Gear shift lever fell off

Most on this forum should know to Loctite ( an adhesive glue) should be good maintenance procedure to spread on threads to help insure Allen head bolt will not come loose. I would be curious if some have done this and it still worked loose. I had to hunt to find Allen head wrench to put in tool bag.

The footpeg holder is made of a special reinforced plastic and is plenty strong but whether or not it can hold a metal thread insert is questionable. At the NT Gathering a few years ago, one of the riders suffered the thread insert coming loose. It came out in pieces and reminded me of curly bits on the floor from a lathe project. Fortunately, he was able to salvage the weekend by wrapping thin strips of duct tape over/around the pivot bolt to keep it in place.

I had that bolt fall out while at an event in KY and luckily my friend saw it hit the ground so stopped to retrieve it. I reinstalled it
then rode without incident for the rest of the weekend. During the week, I removed the footpeg holder then ground the backside of the holder to provide clearance so I could install a thin nut/w star lockwasher. Even if the thread insert comes loose, the shifter pivot bolt stays in place.

If you look at your NT, you'll find no space behind that bolt for a nut so it might help you understand my mod. :)

Attachments

• 2018-07-10 09.49.06 - Copy.jpg
    2018-07-10 09.49.06 - Copy.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
The footpeg holder is made of a special reinforced plastic and is plenty strong but whether or not it can hold a metal thread insert is questionable. At the NT Gathering a few years ago, one of the riders suffered the thread insert coming loose. It came out in pieces and reminded me of curly bits on the floor from a lathe project. Fortunately, he was able to salvage the weekend by wrapping thin strips of duct tape over/around the pivot bolt to keep it in place.

I had that bolt fall out while at an event in KY and luckily my friend saw it hit the ground so stopped to retrieve it. I reinstalled it
then rode without incident for the rest of the weekend. During the week, I removed the footpeg holder then ground the backside of the holder to provide clearance so I could install a thin nut/w star lockwasher. Even if the thread insert comes loose, the shifter pivot bolt stays in place.

If you look at your NT, you'll find no space behind that bolt for a nut so it might help you understand my mod. :)
That was Kevin from Cleveland .....

Sometimes I wish as was able to write country songs. I think 'My Gear Shift Fell OFF" could become a classic. Wish has had a 6th gear? My Latches Broke! I see a Gold Record if I could only play a instrument.

Back
Top Bottom