Good thing this bike was reasonably priced!

loonytuna

The original cost was reasonable, the adjusted cost with accessories is a moving target!

I'm liking this bike more and more each time I ride it - Now with 1,645 miles.

I swear it has increased in power as it is breaking in.

I have just ordered Alaska Leathers sheepskins because they are cooler in the summer, which is rapidly approaching.

I have also ordered (should have it today) a FIRSTGEAR LAGUNA GPS TANK BAG WITH BACKPACK - I'll let you know how it fits, I liked the idea of the backpack and taking the GPS with me when I get off the bike.

So now with the top case, pannier liner/bags, risers, kaoko cruise, Corbin seat, custom highway pegs (still in the design stage), power outlet, sheepskins, new tank bag and SPOT GPS locator, I'm just about done.

Still on the list, maybe a windshield.

What am I missing??

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Ya' gotta' be gettin' close.

Until the next thing comes along.

OP
OP

loonytuna

MONEY!!!!!!!!!!! - yeah, I had more before, that's for sure!

Phil - Never truer words were spoken ......... is there NO END!!!!!!!!!!

It's an addiction!

Bike
Silver NT700V
We don't seem to be able to leave well enough alone. Personally, I like the stock windshield so i was safe on that one. About to order my second seat though.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Seeing as you have the much faster red NT that keeps getting faster as it ages, a radar detector may be in order. I have one and although I really do not speed much there are those speed trap places!

OP
OP

loonytuna

Hey Rocky - "choice words ... choice words .... choice words" .... (I mean that in the friendliest of ways of course ... figure of speech and all) .......... I hadn't thought of that at all, now I'm gonna be even poorer!

Wait, I can use the one from my truck, the same one I NEVER plug in!

Of course, maybe it's so fast that it's just a BLUR and they won't see me!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The original cost was reasonable, the adjusted cost with accessories is a moving target!

I have just ordered Alaska Leathers sheepskins because they are cooler in the summer, which is rapidly approaching.

I have also ordered (should have it today) a FIRSTGEAR LAGUNA GPS TANK BAG WITH BACKPACK - I'll let you know how it fits, I liked the idea of the backpack and taking the GPS with me when I get off the bike.

So now with the top case, pannier liner/bags, risers, kaoko cruise, Corbin seat, custom highway pegs (still in the design stage), power outlet, sheepskins, new tank bag and SPOT GPS locator, I'm just about done.

What am I missing??
undercowl
large pannier lids
knuckle deflectors
fenda extenda

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Oh, yeah! You gotta' have the wind deflectors. I like the undercowl, and the fenda extenda keeps some crud off your exhaust pipes. Large pannier lids are worth it if you travel for any length of time. I was just at the Honda of Bournemouth site checking for RedBird, and they're selling the lids for less than a private party on EBay was selling them and the Private Party wouldn't ship to the US. H of B will and they're pretty good people to work with.

Just in cast you can't stand it, here's their link:

http://www.hondaofbournemouth.co.uk/products/honda-panniers-9/nt700v-deauville-large-pannier-lid-set-14800.aspx

Bike
Silver NT700V
What was your first one? What's wrong with it? And what's going to be your 2nd one?

Curious minds want to know.
First one was the Sargent premium foam upgrade. It works WAY better than stock and I can do 600 miles or so on it. Not my "1000 mile seat" though. Mainly, when I first got it the seat dish was a little too far back as I am short of arm and leg. I aske Sargent to move the rise forward which they did, literally. They only moved the rise, not the whole seating area. The result is that I am sitting on about half the intended deating area.

I have made contact with Rick Meyer and plan to send an order to him soon with LOTS of photos.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
First one was the Sargent premium foam upgrade. It works WAY better than stock and I can do 600 miles or so on it. Not my "1000 mile seat" though. Mainly, when I first got it the seat dish was a little too far back as I am short of arm and leg. I aske Sargent to move the rise forward which they did, literally. They only moved the rise, not the whole seating area. The result is that I am sitting on about half the intended deating area.

I have made contact with Rick Meyer and plan to send an order to him soon with LOTS of photos.
Let me know how it works out. I also want to buy a Rick Mayer seat in the near future.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I've looked at lots of sites but kept coming back to Rick Meyer. One reason is that I recall a post where you (Chuck H) said you had one on one of your other bikes and would get another. He also seems to htake a very individual approch which to each saddle.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I've looked at lots of sites but kept coming back to Rick Meyer. One reason is that I recall a post where you (Chuck H) said you had one on one of your other bikes and would get another. He also seems to htake a very individual approch which to each saddle.
Yes, I have three from him. Just want to follow how your order comes along and how it fits the NT.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I didn't see aux driving ights, nor additional rear lights, nor Heated grips, or did I just miss them?
Also a voltage indicator of some sort to moniter charging system!

Youknow all of your fellow forum members will keep on helping you spend big chunks of change so your pokets will be lighter and you won't be getting any overload tickets!

eldon

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I didn't see aux driving ights, nor additional rear lights, nor Heated grips, or did I just miss them?
Also a voltage indicator of some sort to moniter charging system!

Youknow all of your fellow forum members will keep on helping you spend big chunks of change so your pokets will be lighter and you won't be getting any overload tickets!

eldon
Being that loonytuna lives in Florida I doubt if he needs the heated grips but he might want the Veskimo Cooling System that Rick briefly investigated.

1TRAK

What am I missing??
Sorry to hear of your Farkle Flu. About the time you think it's run the course... well it hasn't! I caught the flu shortly after joining this site, farkled the NT to my liking and thought it had run it's course. I was ok for a while, bought the VStrom and now it's back! LOL

BTW, get the wind deflectors, they work great for cold weather.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Good luck with Rick Meyer. Lots of people have had good luck with him. I didn't.

I had sent him my Concours saddle when he told me he'd be ready to start building it. We had talked about the fact that he had 6 weeks window to get it built and returned to me because I had a big trip scheduled. He assured me that would be more than enough time and promised the seat back in three weeks.

Three weeks came and went. I called him daily during the window in which his voicemail message says that he answers the phone. No answer. I emailed him daily. No answer. Finally I called information and got a home phone number for an R. Meyer. I called the number and asked the little girl who answered if her daddy was home (it was about 8PM California time). She got him and when I asked him what was going on, he exploded, shouting at me that I had no right to call him at home and that he had a phone at the shop and checked email and I should have tried those ways of making contact.

When I told him I had been trying them every day for two weeks, he said, "Well, I've been out of town. I had to go to two BMW rallies."

I managed to borrow another rider's seat before I left on my trip. When I got back the seat was here, but I was never pleased with the way it fit me. I sent it back to him once (during the winter) and he kept it for three weeks and when it came back, the rider's position was improved, but the pillion still didn't work for my wife. Since that was about the time that her bursitis started keeping her off theb bike, I didn't worry about it again.

My experience with Russell has been great and my seats have fit me perfectly. I recommend them whole-heartedly and without any reservations.

That said, I believe that Rick's customer service has improved.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
After having a Russell I'm hooked. It is a perfect touring seat as far as I am concerned. For the NT I can't see spending a significant amount of money on any other mfg.

If I want something really special, but, not touring, I'll go to Rich Maund. He moved from Moto Guzzi seats to Ural stuff as his main line. But, for something that works and fits the flow of the bike, he's my guy (he's also ex-Navy).

Generally, it will take from $400 to $600 for a really good seat. At that price I won't fool around with anything that "might" work.

Sometimes you can find a local shop that does good bike seats. It is worth your time to check them out. If they do good work they are usually much less expensive than the name brands. But, beware of the ones who consider the looks more important than the foam.

elizilla

I'm a committed RDL buyer, but then my wife would say that I've been committed, regardless of the subject...
I'm glad you are still liking the RDL, even though it was made to my measure not yours. :)

Top Bottom