Getting intimate with my new FJR

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
There have been reports over on the FJR forum that the drive splines and U-joint does not have enough lube on them from the factory. So today I decided to get intimate with Ruby and find out. Pulled the rear wheel. (About the same as the ST) Pulled the cover to access the U-Joint. ( Much easier than the ST. Do not need to pull swing arm.) And pulled the rear drive. About the same as the ST) U-Joint just comes out and is very easy to lube as necessary. Took about 30 min to get to that point. Will lube up all the parts with Honda Molly and then hope I remember how it all goes back together. Seems to be real easy Job. The pictures show the factory lube with 1600 miles on the bike.
Attached Thumbnails Attache

Attachments

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Bike is all back together. No extra parts, no shortage of parts. Really an easy job. Should be a requirement at the 600 mile check up, or at least at the first tire change. Now just have to wait until spring to test ride it

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Chuck thanks for the info and pictures.

From your pictures it certainly does look like there could be more lube on those parts from the factory.

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
So Chuck. What do you think about the amount lube from the factory. It's a little hard to tell from the pictures.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
So Chuck. What do you think about the amount lube from the factory. It's a little hard to tell from the pictures.
Not enough lube. Probably not going to hurt it in the short run, but I feel better knowing the splines on the u-joint, drive shaft, rear drive, and rear wheel are lubed with Honda Molly 60. It was fairly easy, having the correct hand tools. No specials tools were needed. And I now know how to do the job if necessary in the years to come.

Silver Ranger

This is been heavily debated among FJR owners for years. I would agree with JohnC that a thin film is all that is needed based on what i have read.

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
This is been heavily debated among FJR owners for years. I would agree with JohnC that a thin film is all that is needed based on what i have read.
Maybe so. but now I know for sure and I do know the value of the Honda Molly 60. No more doubts in my mind.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I suspect that occurrences of dry final drive components were more common several years ago. OTOH, one of the things I did early on was to pull apart and inspect the final drive components - including the U-joint.

I also wanted to be sure that I could r/r the rear wheel if I had to. A warning: the ABS makes installing the rear wheel a little tricky.

Two good sites for FJR servicing:
http://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/maint.html
http://www.fjrtech.net/maint.cfm

OP
OP
Chucksklrst
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I suspect that occurrences of dry final drive components were more common several years ago. OTOH, one of the things I did early on was to pull apart and inspect the final drive components - including the U-joint.

I also wanted to be sure that I could r/r the rear wheel if I had to. A warning: the ABS makes installing the rear wheel a little tricky.

Two good sites for FJR servicing:
http://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/maint.html
http://www.fjrtech.net/maint.cfm
I agree the ABS pickup plate was a bit of a challenge to align with the rear brake caliper mount. As the manual was not very detailed on that procedure. A third hand would have been very helpful. Now that I know how to to it, no more problems. Having a lift table sure does make servicing ones machine more enjoyable.

Top Bottom