Goldplug oil drain plug

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
You may want to check to see if the Final Drive bolt and the oil drain bolt are the same threads.... The FD bolt on the ST is magnetic and I believe some have purchased one of those for use as an oil drain bolt as well.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Anyone using a Goldplug oil drain plug (Model MP-02)?
http://www.goldplug.com/
I am not using it but my Yamaha has two very large drain bolts and they both have magnets in them. When changing the oil they sometimes have metal wiskers on them but the Yamaha does not have a spin on oil filter. It just has two metal screen filters. I would think the paper element spin on filter that we use on the NT would trap most metal particles and the magnetic would not be all that useful.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Been using Sam's Rare Earth magnets from Radio Shack on all my vehicles for years. Those things really work.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Have you collected a lot of metal with them, Alex? I thought the statement that our oil filters ought to catch most of the debris made sense. If the magnets catch very much on the NT, I'd think about getting one. They were only $14.99.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
You may want to check to see if the Final Drive bolt and the oil drain bolt are the same threads.... The FD bolt on the ST is magnetic and I believe some have purchased one of those for use as an oil drain bolt as well.
GREAT IDEA MELLOW:hat2:

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Maybe the rare earth magnet that can lift a two pound wrench on the GoldPlug is a gimmick, but I got to thinking when I put one on my Connie that even though the filter would keep any chunks in the sump from going around the circuit again, if some interestingly large piece of metal were go gravatate to the GoldPlug due to its large magnetic force, it would be good to know about it. "Hey everbody, look! A ball bearing came out with my drain plug....oh oh...this cant be good"

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I personally think it's a gimmick. I feel the filter will catch anything large enough to make a difference and if Honda would have thought a bigger magnet was needed they would have put one on the bike.

I've never used one on any of my bikes that wasn't part of the OEM system and I've never had an engine problem or seen more than a smudge of gunk built up on the magnet.

I say buy more gas instead.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I agree with Mellow. On the other hand its not that expensive so if it gives you added peace of mind then go for it. It is certainly not going to do any harm.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I actually do agree with Mellow. I confess I havent studies the oil system of this bike yet. If there is a gravel strainer on the oil pump inlet, it would keep out any really big chunks, say twice the size of a pinhead, and anything smaller would be caught by the filter, assuming the bypass isnt open such as it is on a cold day.....and yet, while the likely hood of ever seeing a big chunk is small, something tells me it would be interesting to find one....
I know that makes no sense.....

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Wow, Chris! Those were cool pix. What was the engine? Reno racer?

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Wow, Chris! Those were cool pix. What was the engine? Reno racer?
Pic one and two are from the whipsawing con rod of "Merlin's Magic" at Reno. The Highly modifyed Mustang's engine let go and the rod
cut the block in half. The heads held the engine together....I got to hold the piston. The block was auctioned off later....
Pic 3 is from a Sports class reno racer that blew. He was going over 400 mph when there was a catostrophic oil leak near the filter.
The prop went fine pitch, oversped and disintegrated, while the engine oversped and exploaded....the engine mounts were gone and the
engine was held on by the saftey cables....I have never heard such a sound in my life.....Kevin Eldridge got the plane down and the fire dept
put out the engine fire just as it caught...., saving the plane.

Here is the incident on Youtube....listen for the prop to expload.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLLG2_ErvJs

This next video isnt quite as good but it shows Merlin's Magic engine blowing, the plane landing, and the engine switch...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAPFTUi4Vr8

Last edited:
Top Bottom