GPS Issues Lead to a Longer Ride...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If you read my posts, you know that I've had frustrations with my $499 Garmin Zumo XT. I realized it wasn't working right when I rode to St. Francis, KS, to meet Mike Simmons to begin our ride to the NT/ST Rally in Spearfish. Before I got to St. Francis, 160 miles from Greeley, I was seeing a message that said something like "External power has been lost..." By the time Mike and I were back to Wray, about 50 miles from St. Francis, the GPS was out of juice and wasn't working.

I charged it overnight and made it most of the way to Crawford, NE, where I was meeting Jim Moore (Mike had been sick and headed home to Missouri). Again, it wasn't long after Jim and I left Crawford, that it started showing the message again. By Spearfish, it was dead as a doornail. I called Garmin from the motel and the tech I was talking to wanted me to take the power cord out of the mount, but some engineering genius at Garmin had decided that their previous power cord system which had worked great for me with two different Zumos and a cheapy that I used in Joanne's car could be improved. They used the world's smallest Phillips head screw to anchor the power cord to the mount and I didn't have a screwdriver that would work. I charged the GPS and it worked about halfway home to Greeley.

I had the same kind of experience on my way to Spokane and back on my trip to do the trade of Dudley for Horse. I spent some time with a different Garmin tech and he told me that they'd been having some problems with the mount not holding the Zumo steady and they'd also had some issues with the power cord. He said he'd send me replacements. The mount came in 4-5 days, but there was a note saying that power cords were not available. Garmin's power cord supplier was in Germany and they were backlogged. They told me that power cords would be available after October 23rd!!! I expressed my dissatisfaction with something as basic as a power cord keeping a $499 GPS from working and the guy I was talking to commiserated with me, but of course, there wasn't really anything he could do to help.

I changed out the mount and could tell that the new one had a much tighter grip on the GPS. I was hopeful that the new mount would solve my problems and was feeling optimistic when Ken Malone and I joined the MSTA mountain ride a few weeks ago. But just as we got Estes Park, there was the dreaded external power message again.

But Garmin came through early! I got the new power cord from them on Saturday, 13 days before they had even expected to get it. I installed the power cord on Sunday and then today decided to take a longer ride to test it.

I left Greeley at noon, and rode to Brush, turning south on CO-71 and rode to Last Chance. From there I went east on US-36. Last Chance got it's name (I think) because for many years it was the last place you could buy gas before Kansas. No more. Last Chance has nearly expired. There's a United Methodist Church that manages to hang on, but not much else. Not too long after I left Greeley, the wind which had been predicted to be 4-7mph all day showed up. As I was going south on 71, I was watching my gas gauge drop rapidly and knew that I wouldn't make it to Wray (207 miles from home). My Zumo, which was working (and showing that it was connected to external power!!) told me that there was gas at Anton and at Idalia. I stopped at Anton, where I met the most complicated credit card payment system I've ever seen. I finally figured that out and headed on east. The wind just got stronger and stronger.

I rode through Joe's, which has a roadside park and liquor store. Joes is sorta' famous in Colorado because in 1929, they decided they wanted to field a basketball team. They suited up 10 kids and their coach learned the rules of the game and they worked their butts off and ended up taking 3rd place in the National basketball tournament! Here's their roadside park:

IMG_0003.JPG

When I got to Idalia, the gas station was closed and decrepit...but it turned out that there's a new gas station. I could have stopped in Idalia and missed the Anton station's card reader! For a long time, Idalia had a gas station that had been a Texaco station in the 1920s and had been maintained to keep it's original appearance. Not any more.

East of Idalia, I turned north on US-385 and it was amazing. The wind that had battered me for 180 miles became my friend. I know the bike's mpg calculation is really optimistic, but even so, it's cool to be riding 70mph and indicating 70+mpg!

IMG_0022.JPG

385 has some scenery, something no one would ever say about US-36 for most of the way from Last Chance to Idalia.

IMG_0018.JPG

When I got to Holyoke, 244 miles into the ride, I had to turn west. That let me enjoy the wind coming from my left instead of my right. I stopped for gas in Sterling and then was on good ol' Colorado 14 until Briggsdale. By the time was 25 miles east of Briggsdale, I was watching the sunset over the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains. You could see smoke coming from the Cameron Peak fire, northwest of Ft. Collins, and there was other smoke, probably from California. By the time I turned for home at Briggsdale, my eyes were burning.

One thing Frosty had told me was that he had never ridden in the dark. If he had, he would have realized that the bike's headlights need adjusting! They're like Dudley's were for quite a while -- aimed too high. I'll take care of that tomorrow.

I got home at 7:15, after 393 miles. And through it all, my Zumo worked flawlessly!! I'm so excited!! 🤪

Here's a link to the Spotwalla track of the ride: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=24ae15f8674c07914b

Thursday, I'm riding to Colorado Springs to see my son and daughter-in-law and their new house. Friday morning, I'll meet a group of MSTA riders at Apex Sports, one of the best motorcycle dealerships in the state, and we'll head south towards Bishop's Castle and Westcliffe. I'll get over 6,000 miles for the year -- not as much as some years, but more than I thought I'd get!

Stay safe!

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
Wow, that is gr8 ride report .... have fun on Thursday' ride...

Also, Phil, Now that Zumo is up and working , please do my little experiment ;)

Bike
2010 NT700V
Why the need for a dedicated GPS? 10-15 years ago I had one, but I don't see a need in 2020.

My phone charge can last 3 days. I simply pop it in my RAM mount on the NT's handlebar and open Google maps. When there's miles between turns, I tap the power button to shut the screen off to save power. Tapping the power button again awakes the screen back to Google map routing. If I do need to charge, I have a SAE to USB charger I can plug to the battery tender lead.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Well Phil, you had better luck than I did with GPS. I bought the TomTom Rider from Daler on this forum. It was a complete frustration.
1. It lost power same as your Garmin but sooner. I could plug it into the bike if I did't use the mount though.
2. I couldn't plan a trip on TomTom's programs and save it to the GPS because there was no software to do that on a Mac.
3. It couldn't find many attractions even though it was updated.
4. It would put a right turn/left turn in the middle of a road that was straight for 20 miles.
5. It put turns in the road that weren't there.
6. FINAL STRAW - It couldn't find Chris' Campground at Spearfish.
7. I gave it away - Done!

I'm back to paper maps and my phone. That was my last attempt at GPS. My phone isn't water proof and is hard to read in bright light but at least it works every time. The GPS does work well in congested urban areas that I usually avoid anyway.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
The Garmins are much better.

I thought about ditching them and going to the phone but planning/storing and recalling specific routes is something I never figured out how to do... it's simple on the garmin or even with basecamp (I hated basecamp at first but I've gotten used to it now and it's not bad)

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
The Garmins are much better.
Well they couldn't be any worse.
I had the only TomTom model for which then never wrote the software to make it compatible with Mac. Their technical advice was to buy a new TomTom.

I have an automotive Garmin which gets me through cities pretty well.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Why the need for a dedicated GPS? 10-15 years ago I had one, but I don't see a need in 2020.
If you ride out of range of the cell network you need a real GPS. Cell phones apps triangulate your position based on signal stength, tower location, antenna, and SWAG, they do not have GPS capability.

Bike
2010 NT700V
they do not have GPS capability.
Yes they do. Check the specs of your particular phone. Mine does, and it's not even a flagship model by any means. I've been in the middle of the mountains on Forest Service roads and it's been able to pinpoint my location.

The only thing lack of network will do is keep Google maps from refreshing new data. Bit if the route is already loaded, this isn't really an issue.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
On the Triumph, I use the Garmin 590 Tire Pressure Monitor System as well as navigation. It is also independent of cellular data.
I actually use both. I can pre-program exact routes on the Garmin and use the cell phone to find a particular business.

How do you keep the cell phone out of the weather when it gets nasty?

Bike
2010 NT700V
What model phone are you using?
It's just a Motorola. GPS receiver chips built into smartphones isn't remotely new. It's been a pretty standard function for years now.

"Today, most cell phones come with their own GPS tracking system. While the standard GPS that comes in an iPhone or Android phone may not be sensitive enough to give an exact address where the phone is located, it can narrow the location to within a small area"

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I just like a dedicated GPS. I have used my phone for navigating to a patient's house a time or two and it works great. But, I just like a dedicated GPS. Call me a Luddite. :)

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I agree with you Phil but then we're of the same "vintage." :)

I've watched Deb navigate her car using Goggle Maps but never cared for it.

Bike
2010 NT700V
But, I just like a dedicated GPS. Call me a Luddite. :)
I'm a music tech Luddite. I refuse to stream over Spotify or similar, and use a MP3 player. I also like supporting artists by buying their albums digitally. Streaming gets them basically nothing.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My iPhone is IP67 rated which makes it water proof as far as rain is concerned. I like using my phone as my GPS As I always have it with me and it’s convenient. I use it in my car, on my motorcycle and even On occasion when walking in a city. It has an avoidance selection that allows it to avoid expressways and it accesses my contact list seamlessly. Of courses you can’t program your own routes like many of you do but that’s not an issue for me.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Nevermind. The drag and drop with URL doesn't seem to be that reliable transitioning to the app. :cautious:

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V
Ok, route planning on smartphones with just Google maps....

Drag and drop is out. The only reliable method I see is to set your desired route by series of destinations. If there's a series of backroads, this means setting a destination somewhere along that road or just ahead to ensure it gets covered. If Google wants to take you around by finding a quicker way, clear that destination and try again closer until the road gets covered.

Unfortunately, the destination limit is 10. So for a very complex ride, this would mean breaking it up into chunks. Not a deal breaker.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Looking a little deeper, this really isn't that annoying.

-On a computer construct a Google Maps route using up to 10 destinations.
-"Send Directions to Phone"
-Phone will get the notification, open it. Maps will load the route. Click the three little vertical ... in the upper right. "Add Route to Home Screen". Drag and drop the route where you please.
-If the trip contains more, just start a new map on the computer where the first route ended. Repeat send to phone steps above and just place the new route icon next to the first.
-Repeat as needed.

Top Bottom