they almost match with beauty markings! both times the Stich paniers over the tank were well filled and no front en damage was encountered.

Eldon

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
As far as the modification to the left side mic-o-pegs mount, I cut, filed, ground away metal from the mount so that it would clear the Hepco-Becker attachment to the bike bolt. It was a remove metal and try the fit, remove some more and try the fit type of deal. The tapped holes for the mic-o-pegs attachment bolts remained, but the some of the square block inside needs to be removed to clear. I should have photographed the mount after the mod, it's on the bike now and I don't plan on removing it. I also notched the arm that holds the pivot point to clear the Hpeco-Becker tube.
The cowl will not fit with the Hepco-Becker unit, nor with the mic-o-pegs. I have thought about adding some plexaglass to the front of the Hepco engine guard and seeing what kind of rain protection that would get me, but I haven't done it yet.

Top Bottom