Has Honda abandoned the Sport-Touring Market?

One bike that has been forgotten a bit is the VFR1200. If you want a sport tourer add enough accessories and this will fit the bill. I was looking on the UK Honda web site and they have color matched hard case side luggage and top boxes. Along with a taller windshield and other bits and pieces. Can't seem to find this on Powersports but I expect these would be available perhaps sooner or later.

On the NT if they continue the line the easiest best change would be another increase in engine size say 750cc. Did it once already. Put the big bags on and not much else. Works for me at least.

On the ST Honda is now totally the odd man out with the release of the FJR. Save brand loyalty I just can't see anyone buying an ST with the features and price Yamaha is offering. Either a complete redesign or new model must follow for 2014.

elizilla

I almost bought the VFR1200F. The short range killed the deal back in 2010 and I ended up buying the NT instead, for the practical reason of not wanting to be stuck looking for gas so often. But I still have an emotional thing for that VFR. I will own one someday.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Well, I haven't forgotten the VFR (see all my other posts on topic :) ). I still think a little tweaking from Honda and it would make the ideal sport touring bike. The only change I would need is a slightly bigger windshield/fairing. A bigger tank would be extra nice.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Don't think the NT upgrade is in the works considering what they've done with the NC. A redesigned VFR engine put into a three-bikes-in-one-frame would seem a possibility given Honda's recent bundled model direction. I'm definitely purchasing a larger sport tourer in 2014 so for me Honda still has plenty of time to come out with an updated ST or a VFR with more range or bring the Crosstourer to the US. Otherwise it'll be a choice between the R1200RT (surely water cooled by then), Trohpy SE (first year production issues sorted), C14 or FJR. Multistrada or Norge would be outside contenders.

rcase13

I am very surprised about the VFR1200F range. Wiki says it only has about 150 miles. That would prevent me from buying it. Nice looking bike though.

It does seem that Honda is on a gas milage kick of late which is OK I suppose. Funny thing is they continue to forget that everyone on this forum has reported 50+mpg for the most part. well let's try this:

HEY HONDA THE NT GETS 50MPG!!! and better. All day everyday. Fast or Slow. Bigger windshield. Sans a real tune up for 26k miles.

Got that out of my system.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I did see that Honda did increase the gas tank size slightly on the new VFR1200F

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
But, the NT only gets a bit over 30mpg at 105mph (with a larger windshield) ;) That means a 150mi range :)

dbandach

Hey, has anybody noticed, there are NO NEW NT's, (Only 10's and 11's). BUT, the price went UP $1,000.00 from 2012. What's up with that? (no pun intended.) Why would they sell the same bike...a year older...for a grand more? Someone, (at a dealership) thinks they're going to slash the price soon to get rid of them. "Hey, we'll sell you this $11,000.00 bike for $8,000.00. You'll SAVE $3,000.00". Like the furniture stores...raise the price, then "discount" them.

Last edited by a moderator:

dbandach

Oh, hey, I rode Yamaha's 2013, 1300 last weekend. Man, is that thing quick!!! BUT, the seat is REALLY firm, I caught MORE wind on it than on my NT and you really lean forward on it...it's more SPORT than touring. I then rode Honda's ST. Not nearly as quick as the Yamaha but WAY more comfortable! I DID really like the electric cruise and the heated grips tho. But there is NO way I could comfortably take a LONG cruise on the Yamaha.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Hey, has anybody noticed, there are NO NEW NT's, (Only 10's and 11's). BUT, the price went UP $1,000.00 from 2012. What's up with that?
Watch out that you are comparing a nonABS VS ABS,,,,ABS NT are $1,000 more that nonABS. I didn't look at Honda website to verify, but doubt a price increase on later years not selling out models.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I went to the Powersports website and you can find prices for both the '10 and the '11 bikes. The non-ABS '10 is $9,999 and the ABS version is $10,999. I had never noticed that the '11 had had a $100 price increase; it's $11,199.

I'll bet you can get most dealers who've got NTs in stock to be willing to talk a deal.

Oops! I got a "Math Alert Message" pointing out that the difference between $10,999 and $11,199 is $200 not $100.

Last edited:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I agree. It needs a 7 gallon tank if it really wants to be a sport touring bike. With its 5 gallon tank and 35mpg it only has 175 mile range. 7 gallons would give it 245.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
If the NT had another gallon in tank capacity, I'd like that. I talked with Ironbutt Pete (Mike Lankford) at the IBA Meeting in Denver and he thinks he could make an auxiliary tank for the NT for $7-900. I've been tempted to go that route, but it's not at the top of my list in the way I want to spend my money right now.

If I run out of gas somewhere on the Cassier Highway next year, I'll with it had been. :)

bicyclist

Phil, a Rotopax gas can is a lot cheaper, lighter and you don't have to lug it around with you when you don't really need it.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Phil, a Rotopax gas can is a lot cheaper, lighter and you don't have to lug it around with you when you don't really need it.
George, I've looked at the Rotopax and it does look good. Where would you mount one on an NT?

elizilla

George, I've looked at the Rotopax and it does look good. Where would you mount one on an NT?
Can't put it on the side.

You have a topcase, right? I wouldn't want to put it on top of the topcase, that is too high. I would either try to fab up some sort of mount that lets you put the topcase on top of the Rotopax, or else attach the Rotopax to the front of the topcase, like a passenger backrest.

Or, instead of the Rotopax, you could put fuel in two of those metal fuel bottles from the camping store, and create brackets to attach them to the bottoms of the tipover wings.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Or, instead of the Rotopax, you could put fuel in two of those metal fuel bottles from the camping store, and create brackets to attach them to the bottoms of the tipover wings.
I don't think that is a really good spot, if "test" the tip over wings you just might bust off the bottle cap. Having a litre+ of gas spilled where I need to be to lift the bike back up doesn't sound like fun... How hard would it be to fabricate a bracket to go under the top case mount, protruding on both sides, that would permit mounting a container on each side of the trunk? That should be high enough to avoid any impact to the fuel container when the bike is dropped... Adding weight up high isn't good but if you are going to carry extra fuel it needs to be somewhat protected.

bicyclist

Phil, I just strap it to the passenger seat. It makes a nice flat surface on which to load other stuff and it's plenty sturdy.

Here's a pic of my F800 with the can on the passenger seat.

Top Bottom