GPS mount

bicyclist

Here's my version. The dash plastic is mostly unsupported and I didn't want the thing flapping around, so I took off the instrument cover and fabricated an aluminum bracket that runs between the windshield supports under the dash. The bracket curves up to the bottom of the dash and the RAM ball is screwed through the dash into it. The power cord runs through a grommeted hole. I gave it a test run yesterday. It's nicely in the line of vision and doesn't flop around going over bumps.

The Chase Harper tankbag is about 10" wide and works fine with the bars (ongoing project). It's magnetic, so it flips easily out of the way for fueling. I like the large map pocket.

IMG_1172.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I thought about the reach, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. I don't generally fiddle with the thing while I'm riding. I was more interested in having it in easy view. On my F800, the unit is on a RAM mount on the left handlebar. It's easy to see and reach, but it flops around too much over rough roads.

I prefer to use a map in the tankbag and mostly use the GPS as a speedometer and for detail. I almost never use it for routes. Sometimes to locate the motel at the end of the day

I'm working on one of my GPS mounts today as well. Not exactly sure what I'm going to end up with.

bikecyclist : can you post more pictures (and with more details?) thanks

Dave FL. USA : where have you bought your "pontet" (which hold handlebar and your 12v input) thanks

I used RAM Mount, I prefer the GPS at one side, not in my Line Sight..

Attachments

• IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 62
Just to show that opinions and preferences differ -- much prefer mine to be straight ahead. I tried the mounting on the "mirror" hole on the left side clutch handle assembly and couldn't stand it there, so I've got MCL's bar clamp, a RAM mount for the Streetpilot 2720 and a medium RAM ball. I'd post pictures but don't have 'em here.

Just to show that opinions and preferences differ -- much prefer mine to be straight ahead. I tried the mounting on the "mirror" hole on the left side clutch handle assembly and couldn't stand it there, so I've got MCL's bar clamp, a RAM mount for the Streetpilot 2720 and a medium RAM ball. I'd post pictures but don't have 'em here.

Why did you hate it there Phil? My TomTom is going there but my Garmin is going right between the two risers.

Why did you hate it there Phil? My TomTom is going there but my Garmin is going right between the two risers.

If I ever decide to mount a 2nd GPS (which I think of ever now and then) it will go there. My old GPS is a GPSV. It's smaller and lighter than the Street Pilot 2720. The 2720 bounced and vibrated a lot on the mirror mount, plus the side mounting tended to not be as easy to watch without focusing on it. I can watch the road and enter data (not often, but I have been known to do it) with the 2720 between the risers.

I said in Post # 9 that if I had pix I'd post them. I've got them here, so here they come:

Last edited:
I actually have a bar clamp about 4 inches into the handlebars that works out better for the Tom Tom. I just changed to this. I'm sure they will be less bouncy there but I'm sure the bounce will not go away still.

Back
Top Bottom