fuel question

Vannich510

As a new nt owner, I was wondering what octane people are using.
So far I have been using premium. Another question. With my Klr I used a fuel additive to keep the carbs from gumming up. Is this necessary with the NT??

maxweljames

If this forum is anything like other bike forums you may have opened the hornet's nest with that question.

Personally, I use the cheapest fuel I can find, which usually means 87 octane here in the USA. I think most stations near me are running about 10% ethanol. I'm averaging about 53 mpg (58 mpg on the gauge). It's been running fine for 4400 miles with that cheap gas.

elizilla

I use the octane recommended in the owner's manual. 87. 21000 miles and counting, with a 51.2 mpg overall average. I've not had any pinging, ever.

If premium makes you feel happier, go for it. But there's no factual basis for that particular warm fuzzy.

I do put fuel stabilizer in it, in winter, when it may go a two or three months between fill-ups. None of my FI bikes have had the troubles my carbed bikes did, but I never liked cleaning carbs and I have no desire to learn to clean injectors, and I still have carbed bikes so I hafta buy Sta-Bil anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Bruce, With the NT's moderate compression ratio, the lowest octane you can buy will save you the most money and, oddly enough, actually make the most power. Octane is a measure of resistance to "knock," which is explosive pre-ignition. Anti-knock compounds actually reduce the power in the cylinder's fuel charge, but since engines that need higher octane have higher compression ratios, they make more power by not having to deal with pre-ignition.

But with your NT, the lowest octane rating is the best. Out here in the mountain west, where altitudes are higher, we can buy 85 octane gas and it works fine too.

The reason is that with the thinner air, we are compressing less air, so we don't even need 87 octane. Last Monday I took an airplane ride with a friend who has a high-tech engine monitor. His plane is a Cessna 182 with a 230-hp Continental. Full throttle with full rich mixture and the prop turning its red-line (2600 rpm, IIRC) would give that 230 hp at sea-level with standard conditions. But here at 4500 feet, the same 2600 rpm, and full throttle only gave, according to the engine monitor, 87% of max hp for 201 hp. I noticed that my friend used full-rich mixture, and might have gotten a little more power if he had leaned to 50 degrees above peak temperature. But a bit of extra fuel makes the engine run cooler and that gives longer engine life.

With the NT's fuel injection, we don't have to monitor as many factors as pilots do when they're flying engines without all the electronic wizardry.

BTW, as far as I know you don't need fuel additives to protect the engine like you used with your KLR. With the KLR, you've got fuel sitting there in the carburetor evaporating its most volatile compounds and getting "gummy." With the NT, it's not doing that.

Congrats on a great bike and welcome to the Forum!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I use the middle grade, which is usually 88, just to stay above recommended. Regular around here is 86.

And yes, I could probably do with 86 since I live at 6700ft and work at 5000ft.

As Phil said, the lower the octane, the more energy the fuel contains.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Bruce,

I use 87 octane "Regular", with 10% ethanol, as well with no issues. I do make sure I am buying a "Top Tier" gas, not some left over swill, from a reputable chain...

Since the NT is FI we don't have carbs to gum up...but the Fuel Injectors can if left with cheap gas to long. The only time I use any fuel additive is if the bike will be sitting for a very long period and not started. Then I use Stabil and fill the gas tank totally in my bikes and yard "stuff"...

Bike
Bonneville T120
I use 87 octane gas and average close to 55 mpg. That's an estimate as I don't keep meticulous records, but when I divide the miles travelled by the gallons I put in I virtually always get something between 53 and 58 mpg. I do little freeway driving as I have little need of it and I find US and State highways more interesting. On the freeways it's probably 51 to 55 mpg.
All of the rides get enough use during the summer that stabilizer isn't needed. As winter is approaching, more rapidly here in Maine that in most other parts of the country, I am preparing to put the cycles and scooters to bed for their long winter's nap. I will used fuel stabilizer for all the bikes. My stabilizer of choice is K100. The reason for my choice is that my local motorcycle dealer claims that they experimented with all of the stabilizers on the market. They found that fuel with K100 basically doesn't break down whereas fuel with the others does eventually. Now it could be that they just got a large shipment of K100 that they had to unload and they gave me a line of BS. I know these people well and I doubt it. They are so committed to it that they don't stock anything else. I have never had any problem when using it.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Gasoline is a blend of hydrocarbons and a fungible product. Local station house keeping water monitoring filter maintenance and such has more impact on product quality than most of the other factors. The base stocks all come out of the same tanks at the distribution terminals with brand specific additives being the only difference. For gasoline to be sold as a motor fuel it is required to have prescribed detergent levels.

Use what the manufacturer recommends. Regular for the NT and add stabilizer when there is going to be ice and snow on the roads keeping the bike idle. No problem yet with this approach so far.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
manual says 87, i use 87. you will see no performance gains or better mpg using higher than what is recommended, unless it just makes you feel better to spend more per tank than you need to. the oil companies have no problem with that mindset.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I don't like to second guess people who know more than I do--which is a lot of people--particularly Honda Engineers. They say 87, I use 87. Every couple of months I do add the prescribed dose of Lucas Injector cleaner and top oil. I use it on all my vehicles with good results. It is very important on engines that run hot--like my Suburban Turbo Diesel. For winter storage Marine Stabil--The BLUE stuff works very well. I have a glass quart bottle of gasoline with blue Stabil added that has been on a shelf for 11 months with no sign whatsoever of phase separation. I don't plan to store "Merlot" that long.

Bike
2010 NT700V
87 octane from Kwik Star. Says Top Tier on their pumps. I have researched ethanol in fuel AD NAUSEUM, and though I live in the middle of Corn Country, it no longer is used in ANYTHING I own. Alcohol is like a germ . . . it likes to eat its host.
I have gotten a high of 57.9 and a low of 51.8 mpg using an Excel spreadsheet to calculate mileage from the odometer and gas receipts. No guessing. The mpg readouts from the bike are WILDLY optimistic.

elizilla

Good luck finding fuel without ethanol. In Michigan they changed the law so the stations don't even have to label it any more, and I don't think we're the only state like that. I pretty much assume that I'm getting it whether or not the pump has a sign saying so. Down near Deal's Gap there are a couple of stations that advertise that they DON'T have it, but there aren't any of those, that I know of, anywhere near home. There's a website with a list of ethanol-free stations, but all the Michigan stations are either airports or marinas, or they are of dubious veracity.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
As Katherine said--airports or marinas for non-ethanol. Trouble is that in both places the gas is 91 to 93 Octane. OK for your BMW or Porsche--not OK for the Honda. I am not so sure what we will do when we get to the 15 and 20% level. I do know that on my cage the gas mileage went down from 37 to 34 MPG. I think that is significant.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I use the recommended 87 octane. No ethanol in my NT only because of my salesman's stern recommendation to not use it. I don't know if this was based on any research or just his opinion; I suspect it was just his opinion. Anyway, there are many places here that sell pure gas so it's easy to find.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Mike, You are indeed a lucky man! For the record,The NT will run fine on 10% Ethanol---probably better on Non-Ethanol fuel. I do suspect that the Ethanol lobby will reach Oklahoma in the near forseeable future. My personal opinion is that the whole Ethanol thing is some sort of a ruse. What sort of mileage are you getting on the good stuff?

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
The NT tells me she's getting an avg of 58.8. I'm a bit of a slow poke and use the bike to commute 36 miles round trip daily to work in heavy traffic. Dont know how much difference that makes if at all on gas mileage.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
As long as I stay in town my mileage is well above 50, usually averages 55 (max speed is around 75, usually 70 and below). But, when I hit the highway and cruise at 80-85 the mileage drops to below 50.

Bike
Silver NT700V
The NT tells me she's getting an avg of 58.8. I'm a bit of a slow poke and use the bike to commute 36 miles round trip daily to work in heavy traffic. Dont know how much difference that makes if at all on gas mileage.
The NT computer is quite optimistic. By calc I get in the upper 50's (56 - 58) on highway if speeds are kept to under 70. Over 75 mileage suffers (but you cover ground much faster). I fill on the side stand and up to the top. Try to do it the same way every time.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

OP
OP

Vannich510

Thanks for the responses

Based on the reponses, I will save the pennies and use regular. Here in Ms we are all 10% ethanol, and it sounds as if the nt will run fine on a 10% mix.. thanks

87 with 10%ethanol and 52mpg all the time. REcommend fuel stabilizer as Honda has sent such advice to my dealer-saw bulletin.

Top Bottom