Great Sunny Day Ride

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Yesterday I fired up the CB and went for a ride in the foothills of the Colorado Rockies. It was a warm but not stinking hot afternoon so I headed west out of Berthoud to Larimer County Rd 23 then south to CO 66 then west again to Lyons. I headed out of Lyons on CO 7 up the canyon and turned left onto CO 72 - the Peak to Peak Highway. The smoke from the wild fires was not bad as I went through the ups and downs and twists and turns to Nederland. Out of Nederland I headed to the very little town of Eudora. The paved road ends at Eudora so I turned the bike around and headed back north on the Peak to Peak highway to where left CO 7 and continued west on CO 7 to Estes Park. Then I headed back east on US 34 until the turn to Carter Lake and from there on to Berthoud and home.

A great 4 hour ride but the best part was when I headed north out of Nederland on the Peak to Peak and saw a momma Moose and her half grown calf up close. The just walked out of the trees and across the highway looking at me as they crossed and disappeared into the trees again. I was grabbing a hand full of front brake and pressing on the rear brake pedal to get stopped quite quickly. I must have been 50 feet or less from them at that point. I thought "this is great" and "sure don't want to hit a BIG Moose" at about the same time. This is the first time I have seen a Moose this far east of the Continental Divide. Over on the west side of Rocky Mtn. National Park, sure, and I knew they were east of the divide also, I just did not expect them to be almost to the plains. So, in addition to the deer, elk, sheep, etc. watch out for Moose.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I had heard that there were moose on this side of divide, but I still haven't seen any! Sounds like good ride. Maybe week after next or so, we can do a ride together. Next week doesn't sound like that much fun! :-(

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I had heard that there were moose on this side of divide, but I still haven't seen any! Sounds like good ride. Maybe week after next or so, we can do a ride together. Next week doesn't sound like that much fun! :-(
Can I come too? I am starting to think that my NT my have seized up before I can ride it again. :eek:

Macka

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If you go far enough east and <shudder> north, there is plenty of meese, ask JJ. I saw a couple of 'em east of Wawa when I did my lap of Lake Superior (aka Arctic Ocean). I was disappointed 'cause I didn't see any bear. I stopped for breakfast at Tim Horton's and an old guy told me to be careful if I was headed east as he had seen a momma bear with two cubs when he came into town. No luck though.

Mike

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Sure, Macka, we'd be glad to have you join us!
Thanks for that, Phil. I would love to do that. It won't be any time soon though.
Our State Government will make an announcement later today about our "roadmap out of lockdown".
The rumour is that our lock down will be extended for another 4-6 weeks, possibly longer if the infection numbers don't come down faster.
One possibility is staying in lock down/curfew until Christmas.
Business groups are screaming (I too am a small business owner - but not screaming as I am semi-retired) but all the Medicos are saying that we must continue.
We are struggling to overcome the second wave and the big worry is a third wave happening before Christmas if we free-up too soon.
My wife and I had flight tickets and event tickets for the Tokyo Olympics but we had to cash them in.
We don't know when we will be able to get over there again.
If I live long enough, perhaps I may be able to get over there and meet some of you guys.

Macka

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
If you go far enough east and <shudder> north, there is plenty of meese, ask JJ. I saw a couple of 'em east of Wawa when I did my lap of Lake Superior (aka Arctic Ocean). I was disappointed 'cause I didn't see any bear. I stopped for breakfast at Tim Horton's and an old guy told me to be careful if I was headed east as he had seen a momma bear with two cubs when he came into town. No luck though.

Mike
I saw no meese or bear on my ride around Lake Superior or in Maine, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, or Labrador during the Epic Ride. I did see meese in Alaska during the Epic Ride.

Top Bottom