Givi Top Box quick release top box thingy

maxweljames

Just to chime in, I received my Givi 55 on Thursday, in a similarly crushed box. I feared the worst when I saw it, even more when I pulled the unit from the crumpled cardboard to find it wrapped in a single layer of bubble wrap. I was lucky that day and the only damage is a small mark on the lid, but I'm getting the color matched top for it so I'm not concerned. Install was easy, took about an hour for me, including wiring the LED's. Only complaint comes from the wife, she hates the back pad, says it sticks out too far and forces her to lean more forward than she wants. Guess I'll be sealing up two holes some night this week. Good luck with getting the new one in undamaged.

elizilla

The Givi back pads are terrible - they hit in the wrong place to be comfortable, so they just take up space. If the passenger wears a jacket with a back protector, they're already wearing a cushion. And every Givi I've had, has had a reasonable shape to lean against, without the pad.

CoolNT

Just to chime in, I received my Givi 55 on Thursday, in a similarly crushed box. I feared the worst when I saw it, even more when I pulled the unit from the crumpled cardboard to find it wrapped in a single layer of bubble wrap. I was lucky that day and the only damage is a small mark on the lid, but I'm getting the color matched top for it so I'm not concerned. Install was easy, took about an hour for me, including wiring the LED's. Only complaint comes from the wife, she hates the back pad, says it sticks out too far and forces her to lean more forward than she wants. Guess I'll be sealing up two holes some night this week. Good luck with getting the new one in undamaged.
I have the same setup with the Givi pad e111. My daughter loves it and hasn't complained once. After installing it, I was also wondering about it for a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

Igo

I'll know Wednesday. That is when the second one comes in.

maxweljames

I got my color match cover yesterday, installation is fairly easy, but a little weak in my opinion. You have to drill two holes in the top of the box, the cover has plastic studs that poke into the holes which you secure from the inside using a funky spacer with oring(which is impossible to get into place for proper sealing) and self tapping screws to lock down the studs. To me it looks like a good wind would rip the whole thing off. Regardless of hardware, I'll be pulling the spacers off and applying a little RTV for additional sealing, I'm positive the included orings are NOT working. On a brighter note, the color is a perfect match.

How did your parts look on arrival Igo?

OP
OP

Igo

My first parts look terrible. The top was cracked. The replacement looked great but won't latch. Round 3 coming up.

maxweljames

So during the reinstall of the spacers for my colored top one of the plastic studs break, and to answer the first question out there, no I did not over tighten it. From what I can tell, the sidewall of the stud is too thin and the sheet metal screw that they provided cuts right through that thin sidewall. So what I perceived as a weak attachment was in fact a weak attachment, go figure. Hit the hardware store on the way home, found a pair of nice matte toned stainless steal carriage bolts. Blends pretty well with the silver metallic paint, popped a couple holes in the color top, couple drops of sealant on a large area washer and ta da, installed and very secure in my opinion. I'll try and snap a couple pics tomorrow.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have a question for those of you that have ordered both the SW-Motech Alu rack and Givi adapter. Mine came this week and I tried to install it tonight. I got the rack on, but it appears as the quick release or "cam locks" are too short. It is as if they put too many compression washers. I am tempted to "crush" them with pliers.

Specifically, my problem is that the adapter fits fine, but I can't seem to get the quick release locks to engage with the rack.

Anybody else run into this?

OP
OP

Igo

Make sure the tangs line up with the slots that they cam into then ball up your fist (or use a soft mallet) to run the adapter down just a little more. Press down on the adapter as you feel/hunt for the slots. It will go, it just needs a little nudging the first time or two.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Make sure the tangs line up with the slots that they cam into then ball up your fist (or use a soft mallet) to run the adapter down just a little more. Press down on the adapter as you feel/hunt for the slots. It will go, it just needs a little nudging the first time or two.
Thanks for the encouragement. I already kinda tried this, but was pushing hard enough that it didn't feel right. I just need to get those compression washers a little flatter. I will give it another go this evening.

Top Bottom