Has anyone tried the Sena SMH5-01 headset communication device?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
A few of my friends have the older model and love it. I saw today that a few places were offering it for around $100. Seems much cheaper than other units on the market.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Since the current model SMH10 is around $170 I would go for it. Actually I did, and am happy I did so.

I suspect the older model might not have stereo bluetooth capability if that is important to you.

taldric

I'll second the SMH10 - I love mine. No idea how the SMH5 differs.

Bike
2010 Silver NT ABS
I've got the Sena SMH10 and I don't like them, I'm in the process of returning them. The speakers sound tinny and cheap, everything else works great but I bought them to also play music and they sound like S--t so back they go unless someone here is interested in taking it off my hands. PM me.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Unsolicited advice. Don't waste money on any other bike headsets then :) The SENA's are some of the better ones. And when you get up to speed the wind noise will screw up any of the music.

If you want "good" music you need in ear phones or custom ear plugs with the ear phones inserted. Last time I looked the custom ones were over $500 and really good ones were over $1000.

taldric

I totally agree with charlie b. The SENA SMH10 has great sound. A couple of things to think about...

First, the speakers that come with the SENA SMH10 are tuned to work through earplugs. I found that with foam earplugs in the sound from the speakers is perfectly fine. Although the volume wasn't high enough for me.

Second, I highly recommend getting a pair of in-ear headphones. I recently purchased a pair from http://www.plugup.com. You also have to buy the SENA headphone adapter, of course. But they work really well and mean I don't have to have separate earplugs. And now the sound volume is really excellent!

elizilla

Any speaker that's tuned to work through foam earplugs, that doesn't have its own power supply, needs to have a lot more volume coming into it than can be provided by your personal MP3 player.

taldric

The speakers are powered by the SENA not the MP3 player. The MP3 player (or phone) connects to the SENA via Bluetooth wireless communications, then the SENA (which is mounted on your helmet and has its own internal batteries and amplifier) powers the speakers or headphones.

When I was using the in-helmet speakers I had to have the SENA cranked to maximum volume to hear it through the earplugs. When using the headphones I have the volume set down to about 50%.

Silver Ranger

I also have the SMH10 and like it. It connects well with my iPod and BlackBerry. I use it for music with the iPod and emergency calls with the phone. I have no problems with volume with foam earplugs.

CommuterNT

I purchased the Sena SMH5-FM two weeks ago and love it. I got it from HiTech Wireless http://http://www.hitechwireless.com/sena-smh5-fm-02-bluetooth-headset-for-full-face-helmets/ for $91. I Found them at this site for considerably less then others were charging. I was a little skeptical because the price was so much lower then others but everything shipped and was communicated well for the sale and transaction.

The SMH5-FM is new for the SMH5 and the FM was the reason I went with this model. I don't have a need for bike to bike communication and was only looking for a way to listen to music and take an emergency call if needed. This suites my needs perfectly, I can either listen to music on my phone or just listen to the radio if my phone dies or I get tired of my music selection. Like others have stated the sound quality is not something for audiophiles but it does the job just fine and for a phone call the sound is more then sufficient. The FM signal is not the strongest but when you think about the size of the unit it makes sense. It is easy to use once you get used to it and battery life seems adequate.

Top Bottom