Hammocks

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
That is the beauty of them, light to pack quick to set up and comfortable. Spent a good chunk of my life living out doors these are not the things you find a Lowes they are the cats @$$ :)
There are versions for two as well if company is important...

Last edited:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I'm more comfortable on my Exped Synmat DLX9 mattress camping than I am at home...

BTW - www.MotoCampers.com is a great place to visit if you are serious about getting into camping or already love it.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Those hammocks remind me of the "jungle" hammocks I used in the Army. But at least these should not have that wonderful GI Issue wet canvas smell.....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I used surplus jungle hammocks for camping when I lived in Florida and was in the Boy Scouts. The thing I remember is the night that a "norther" blew in and took temperatures down to about 20. I'm here to tell you that you can freeze your kiester off in a jungle hammock!

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I used surplus jungle hammocks for camping when I lived in Florida and was in the Boy Scouts. The thing I remember is the night that a "norther" blew in and took temperatures down to about 20. I'm here to tell you that you can freeze your kiester off in a jungle hammock!
Check out the links for the forum, there are all sorts of things for cold weather as well. Bear burritos are really pretty cool but can be pretty toasty as well :)

hondaaddict

Mosquitoes would eat me alive thru the fabric if I use hammock here in the South.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
My time in the south it kept me above most of the snakes and the zip up bug shields kept the tree climbers out as well. Found the little flying biters less of a problem.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have been researching these hammock tents recently. My main goal was to lose the poles and get something smaller. I really liked a couple I found but started thinking back to my last few camping trips. I am guessing that only half of them would have been easy to find two trees the right distance. I also took my nephew car camping this weekend and the spot we ended up on was really an RV pad with electricity and water. We didn't use the electricity, but this was our fall back plan to be close to the lake (fishing). All the other good primitive spots with lake access were already taken. No place to tie up a hammock at this spot.

So my concerns with the hammock:
1) finding places to use it.
2) Expensive: The ones I liked seemed high, and the quilts were really expensive.
3) Storage: Wouldn't be bad on the NT just lock stuff up on the bike, but if backpacking I would want to bring the pack into my shelter.

I will probably end up with one eventually, but for now I am going to stick to my small 2 man tent.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I used a US Army WW II surplus jungle hammock when I was in Scouts in the Florida panhandle. Almost everyone in our troop ended up with one. I'm not sure I could sleep in a jungle hammock these days.

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I have also "camped" using a "jungle hammock". At the time it wasn't bad at all...I really liked the mesh sides. But now I have no doubt I wouldn't be able to walk after a couple nights in one... One thing I noticed is the trees never quite agreed with Uncle Sam's spacing requirements for hanging it... So I always carried an extra 20 feet of rappelling rope to compensate for the trees failure to maintain a proper formation...use that extra rope on the "foot" end BTW.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
One of the most "interesting" times I spent in a jungle hammock was the night we were on a two-night Junior Leaders Training campout not far from Marianna, FL, and a norther blew in. One thing jungle hammocks don't provide is a lot of shelter from very cold blowing wind. It got down to nearly 20F that night.

Being Scouts and full of ingenuity, several of us heated rocks in the campfire, wrapped them in towels and stuck in our sleeping bags. My sleeping bag was a suirplus army mummy bag --- itchy wool liner, nylon shell outside. In the jungle hammock the towel-wrapped rock settled down to the bottom of the hammock's arc, right next to my butt, and charred holes in the towel, and the muimmy bag before it cooled off and left me freezing with a cold rock by my seat.

Parentheticaly, does anybody remember if those things had zippers? I can't remember, but dont remember how I closed it. Seems like the nylon shell had snaps, I don't remember anything about the liner except that it itched and stayed warm.

Top Bottom