Givi Top Box quick release top box thingy

Igo

I have resisted this form the beginning but the utilitie and functionality of Rick's Givi 55 cannot be denied, especially when it is this obvious I will be doing a lot of very long rides.
I'm still going to finish building my luggage rack but it is going to have issues. It won't allow me to take off the seat and it hides the tail lights from hi-profile vehicles.
I bought the SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack and the SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Topcase Adapter Plate for attaching Soft Luggage. I'm looking at the 55 litre model Rick has (don't know the model) and the Givi V46. Do I need the "SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Topcase Adapter Plate for attaching Soft Luggage" to mount a quick release adapter? Do I need a quick release adapter or is the "SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Topcase Adapter Plate for attaching Soft Luggage" the quick release adapter? I'm kinda confused.
Lastly, where is the best place to buy one of these top boxes.
Thanks a bunch gang.

elizilla

Also, you want to make sure you get the Monokey stuff and not the Monolock. Givi has two styles of mounting hardware but all the commonly used motorcycle cases are Monokey - the Monolock line is focused on smaller cases, designed for scooters, and you almost never see any of them.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I love my V46 from Twisted Throttle. I think they started pushing Phil's Coo Cases- that's all they had at their NYC Show booth. I ordered this case and the Givi mounting plate which could be used to attached stuff instead of the case, but since your passenger seat is free you could easily attach a tent and other longish camping gear there. I love the convenience of the top case. I put my back pack there on my daily commute and fill it before bothering to open the side cases. I!m cheap but have never regretted this purchase.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Thanks for the good word about the Givi V46 top case. it is on the farkle list. I pan to buy from Twisted Throttle as they have given me excellent customer service so far. I would say if you cannot figure out what you need form their web sire, call their customer service. They will assist you with an order and keep you from having to return stuff.

OP
OP

Igo

I'm still choking on the thought of spending another $350 just like I did with the Corbin seat. I'm pretty sure it's going to happen though.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm still choking on the thought of spending another $350

Hey, Igo, you are among friends and it's only money.

Plus top boxes are really handy. Odds are that once it's on it'll never come off.

OP
OP

Igo

Hey, Igo, you are among friends and it's only money.

Plus top boxes are really handy. Odds are that once it's on it'll never come off.
Well, I have a couple really great tour bags and the flat rack that goes with this luggage rack too. Anyway. Here I go again. I sure hope this finishes this. I sure hope they are still making NTs when I wear this one out.

OP
OP

Igo

I really don't like the looks of these things and I'm convinced they are a wreck to aerodynamics but I have to weigh the pros and cons and right now I am not prepared for multi-day touring. My best option is the luggage rack accessery and a quick release top box. I can keep the bike trim around town or out at the lake or I can add the top box for longer distinations. We'll see.

OP
OP

Igo

So, I ordered the V46 and the quick release adapter and that little Stop-n-Go compressor. I did not order the mushroom plus though.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I really don't like the looks of these things and I'm convinced they are a wreck to aerodynamics but I have to weigh the pros and cons and right now I am not prepared for multi-day touring.

Aerodynamics on a motorcycles are pretty much a wreck from the widest/highest point on the fairing/windshield anyway. I can guarantee you that the top box doesn't sit in anything but disturbed air. It's behind your body, for cryin' out loud! You'll like it. Then when you get the big lids, you'll be fixed.

OP
OP

Igo

Aerodynamics on a motorcycles are pretty much a wreck from the widest/highest point on the fairing/windshield anyway. I can guarantee you that the top box doesn't sit in anything but disturbed air. It's behind your body, for cryin' out loud! You'll like it. Then when you get the big lids, you'll be fixed.
I'm sure it will be just fine. I really more sure of the NTs capabilities everyday and I need the loading capacity.

OP
OP

Igo

My GIVI V46 arrived today in a crushed box and has a split across the top of the shell. Let's see how involved a return/replacement is going to be.

OP
OP

Igo

My new/replacement GIVI V46 will be here Wed. UPS picked up the broken one today. I hate it that is was broken but this is working out just fine.

Top Bottom