Greeley to Grand Junction

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
It was cloudy when I left Greeley at 9:30 this morning, but by the time I got to Denver, the sun was shining. So were the mountains. There's still a little snow at the higher elevations but it's mostly gone from the side of I-70. Traffic was reasonable through Denver and west of there although there were occasional construction delays. The biggest of those was in Glenwood Canyon, the most beautiful stretch of interstate highway I've ever ridden. I rode to Rifle, 236 miles from home, and stopped for lunch and fuel.

After eating and drinking a couple of cups of coffee, I walked back to the bike, put on my 'Stitch, put in my earplugs, put on my helmet and realized that the GPS was still on. That meant that I'd done it again -- forgot to turn off the ignition before going in to eat. That's twice this summer (once was at Perkins in Spearfish) and twice when I've been doing something with the How the West Was Won Rally. The last time was in Lander, WY. This time I was lucky that there was a young deputy sheriff who had just gone through the drive-thru and he heard me when I hollered at him. He graciously took me to an O'Reiley's Auto Parts Store. Since I was with a deputy, they loaned me their jump start battery (although they made me leave my camera with them until they got the jump battery back). I'd learned in Spearfish that it's nearly, but not quite impossible to reach the positive contact with most jump battery cables. It helps to remove one of the connectors that are just above the battery and then it helps even more if you've got someone, like, say, a helpful deputy sheriff who will hold the positive cable against the positive terminal while your start the bike. It fired right up and I got everything reassembled while the deputy took the battery back to the store. I rode over there, picked up my camera and rode on west to Parachute before stopping for gas. I'd done 256 miles and gotten 58mpg out of that tank while running 70-80 mph. I always get better mileage at higher altitudes. By the time I got here to Junction, it was hot.

The next three days, I'll be staff for the How the West Was Won Rally. On Monday, I'll ride to Montrose to see my son and his wife, then ride the Whitewater, Gateway, Naturita, Ridgeway, Montrose loop with an old Concours buddy of mine before riding home through RMNP on Wednesday.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
So Phil, why do you use the kill switch to turn off the bike and not just use the key? Is it just habit or is there a different reason? The kill switch is an afterthought to me. The last time I used it was by accident and when I went to start and noting happened I saw the kill switch position.

Brad

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Whitewater, Gateway, Naturita, Ridgeway
Phil I never did thank you for advising me to take that ride from Grand Junction to Naturita on my last trip out west. I did 3/4 of your loop, except I turned south at Ridgeway. Only downside to the day was that I rode from Naturita to Durango in the rain. The Million$$ Hwy is a challenge on a perfect day. In the rain it's just plain nerve racking.

Folks, if you ever get near Grand Junction OR Naturita, CO141 is one of the best motorcycle roads you can find..
My $.02

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
So Phil, why do you use the kill switch to turn off the bike and not just use the key? Is it just habit or is there a different reason? The kill switch is an afterthought to me. The last time I used it was by accident and when I went to start and noting happened I saw the kill switch position.

Brad
Brad, I didn't use the kill switch. I stopped the bike by lowering side-stand while the bike was in 1st. AFAICR, that's what I've done with all the bikes I've ever had. But for some reason, the NT's the only one I have ever not turned the ignition off after I did that. I am trying to re-program my aging brain and habit pattern into removing the keys from the ignition before removing my helmet. Wish me luck!

Back in the first year I owned my first '99 Concours, I got terribly frustrated twice, once on a highway north of Sidney, NE, and once in a K-Mart parking lot a mile from my house when the bike wouldn't start. Both times, I had called a friend and once had him ready to haul his trailer to Sidney to pick me up before he suggested that I double check the kill switch. Talk about feeling dumb....

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
RedNigel said: "Folks, if you ever get near Grand Junction OR Naturita, CO141 is one of the best motorcycle roads you can find..
My $.02"

He's right! I first heard of 141 from Rider Magazine's 25th Anniversary issue. They had multiple lists of "25" things and one of them was the "25 Best Roads in the US." This will be my first time to ride it from north to south and I'm looking forward to it! I'll get some pictures.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Sounds like an awesome ride Phil, just gets me more excited for Carl’s and I’s riding in two weeks out there. We just talked about the million dollar highway the other day also, hopefully the weather cooperates. Enjoy the rest of your ride!

Bike
2010 Red NT700
As you ride the canyon from one end to the other it feels like you're on a cowboy movie set with lots of great curves and scenery to boot. Beautiful canyons and rock formations with beautiful ranches along the way
Also, the restored remnants of some great flume that was used for a mine back in the day, and is attached to a sheer rock wall

Top Bottom