Heated Gear Plug Location

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I think almost everyone has tried to test the tensil strength of their heated clothing wires by dismounting and walking away. I agree with raybob (above) it's best to put where you can see it with your helmet on.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Bob
IBA #118
With an IBA # like that, I'd sure want it in my sig line... in a completely humble and unassuming way, of course. :)

For those of you who don't know, Bob's #118 means that he was an early finisher of the Big Dance, the Iron Butt Rally, eleven days and usually close to 11,000 miles spent in pursuit of bonus points. We're honored to have you among us, Bob.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
With an IBA # like that, I'd sure want it in my sig line... in a completely humble and unassuming way, of course. :)
Like big red, flashing neon lights? 118

I figure that by the time I get my IBA number next year, it will be around 200,000 - if I'm lucky.

Last edited:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I had 2 plugs in my left fairing pocket, right in behind the cover. One fits easily, 2 was crowded.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
i guess i'm lazy - i never did a fancy mount for the gerbings connector. i just let it dangle out from under the seat. at least now on the explorer there's a bit of frame i use the cap to sort of tether it to when not in use so it's not in the way. i think on the nt i kept it tucked under the seat until i knew i needed it.

the true mount does look much nicer, for sure.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I'm thinking of one of these two locations. I initially was leaning towards the one below the rider. After hearing your comments about having the plug where you can see it, I'm leaning now towards the location nearer the tank.

View attachment 6908

What do you think? Is there anything in the area that would be a problem?

Chris
I don't think there is enough space behind that mid-cowl cover to accommodate the outlet. And you do not want to put the plug behind your leg. A royal pain to deal with.

We placed the outlet on the left glove box lid.

This actually required 2 outlets so that I could still remove the body work. More pics on my photobucket site.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I figure that by the time I get my IBA number next year, it will be around 200,000 - if I'm lucky.
I did my first IBA ride in August of 1999 and got a # of 5811. A couple years later I did a 2nd ride, a BB1500, and when I submitted the paperwork I used my full name and they processed me as a different person, so I got a 2nd number, something like #87xx. Today the number would probably be up in the 40-50,000 range; maybe higher.

Those numbers under 1000 (?) are reserved for people like Bob who've finished the Rally.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
That looks like a good place, Woodaddict. Is that where Honda puts the accessory aux outlet?
Maybe I should put a pic on here. I used Gerbings permanent dual temp controller, have since went to straight cord, full power after realizing a variable controller was not needed for me. I don't know where or if a accessory aux outlet is located. I have put velcro over the 2 holes now to hold up my connections, 1 would get caught on my leg when I would stop.
ps the controllers connect straight to battery.

Last edited:
Hello Chris, it was good to met you in Leavenworth and your black bike is beautiful. I have the Gerbing Jacket and Gerbing gloves and a control unit for these two items. As you may know, the gloves connect to the jacket and are controlled independently with the controller. I have the Gerbing connection to the battery and the lead hangs out and I tuck it around the grab handles. When I use my jacket I plug the 'jacket' into the controller and the controller goes to the Gerbing connection. Then I put my gloves onto my jacket connection and I can now control individually the heat of the jacket and the heat of the gloves. No need for any drilling or exterior mounts.

We live close to each other and sometimes it's easier to see how this is done. This way works very well for me.

Terry

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Off-topic as far as heat controllers/plugs go, but I've been having some problem including pictures in posts lately, too.

elizilla

There is a lot of room under the plastic surrounding the passenger grab rails, but it's behind you when you ride. There is not a lot of room behind the plastic by the knee, and that's a pretty nuisancy piece to get off even without adding plugs and wires to the mix. Outlets on top of the pocket covers, well, at least you are drilling something inexpensive. But then you have to route the wiring through the inside of the pocket. You could put an outlet on top of the tipover wing. You could put one on one of the faux speaker grills on the instrument surround but it would look weird there. In the end, I just ran the wire for my Gerbing jacket out between the seat and tank, with no fixed outlet. I put a cig lighter outlet in one of the fairing pockets to power GPS, and just shut the pocket lid over the GPS power cord as needed.

Oh, and another idea would be to get one of the low clearance powerlet outlets that actually sit on the outside like a lump. I have ended up putting those on several bikes.

elizilla

The low clearance outlet I was talking about is here:

Panel Top Power Socket

The advantage of this is that you don't need much space behind the panel. Just a hole for the wires to go out the back. I have put these on a couple of bikes that didn't have a good body panel with hollow space behind it.

Top Bottom