Headlights turning off

Bike
2010 Red NT700
My NT has 49K miles on it and the original headlight bulbs. There are no electrical farkles.
When I started for home from an outing tonight I had a
low beam but no high beam. Even the high beam indicator was not lighting up.
After I rode about 50 ft to a stop sign, the high beam came on...I rode home. When I pulled to a stop in my alley to wait for the garage door to open, my lights went out again but this time I had neither low nor high beams
As I rolled into the garage they began to work again on high and low

What is going on?
Thoughts?

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
It would seem to be something common to both high and low beams so check for loose supply or earth connections and don't forget to check the starter switch which cuts supply to the headlamp circuit whilst starting the engine. It may not be "reconnecting" after releasing the starter button.

Macka

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Common problem and many members of this forum have posted about it previously.

It will be the starter button contacts, spray some cleaner on them and "Bob's your uncle" to coin a phrase.

Seagrass

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
My high beam switch has failed to work properly a few times. Just cycled it a few times and it worked fine again. When you turn on the key and the headlight comes on and after you start the bike it is off, you have a sticking starter relay. Last night I had no low beam. Shut the bike down a couple of times still no light, tried the high beam that came on. Rode home with the high beam on. Pulled out the low beam bulb (top bulb) and it was burned out. new low beam in place all is well again.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
My NT has 49K miles on it and the original headlight bulbs. There are no electrical farkles.
When I started for home from an outing tonight I had a
low beam but no high beam. Even the high beam indicator was not lighting up.
After I rode about 50 ft to a stop sign, the high beam came on...I rode home. When I pulled to a stop in my alley to wait for the garage door to open, my lights went out again but this time I had neither low nor high beams
As I rolled into the garage they began to work again on high and low

What is going on?
Thoughts?
It's your dimmer switch ! I've had mine do that before. I run the High beam all the time during the day and sometimes after I have switched to Low beam it doesn't immediately go back to high. I flip it kinda hard a couple times, up and down and that cures the problem. Doesn't seem to happen often.

If you ever start your bike and the headlight doesn't come on you may need to clean the starter switch. You can turn the bike off, and flip the starter button a few times, then restart and it should be ok. I would recommend then getting some electronic switch cleaner (plastic friendly) and clean the switch.

Last edited:

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I run the High beam all the time during the day
I would strongly advise against doing this for two reasons:
  1. Drivers in front of you cannot gauge the distance between you and them. Hence they may just pull out anyway and take you out.
  2. It seriously annoys some people...
Both could end rather badly.

JQL

Bike
I suggest you drive in a car and get a friend to ride behind you with High Beam on at different times of the day then A) see if you can easily at a glance judge his distance behind you and B) the annoyance factor.

Once you've done that, you'll know why the instructors who teach High Beam as a "safety feature" are cr?tins who should have their instructor qualification removed (surgically).

Try it and see. Proof of the pudding is in the eating...

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Using the high be during daylight hours is taught in motorcycle safety classes and I know has saved me many times from the "Not being Seen". I always expect every vehicle to pull out in front of me so I'd rather be seen. I have never had anyone flip their lights at me nor give me a hard time. I highly recommend it !
I agree with John. I find it very annoying when I'm in front of someone with high beams on and when I meet them. I have found that the triangle made by my Denalis mounted on my fork gets me noticed and doesn't irritate anyone.

JQL

Bike
I have found that the triangle made by my Denalis mounted on my fork gets me noticed and doesn't irritate anyone.
:plus1: It's a similar setup to mine except mine are under the tip-over wings. Really works a treat (except when they're texting :eek1: Then the Stebel reminds them :toot1:)

Last edited:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Honda's are notorious for this, maybe other brands too... but my Shadow and Valkyrie had issues and lots of folks on the ST site do as well... just a little grim in the switch housings will mess up the switch contacts a little.. with some it's not going to start due to the issue being the starter switch and with others it's the headlights and associated with that switch. Glad you got it working.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Thanks for this tip! I had to drive my car last night (arrgh!) because my headlight turned off just as I was about to leave the driveway, and it wouldn't come back on for anything. I have had this trouble intermittantly before but the light always came back on after flipping the switches a few times. I have used WD-40 before but this time I used plastic-safe electronic cleaner on the starter and high beam switches and the lights worked instantly. Now we'll see how long it lasts.

Top Bottom