Handle Bar Riser Comparison MCL vs SW Motech

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I have replaced my MCL Risers with SW Motech Bar Backs (LEH.00.039.152.B) from Twisted Throttle. I read the threads and thought I might post some pictures to help those considering moving the bars a bit.
I did not have to change any cables or hoses on my 2010 ABS model. The clutch cable is tight, but does not restrict travel. I did not seem to have any trouble with my brake hose. It slides within the protective cover.
Picture 1 shows original bar position.
Picture 2 is MCL risers with the end of the bar 3/4 inch higher and 1/2 inch back.
Picture 3 is MCL with the bars rotated down - 1/2 inch lower and 1 inch back from original
Picture 4 is SW Motech Bar Back 1/4 inch higher and 2 inches back from original. The numbers will change if you rotate the bars.
Other pictures show kits and finished instal.

Personally, I like the bars back further.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
One of these days.... :) will get new cables and brake line and move mine back some more or even get new bars. I have the MCL's now. Contrary to John, I like the bars back more on this bike. I also have a CeeBailey +6 windshield so sitting up does not put me in the airstream. If you spend most of your time in twisties then stock is better. I tend to spend most of my time in traffic or on straight stuff.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have replaced my MCL Risers with SW Motech Bar Backs (LEH.00.039.152.B) from Twisted Throttle. I read the threads and thought I might post some pictures to help those considering moving the bars a bit.
I did not have to change any cables or hoses on my 2010 ABS model. The clutch cable is tight, but does not restrict travel. I did not seem to have any trouble with my brake hose. It slides within the protective cover.
Picture 1 shows original bar position.
Picture 2 is MCL risers with the end of the bar 3/4 inch higher and 1/2 inch back.
Picture 3 is MCL with the bars rotated down - 1/2 inch lower and 1 inch back from original
Picture 4 is SW Motech Bar Back 1/4 inch higher and 2 inches back from original. The numbers will change if you rotate the bars.
Other pictures show kits and finished instal.

Personally, I like the bars back further.
Thanks for the info. I also have ABS brakes and was concerned if the SW Bar Back could be managed with the stock cables. On their web site they mention that you will need to move the brake hose clamp down 1 1/2" and I was not sure how to do that. it appears that is not really necessary.

I also have the same risers from Twisted Throttle and they are perfect for me with 32 inch sleeve length. They are very easy to mount and can be done in less than 30 min.

Jim

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
John,

I value your opinion and others here on the forum. I certainly envy your opportunities to extensively ride in Asia and Europe.
I started riding motorcycles in 1966 but not able to do it seriously for various reasons (but owned a motorcycle for most of the time). However, my early background was engineering and design. The basic machine design is aimed at the mean size of the buyer/operator group. From that norm, a maximum and minimum standard is set for the design. (Then you get into standard deviations - I didn't do well in sadistics...er statistics).

There are several ergonomic variables here; torso length, arm reach, leg length, weight, shoulder width, etc. All of these must fit into the min and max standard.
I find that I fit toward the end of "short" part. Moving the Bars back two inches gets me off of the tank and moves me into a normal riding position. For me the foot pegs are good (too far off the ground for legs, but that is another post).

Bottomline: With the bars loose in the Bar back, I positioned them to a "natural" riding position for me and tightened them. I ride with the OEM windshield in the middle position and look over the top. I assume there are others with similar problems.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
MCL's risers were probably about the first "farkle" to go on my NT. I just felt "wrong" until I added the risers and readjusted the bars. I guess I am more of a Suzuki "standard deviation" model as the V-Strom "fits" and is so comfortable out of the box I won't need risers...

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Bottom line as I see it--American riders like to ride in the "sit up and beg" position. Leaning forward, knees on tank is probably better way to ride. Years ago the Brits had to put high bars on their bikes as well as BMW for export to US.

NT standard position works fine for me....and you know your rear doesn't hurt if you ride that way. In US people like to change seats, too.

Bikes that feel good in showroom (cruisers) can be hell on long days.

I had thought of moving bars and tried rotating them------much better I adapt to way bike is. Good for 600 mile days, if I don't get too bored.

John Grinsel
I think John is technically correct. It reminds me of riding a road bicycle. It took me a while to adjust to the bent over riding position with the low bars but after putting in the miles on the saddle I adjusted and was able to ride for hours on end in this position being able to do century and double century rides. It really is the most efficient position but not the most comfortable for all riders. I think the slightly forward position John refers to is probably the most efficient but for some it puts extra stress on the wrists, back and shoulders. Eventually the body might adjust to the position but most would rather make changes so it feels better without having to adjust to it.

taldric

I did get a custom seat made for my NT, installed the MCL handelbar risers, and rotated the bars a bit to get them where I wanted them and everything about the NT felt better. But I have found two things that have made my riding more enjoyable: more time on the bike and working out.

First off, I started working out and doing a lot of upper body work. This made the pain between the shoulder blades disappear and made me able to handle longer rides without any pain or discomfort.

The second was just to ride really long days. After a few days of more than 400 miles a day I started to really get settled into the feel of the slightly forward leaning position. My body eventually adapted to it and now I find it very comfortable and just fine. My longest day to date has been about 730 miles and I was just fine.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Thanks for the info. I also have ABS brakes and was concerned if the SW Bar Back could be managed with the stock cables. On their web site they mention that you will need to move the brake hose clamp down 1 1/2" and I was not sure how to do that. it appears that is not really necessary.
I think the clamp they are referring to is along the triple tree. To adhust the brake line you loosen the clamp and slide the hose up witht he bars. Relatively speaking, you have moved the clamp "down". However, the clamp dosen't actully move. (not at bike right now so can't go check)

Bike
Silver NT700V
I need some of that "work out" stuff. Where do yo get it? Oh wait, you have to DO it. :rofl1:

Really would help though as i have lower back and upper body issues.

:think1: I guess I'll have to give it a try while I also try to

keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Warren, interesting you like to ride that way. My brother is the opposite. A long distance bike rider (4 ride across america and too many others to count) and he really hated the lean forward on a motorcycle. He has a F650GS now.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I think it's pretty silly and totally academic to debate the wisdom and ergonomics of bar heights, postions, and custom seats. If we were all built exactly the same in height, weight, arm length, and whatever else makes us unique from each other, then we could all agree on a definative solution. Whatever works for you...more power to ya.
I for one, would like to thank Joe (Frosty) for his thoughtfullness and sharing his insights about what works for him. Thanks Joe, I appreciate your willingness to just lay out your experiences for us to feel free and try or reject on our own, and I also appreciate that you never suggest how wrong we are for going our own directions.
Len

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Warren, interesting you like to ride that way. My brother is the opposite. A long distance bike rider (4 ride across america and too many others to count) and he really hated the lean forward on a motorcycle. He has a F650GS now.
On a bicycle body positioning has more to do with riding efficiency than comfort. You watts out is so low that you cannot afford to waste any energy overcoming wind resistance our poor pedaling mechanics. It’s easier on a motorcycle to make compromises for the sake of comfort. By the way I do have risers on my NT. My body lean was at around 11? and now its around 8?. Still not upright. Since we have a wind sreen to ride behind having a low profile to lessen wind resistance is not that important. It has more to do with weight distribution. Some like most of it on there rump and then they get a custom seat to help support it and others like John prefer to distribute some of the weight on their hands, feet and legs.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I have no issue about discussing ergonomics. It's the comments that tend to lean towards proclaiming "correctness" or "wrongness" that I find counter-productive. Instead of accepting that which works for one as valid, there seems to be those who want to argue someone down based upon what they think is "right." It's like debating beauty or politics. There is very little logic or reason for believing what we do as individuals, and any debates seem rather silly and academic at best. No one thanked Joe for his contributions and most took him to task, which is not in the spirit this forum seems to thump its chest in pride about. For what it's worth.

Bradkap

just picked up the NT with the MCL risers. Going to ride Saturday about 400 miles. I can tell already the more upright position is better for my 50 year old back.

Bike
2011 Black NT700V
Frosty - Thanks for such detailed pictures! They really help out for things I cant see before I buy.

Warren sorta touched on a good point here. I dont like the weight on my hands and my back doesnt like the lean. These issues moved risers up to my #1 item on my list. As best I can tell many others bought them as one of their first extras too. I also dont get my feet as flat on the ground as I would like and see a lower seat in my future.

So my long winded question(s) are - how much did changing the seat alter the ergonomics? I am assuming dropping an inch lower will move my riding position, but which way and how much? Nobody seems to have mentioned that previously - is it insignificant? Will it mean I wont want the risers anymore?

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Changing the seat does change the ergos. My case it was a higher seat (Russell) which means my lean is now closer to stock (I also have the MCL risers).

I am still fine tuning my ergos. I need longer cables and brake line to get the bars back a bit more. I also may move my pegs back a tad. Right now I frequently ride with the toes on pegs and heels on passenger pegs. I have never felt the desire to ride with my feet more forward or lower.

So, yes, changing the height of the seat will change seat to peg and reach to bars. You might consider lowering the bike as well.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I dont like the weight on my hands and my back doesnt like the lean. These issues moved risers up to my #1 item on my list. As best I can tell many others bought them as one of their first extras too. I also dont get my feet as flat on the ground as I would like and see a lower seat in my future. So my long winded question(s) are - how much did changing the seat alter the ergonomics? I am assuming dropping an inch lower will move my riding position, but which way and how much? Nobody seems to have mentioned that previously - is it insignificant? Will it mean I wont want the risers anymore?
I can't have a lot of weight on my wrists due to a rebuilt left wrist courtesy of the US Army... One of the first mods I did was to add MCL's riser, that and rotating the bars, made the NT comfortable for me... The last mod I did to the NT was a Corbin seat, about a month and a half ago or so. Adding the Corbin dropped me down about an inch making it easier to flat foot the NT. But it did not change the geometry of the reach to the handlebars enough to require a readjustment nor make me want to remove my MCL risers...

lcseds

Lots of folks are satisfied with no riser or a 1" riser. I was not satisfied until I did a major "Handlebarectomy". I now ride almost upright in more of a BMW ergo position. Seeing young-ins on those sport bikes leaned way over makes my back cringe. Everyone needs to find their individual "zones". Everything else is opinions, but never fact.

Top Bottom