Fuel Mileage read out not working

silshooter

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Unable to make the Current or Average Fuel Mileage display work. It displays dashed lines only, worked with the Honda shop folks without success. Thought someone here might help me with my new 2010 NT700V.
Thanks,
Charlie
Crowley, TX

bicyclist

Well, you can take solace in the fact that when it does work it isn't accurate, so there's no point bothering with it.

I wonder whether it's not communicating with the controller.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Is everything else normal? speedometer, Odometer, dash lights, turn signal indication on the dash, fuel gauge, temp gauge, no MIL...?
Has any electrical work been done on it? ...like trying to tap into speed signal, or connecting an auxiliary power plug using the the Honda connector under the left pocket?

I think MPG is calculated from Vehicle Speed (Vs sensor) and Fuel Injection Pulse signals. I see 5 connectors where the signals could be getting lost between the ECM and Combination Meter. 2 connectors at the ECM, a 10 pin & 12 pin connector under the left pocket, and the 20 pin connector at the the Combination Meter. Try disconnecting, cleaning and reconnecting the connectors. Disclaimer: Some body plastic disassembly required.

Once MPG is reset, ride a short ways for it to start reading again.

OP
OP
silshooter

silshooter

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
This is a new 2010.. had 44 miles on the clock at the purchase, 528 now, no changes to the wiring system yet. Did the Km to Mpg and disconnected the battery, without success. Guess I need to pull the plastic and look for connectors and or bi-metal oxidation in the connectors. Need to order a service manual also. Thanks for the suggestions....

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
There has been at least one instance of a faulty instrument panel that I am aware of.

The problems with that bike were many and varied and after many months being parked in the workshop a senior Honda engineer finally diagnosed the problem (after many other items were replaced including the full wiring harness)

It is possible that your instrument panel is faulty so please consider this during your diagnosis.

Top Bottom