GPS Ram mount

prof98801

Does anyone have the RAM-B-183U over the brake reservoir GPS mount? This attaches over your brake reservoir and not with a U-bolt. Was wondering how this worked for you. GPS-city told me that this is recommended for the NT700 with a TomTom XL335. If you have a TomTom XL, how long would the battery run without being plugged into your bike?

I do not have this mount, however I have a friend with the same basic mount (replaces the brake reservoir cap) on a different bike. His complaint was that it was very bouncy. The handlebars end up acting as levers off the bike and can have a multiplying effect on every little bump. I recommend the MCL handelbar clamp with RAM mount points built in.

I never used a brake fluid mount, but did use a clutch lever mount for a brief while on my Connie. Same thing...it bounced so much I couldn't read it. I mounted a RAM ball to the top of the dash on the Connie and that worked great, just like the MCL bar clamp RAM ball does on the NT with my Street Pilot 2730.

I add to the list recommending that you use the MCL clamp/ball if you want to mount it to the bars. This is what I use. Helibars has a similar setup for the ST, by the way, available on their handlebar adjustment solution.

I do have my Garmin mounted on the brake fluid cover and I did notice that it vibrates more then when I had it mounted with the U bolt to the handlebars. Its not a lot an didn't interfer with my seeing the readouts.

I've experimented with a left hand mirror mount and on the MCL handlebar risers.

The big advantage of the left hand mirror mount was quick easy operation of the gps...my left hand barely needed to come off the left grip. But it was more exposed to rain & wind, and it vibrated some.

Center mount gps with MCL riser is not as convienient for at-speed-operation as left hand mirror mount, but it vibes less, less rain & wind on it, somewhat more shielded from sun so there is less glare. So my Gps stays in the center on MCL Ram ball. Also the center area gps mount seems to make for an easier eye scan of speedo, gas gauge, gps, and back to the road than the left hand mirror mount. It may just be me.

I considered a brake reservoir mount, but since most operations of a gps is with the left hand, it just wasn't going to work for me because of the need to reach all the way across. If you have cruise control the brake reservoir gps mount would allow your right hand to be free to operator the gps.

I know, shouldn't be playing with a gps while in motion..... usually just changing the zoom. Not like I'm planning a cross continental route on the fly.

Not like I'm planning a cross continental route on the fly.

I confess. I occasionally do searches (fuel and food mostly) and route editing (usually the addition of a single waypoint) while on the fly. This is more likely to happen on long straight stretches of interstate than anywhere else. One of the things I like about the center mount is that my peripheral vision seems to let me keep awareness of traffic while glancing at the GPS.

I've also found the MCL clamp and ball mount to be the best option for me. I have a Zumo 660 mounted thereon. However, I've found it helpful to have the ball mounted in the leftmost position, rather than the center (there are a possible 3 ram balls one can install on this clamp). This allows more flexibility in positioning the GPS and still have access to the powerlet socket underneath while minimizing interference when inserting the ignition key down the mine shaft into the switch.

Back
Top Bottom