Front wheel removal

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Time for a new front tire.

I'm planning to remove the front wheel and take to a shop to mount a new PR3. However after reading the shop manual I have questions.

1. Do you really have to bleed the brakes to remove the calipers?
2. Do you really have to remove the cowel cover to remove the speed sensor to get the front wheel off?
3. Does anyone really use new brake caliper bolts when putting it back together?

I'm guessing none of these are really necessary, but that's what the shop manual says to do.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I have never had any issues unbolting the calipers and supporting them, (don't let them hang by the brake lines). If you don't open up the sealed brake system no air can get in so bleeding them should not be needed. I reuse the bolts. If there is a question about them certainly replace them. I believe Honda also recomends replacing other safety type bolts such as brake disk bolts if they are removed.

Brad

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Time for a new front tire.

I'm planning to remove the front wheel and take to a shop to mount a new PR3. However after reading the shop manual I have questions.

1. Do you really have to bleed the brakes to remove the calipers?
2. Do you really have to remove the cowel cover to remove the speed sensor to get the front wheel off?
3. Does anyone really use new brake caliper bolts when putting it back together?

I'm guessing none of these are really necessary, but that's what the shop manual says to do.

No NO NO. Make sure you clean the old loctite off the bolts re apply new and torque bolts correctly. If you are careful you can lift the front of the bike just high enough to get the front wheel out from under the fender without removing the front fender. Takes a bit of finesse, but can be done.

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
No NO NO. Make sure you clean the old loctite off the bolts re apply new and torque bolts correctly. If you are careful you can lift the front of the bike just high enough to get the front wheel out from under the fender without removing the front fender. Takes a bit of finesse, but can be done.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I figured. Your answers are clear and simple - you must not be an attorney (kidding).

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chuck is definitely not an attorney!! I hereby bear witness to that indisputable fact!

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
It was very straightforward. Wheel came off easily. I don't know why the Honda Service Manual has to complicate things so much. But then other things could use a little more detail.

Looking forward to running the new PR3. The OEM tire went about 11,000 miles, but I really should have replaced it at about 9K. I never liked the OEM tires much anyway after about 4K.

I hope no "real attorneys" were offended by my privious remark.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Just to add, when I work with my disc brakes off of the wheel, I slid a wooden shim where the disc would be to insure that the pads stay in place while the wheel is off.

Top Bottom