Harbor Freight Motorcycle Lift

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I just ordered one of those lifts and was wondering if anyone on this forum who has one could walk me through the procedure of lifting the bike without dropping it. I am particularly interested in how the bike is secured and whether it is on the center stand or not. Any insight would be appreciated.

MAC

Alex,
If you are chaning tires then, yes put it on the center stand if you don't have a jack to go under the motor. If it is an oil change etc you don't have to, plenty of room to get at the filter.
My lift has a through hole in the front of the table and I use a 1" pipe through it to put extra straps on the bike along with the wheel chock. It also has two spots at the rear. Using the pipes and a 2X8 i can make the table wider, this works well when you get on the life you have some place to put your feet and the side stand if you want. Not all tables are the same, but extra straps don't hurt.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Here are a bunch of pictures of my ST and a few pics of my NT on my lift. Make your self some out rigger boxes to place your feet on when riding the bike up or off the lift. As you can see I also added some more tie down points on the lift. Use soft straps around the triple clamp with the bike on the center-stand. I have got to the point that when bike is on Center-stand (99% of the time) I don't even tie it down anymore. What ever you are comfortable with. If you need more or a specific picture, let me know. I have my ST1300 parked on my lift right now. Normally the NT is parked on the lift, but I will be doing some maint on the ST this coming couple of weeks. I always use the Safety Bar. The lift has two raised positions to work from. I also have a small HF roll around stool to sit on while I am working.

elizilla

I bought a baxley sport chock to use in place of the chock my HF lift came with. I just put the front wheel in the chock, and use one strap to tie it into the chock.

I still need to build the outrigger boxes. For now I just make sure to have a spotter to help when I put a bike on. I run it up while standing next to it, instead of riding it up.

With the front wheel in the baxley chock, I run the lift up. Then I put a stack of bricks under the rear wheel dropout panel, and I run the table back down just far enough that the back end gets lifted a few inches. I flip the centerstand down with my hand, and then lift the bike again. This gets it on the centerstand, with the wheel in the chock. (Centerstanding like normal pulls the front wheel back, and with the front wheel tied firmly in the chock that is not happening.)

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've had a HF lift for over a year and like many others, I've added additional u-bolts but am still using the original wheel
clamp. I did add a 1" thick piece of wood to the face of the wheel clamp to act as a spacer since without it I found the clamp was only biting on the rear portion of the tire and not centered at 6 o'clock. I did make a long rectangular box (from Chinese HF crate!) so I'd have a step-up when getting the bike on the lift - engine running, trans in 1st gear and me walking the bike up.

Two improvements were a longer ramp make from left over 2 x 12 and a crossbar for the front made of 1" steel tubing. The original ramp is pretty steep so if you don't get the bike all the way up, it tries to slide back down. The 2 x 12 adds about 2-feet to the ramp and makes it a more gentle angle so if I do stop with the rear wheel on the ramp, it doesn't try to slide back down. It sits under the original ramp and has some blocks screwed to the front edge to create the angle.

The crossbar has two short perpendicular pieces of tubing that fit into channels already in the HF lift. Those channels run front-to-rear under the table and give it stiffness. Because of the angle of the tiedowns from the grips, it is not necessary to use bolts.

I've found that when doing plastic removal, it is often necessary to move the bars to the left or right so a task such as for valve adj is with the front wheel well clear of the clamp. In such a case, I use the side u-bolts to secure the bike with the centerstand legs resting on the drop-out panel. That panel is too weak to support so much weight so it bends in the center and I eventually solved that by bolting a stiffener to the underside but you could do the same thing with plywood on top. With the lift all the way down, the carriage x-braces are close to the underside of the drop-out panel so you'll have to check clearance on anything added.

I'll put a few pics of these mods in "My Gallery."

Tosh

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I forgot to add that the purpose of the front crossbar was to give the tiedowns more of an angle. If you use u-bolts on the lift table, the tiedowns are parallel because of the narrow table so not as secure as having wider tiedown points at the bottom. The crossbar ends do get in the way sometimes (!) but I've gradually learned to walk around them.

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Thank You all for the feedback. I worked in a motorcycle shop 45 years ago, and we had no such animal. Our old shop in Syracuse was a former gas station which had a pit. We would set the bike next to the pit, get into the pit and work. That was a real luxury in those days. I will definitely make a pair of outrigger boxes. I have some 2X4 s, some plywood and a couple of hinges--might as well utilize the boxes to store pipes, straps, and other hardware.

The lift will be used primarily for the CB550, which will be a total teardown. I get the bike tomorrow.

Ken Farr

Mr. Henderson:

How wide are those boxes ? That is a heck of a good idea, simple and functional. I'm afraid I just have to steal your idea !!!

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Katherine,
Thank you for that tip concerning the centrestand. That answers one of the fears that I had.

Top Bottom