[Review] HeliBars handlebar risers

1bobbonnie

I had HeliBars handlebar risers installed today. Picked the bike up on a trailer, it was supposed to be snowing. Got home, just spitting snow, so went for a test ride. I was out
for about 40 minutes before the snow started to accumulate rapidly, so somewhat of a mini review. I already love them. They sit me back in the seat exactly where you're meant to sit, so now I sit up straight, relieving pressure on my back and shoulders, for I
no longer have to reach for the handlebars. It has also put my legs in a much more comfortable position. They are expensive but, for me, they have cured three areas [shoulders, back and legs] so actually in perspective, not so expensive after all. If you
order by the end of February, there is a coupon for $100 off [coupon# NT700201225
plus free shipping, $279 total]. There # is [800] 859-4624. My Honda dealer charged
me for 4 hrs [$55 an hour] plus $10 for parts, which included brake fluid and they made up an electrical line and installed it to the outlet. ONE THING TO CONSIDER, it
handles slightly slower with the handlebars so far from the forks. I tested it for fast
defensive moves and[FOR ME] it passed 100%. They have solved all comfort issues I
had with the NT700 and am once again in Honda heaven.;);):) The HeliBars DID NOT affect the way the bike handles but it does seem to react slightly slower, to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

bonifier

I called my local dealer here and he want 8 hours labor which comes out to $450.00 for the install so most likely will go to a dealer about 50 miles away and he quoted me 160.00 200.00 for the install. Glad it solved all your issues with your riding position.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
If you're familiar with the getting the body work off and servicing the bike, then 4 hours sounds reasonable to me for installing the risers. I work slowly and am VERY fussy with installs. It took me (with my wife assisting) ~8 hours. But that was the first time I had worked on an NT so EVERYTHING was new to me. I also did some things that the dealer might not do:

• I read the directions that came with the Helibars. I wasted my time on trying to work on the throttle body with the airbox still attached. I could have saved myself a good 30+ minutes if I had just removed the airbox to begin with to give me the space I needed.
  • I taped up the entire riser assembly so as not to scratch it during install (add 20 minutes of putting on and removing the tape),
  • I purged the entire brake system, installed new bleeders, refilled and bled the system. (That took a few hours).
  • I lubricated the cables prior to installation (slow drip process as I don't have a cable lubricator so add 30 minutes there).
  • I adjusted the bars to my wife's preference during the install (not difficult to do after you get the bike back)
  • I adjusted the hand brake lever to avoid hitting the push throttle housing nut that I noticed was making contact. (Something you should check when you get your bike back after the install)
  • I wired up the Powerlet outlet to my auxiliary fuse panel routing the wires in soft black OEM-like wire sheathing and then into my 3/4" split loom. instead of just running loose wires to the battery terminals. Planing, soldering, and routing took a few hours alone...Did I say that I was fussy? :cool:

I called my local dealer here and he want 8 hours labor which comes out to $450.00 for the install so most likely will go to a dealer about 50 miles away and he quoted me 160.00 200.00 for the install. Glad it solved all your issues with your riding position.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Does this heli bar instalation affect any use of a tank bag. I have a inch higher and inch back on now that is a major improvement over stock that allows me to use tank bag and I just touch the sides of it in a full extreme movement of the bars only used when turning to get into / out of very tight situations. I would probably have had Heli's initially but they were not avalible for ABS at that time.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
That's really hard to say. We don't use a tank bag so I don't know what the change might be. The Helibar riser does come back pretty far but it also raises the bars up a good chunk as well. Perhaps a few comparison pics of the bars from the side might help? I have some that I'm in the process of organizing. I'll post when I get them ready if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Does this heli bar instalation affect any use of a tank bag. I have a inch higher and inch back on now that is a major improvement over stock that allows me to use tank bag and I just touch the sides of it in a full extreme movement of the bars only used when turning to get into / out of very tight situations. I would probably have had Heli's initially but they were not avalible for ABS at that time.

OP
OP

1bobbonnie

I have an 8"x6"x4" deep tank bag that I still use, but the bars do hit slightly on each side.

prof98801

That's what I want my handlebars to look like so I just ordered the helibars for my NT. I want the more upright position while riding the bike. Some have said that the handling is somewhat "slower" with the helibars but I'm sure with more riding time with them that the twisties will still be the same. I might just have to adjust my riding style a little to achieve that goal.

Bud

I prefer sitting more upright to. These HeliBars handlebar risers will solve that problem for me. Thanks very much for this post and the pictures.

Bud

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I'm not sure how the handling would be slower. The geometry of the front (trail and rake) remain identical. The width of the bars is unchanged. I don't think simply increasing the distance from handle bars to the upper triple changes any handling characteristics. I didn't notice any other than the riding position being more comfortable.

I must also stress that if you have heated grips (especially the HondaLine set) you definitely will need to lengthen the harness. Honda didn't provide enough wire to reach. I just built a custom harness from scratch and chucked the harness that Honda sent with the grips.

Last edited:
Top Bottom