Happy New Year!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I was going for a ride today with two pals but about an hour ago I cancelled today's ride because it appears that we'd be in the rain all-day! :-(

Let's all have a nice, safe New Year's Eve and look forward to a better and healthier 2022. As I have done for the past few years, I'm staying home tonight so won't have to worry about the drunks behind the wheel, unless one runs into my house! :)

A happy new year to everyone as well. Let's get winter and Covid behind quickly so we can RIDE! I still have a date with the provinces and possibly Alaska!

Mike

Happy New Year to all. May we all ride many safe miles and, hopefully, enjoy some of those together!

Alex, I'm really glad to hear that you're finally pain-free! It's got to be a huge relief!

Happy New Year to all. May we all ride many safe miles and, hopefully, enjoy some of those together!

Alex, I'm really glad to hear that you're finally pain-free! It's got to be a huge relief!
May all your fires be in the fire place, Phil! Minus 4 tonight.....
minus 4.jpg

Happy new year, everyone! I think after a month, things will get better!
2022.jpg

Been watching Japanese TV for a week. Japan figure skating Nationals...they have some interesting commercials.
japan game show trial.jpg

(I decided to have New Years at home. I was going to go to US Figure Skating nationals in Nashville but they gave us the option to cancel out due to covid and I took that option. I hate flying in the winter as it is. Looking at Cruises out of San Diego in six weeks if things settle down. Or just sitting on the beach in San Diego. Anywhere warm and sunny. Going stir crazy in the cold and snow. Everyone be safe. Hope to see lots of you at the Rally. The one with the sun and warmth.

Happy New Year everyone, ended the 2021 year with a good 100mile ride with friends on 31st :)

1641073591670.png

Being on a cruise ship at this time seems insane to me!
Thats cause you believe the US Govt! I stopped that after Vietnam.
You can eat outside or in your room. Or on your balcony. Everyone is vaxed and most are boosted and everyone is tested. When you test people, you find some are positive. LIke kids going in for appidenxtomies. Or tonsilitis. They are turning up positive.

Now, lets see what the Govt is doing as far as air travel.
No vax needed
no test needed
designer rag masks allowed. Pulled down over nose. You can blow out a candle through them.
You are given recirculated flatuance filled air while the pilots get fresh air. The air terminals are filthy and even pilots are pulling down their masks inside them. (I flew in October)

So what we have is maybe 50 pax and crew on a ship ...probably more crew than Pax...sick.....out of about 7,000 souls.....
20 percent of NYPD is out sick with covid.

You wanna know why all those air crew members are sick and delaying or canceling flights?
They travel by airliner....not cruise ship. And they eat with masks off in those disgusting airports.

But for right now, you do have a point...I am not going anywhere.....
I wont cruise or fly for another month to six weeks and see what happens.
Then I will walk the promanade deck at sunset.....the one that is outside. Or sit in a chair on the fan tail drinking mojitos. Covid HATES alchohol.
1641082548205.png

Now, lets see what the Govt is doing as far as air travel.
No vax needed
no test needed
designer rag masks allowed. Pulled down over nose. You can blow out a candle through them.
You are given recirculated flatuance filled air while the pilots get fresh air. The air terminals are filthy and even pilots are pulling down their masks inside them. (I flew in October)

I fly an Airbus for a living and don't disagree with much of what you've said above. The only thing I'll say is that, in the Airbus anyway, the pilots are breathing from the same air as the passengers. You could argue that there's less "second-hand flatulence," but even that's suspect. Things can get pretty rank up front--reference the limited food selection at most airports! Also, I'm not saying it's ALWAYS enforced, but flight attendants are supposed to correct people if their masks don't cover their mouth and nose.

I fly an Airbus for a living and don't disagree with much of what you've said above. The only thing I'll say is that, in the Airbus anyway, the pilots are breathing from the same air as the passengers. You could argue that there's less "second-hand flatulence," but even that's suspect. Things can get pretty rank up front--reference the limited food selection at most airports! Also, I'm not saying it's ALWAYS enforced, but flight attendants are supposed to correct people if their masks don't cover their mouth and nose.
I must say I am surprised. I am a pilot and govt licensed aircraft mechanic. I am a friend of the past seniority number one United Airlines capt who retired with the highest number of years of any Capt in United history. He is also an A and P. I run things through him if I am unsure.
On Boeing aircraft (he loves the triple 7) the pilots always get fresh air from the two packs. The pax get one half fresh air and one half reciruclated air. There are two recirculation fans that send the cabin air through HEPA filters, and back to the mixer valves to the cabin. While the O2 is slightly depleted and the CO2 elevated, its probably breathable. I do not know if the hepa filters have virus killing UV light. I find it interesting that Airbus does not use recirculated air. I applaud them. Sometimes, my friend tells me the pax complain about how stuffy the cabin is and the flight attendants tell him he turns off the two recirculation fans so that the Pax get fresh air for awhile. As you know, there is a cost of fuel to do this. I am sorry but from my own experience, I do not believe the cabin air is replaced every 2-3 minutes. I have sat back in my pax seat at night and watched dust particles drifting hither and yon in the overhead lights, going nowhere.
Due to my medical conditions and getting sick on airplanes for years, I wear an N100 mask. I dont take anything from a flight attendant's hands like a plastic cup that they have touched with their bare hands to the rim, after touching the hands of 50 pax (norovirus). I dont take my mask off to eat...only very quickly to sip water if I must. Many masks I see are very poor quality. You may know that Germany has forbidden this garbage and only allows medical grade masks.
Here is a good article on how the first SARS virus was spread on aircraft. This is why we all need to wear (in back) quality masks. The virus travels side to side and up and down the aisles with the flight attendants. And now we of course know that Omicron is very contagious....

I owned a very nice NA Miata a few years back. Less than 40k original miles and virtually indistinguishable from new. I kinda regret selling that one!
I’m still in the planning (scheming) stage at this point, but I’m tentatively planning to buy another convertible in 2024. It might very well be a new Miata! I want a retractable hard top, so my options are limited.

I suppose we all have our thoughts about the china virus and how it does or doesn't spread. Moving away from that conversational pit fall... Like the two of you, there are several pilots in my Miata group as well. I take comfort in knowing that, in both groups, people who place their lives in the trust of flying machines also trust my Miata and my NT.
FWIW, This was sent to me by my friend who retired from United Airlines...this happened 10 days ago.....you didnt see it on the news, did you? And you wont.

Yeah, my vacations never include being trapped in my hotel...even if the hotel floats. 7 days of drunken merriment isn't a selling point to me. Some people rave about going on a cruise. That's their taste. I prefer going where the day takes me... or the wife tells me to.😁

Another reason for going on a cruise is: wait for it: the peace and solitude that comes form begin un-reachable ... with phone and internet being very challenging on crusie ships.. a few people i know took cruise vacations, so that no one in the office can reach them :)

I knwo it is a sad state when you cant even enjoy your vacation in solitude ... but desperate times need desperate solutions...

I think that one of the reasons that the US pilots are not so dependent on automation is that most of them are ex-military and the military is not so heavily reliant (yet) on technology to replace basic flying skills. It also appeared to me that Airbus was much more keen to incorporate automation into their aircraft than Boeing at first although I don't know if that is still the case.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom