[How To] Fuze box with push to on

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
I am thinking of putting a fuse box on my NT and GS.

What I want to do is:

1) Have the fuse box fed by a relay which can be switched on by pressing a push button momentarily.

2) Once the bike is switched off, the relay should automatically release, so that next time the bike is started, it does not turn on. Only the push button turns it on.

Packing List:
The idea is that once the push button switches on the relay, one pole of the relay energizes the circuit, the second pole feeds back to the relay to keep it on. As soon as the bike power is switched off, the relay switches off.

Thoughts on the feasibility? OR is some commercial solution is already there for a time delay relay or self locking relay (not sure if I am using the right terms).

1623547233583.png

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Standard self-retention circuit...
Supply to your control relay must not come directly from the battery (once engaged it won't turn off unless you pull the fuse or disconnect the battery šŸ˜), but from an ACC controlled circuit (quartet harness output), I'd add a 1 to 5A inline fuse for safety...
The line through SW2 to your fuse block however must come from the battery/mains line, add a 15 or 20A inline fuse there (your F1)...

AFAIK are there fuse blocks with an internal ACC relay avail, feed that coil from the quartet harness (the consumer side from the battery) and your set... I'd keep it simple...

I still wonder why you folks need that many electrical outlets anyway... šŸ¤”
GPS, tunes, radio/intercom does for me, currents easily handled by the OEM ACC port/outlet... (the OEM heated grips are actually supplied at the front brake light switch...)

Last edited:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
i have Eastern Beaver fuse block, i have 2 switched (on) and rest unswitched (only come on when bike is on) no relay, you might search to see what is available as to switched / unswitched

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I don't understand your need to switch it OFF and ON and in many ways this seems to defeat the idea of using a relay that does everything automatically?

Both my bikes have switched ON systems: the NT700V with a self-made system using an auto accessory fuse panel and the NC700X with an Eastern Beaver 3-outlet unit.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got a Fuzeblock on my bike. Choice of switched and unswitched circuits. Heated gear, GPS, cruise control are on it. GPS is unswitched so I can leave it on to keep track of total elapsed time.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My GPS when disconnected from power switches over to its internal batteries. I saw no need to have it not switched off when I turned off the ignition.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
My GPS when disconnected from power switches over to its internal batteries. I saw no need to have it not switched off when I turned off the ignition.
Warren, I want my GPS to keep running when I've got the bike stopped and powered off when I'm doing things like Iron Butt certificate rides or, in the past, when I was riding in a Rally that took me across time zones. The rest of the time, I turn it off when I stop.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Within reason, a modern Garmin GPS can run on its own internal battery for at least an hour, maybe longer? And I believe most current GPS' will switch time zones automatically.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I've got a Fuzeblock on my bike. Choice of switched and unswitched circuits. Heated gear, GPS, cruise control are on it. GPS is unswitched so I can leave it on to keep track of total elapsed time.
It's also useful so that from time to time you can run yer battery down...... I'm just sayin'

:rofl1:

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
What value is knowing the "total elapsed time" unless it's for some type of competition?

Top Bottom