Hello Old Friend

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Today I pulled the NT out from under it's cover and went for a short but very pleasant ride with one of my friends.
Conditions were ideal. I was thrilled to find that after five months untouched, it started instantly. The only problem was tyres that needed about 5psi each.
Once on the move, it was as if my last ride was just a few days ago. I felt comfortable almost immediately and within a couple of hundred metres I thought to myself "gee I like this bike".
It was great to be back on two wheels again.

Macka

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Why the long hiatus, Macka? Did I miss something?

Mike

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I do not think Macka would mind be saying that he has not been well and is having medical treatment for a condition that is proving difficult to overcome but he is determined to win the fight.

Seagrass

OP
OP
Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Seagrass is right. My health is letting me down and then Covid19 arrived with the restrictions and lockdown.
Medical treatment has seen me in and out of hospital countless times in the past two years, with increased frequency in the past six months or so.
The trip to the West was to make use of an apparent "window of opportunity" that rapidly vapourised.
Riding and most other things have been out of the question.

Macka

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Sorry to learn of your health problems Macka. I assume they are physical, because from your great posts here your mind seems to be working well. That can be very frustrating when you want to do things your body won't let you do. Keep up your good spirits and we all wish you the best outcome from your condition.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Macka hope your medical issues subside.
Do you use fuel stabilizer? I live in warm climate here so bike doesn't sit up too long like some who have to deal with real winter conditions. I'm pretty careful with the small engines I have like mowers, weed eaters, and a small ATV that may sit quite a bit. I use non-alcohol fuel in them and stabil over winter. In the small engines I have seen some fuel issues like gas line deterioration.

Brad

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Macka hope your medical issues subside.
Do you use fuel stabilizer? I live in warm climate here so bike doesn't sit up too long like some who have to deal with real winter conditions. I'm pretty careful with the small engines I have like mowers, weed eaters, and a small ATV that may sit quite a bit. I use non-alcohol fuel in them and stabil over winter. In the small engines I have seen some fuel issues like gas line deterioration.

Brad
I wonder if they use ethanol down there? I use ethanol free fuel and stabilizer. With some countries not even allowing bikes during the pandemic, I wondered if folks who use E10 stabilized their fuel to avoid phase separation.

OP
OP
Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Thank you to all of you for your well-wishes. It is a battle that I will eventually lose, as do we all.
It is physical in nature but is wearing me down mentally too. In this current worldwide situation I can't even get out for a coffee with a friend!
The ride yesterday was only 47km in total with a stop at a lovely park but my mate and I sat at separate picnic tables about 8 feet apart to chat.
I had a bottle of water with me and he tried to buy a drink from a nearby kiosk. They refused to take cash and he had no credit card.
I offered to use my card but he declined.
I did not use any fuel stabiliser. I just make sure that the tank is full to the cap so that there is minimal air in there and thus no condensation.
That was the pleasing thing, that it started instantly after five months and warmed up smoothly, as if it had been run only the day before.
We do have E10 fuel available here but, as a mechanic with decades of experience, I avoid it like the plague/Corona Virus.
I have seen what is does to fuel systems that were not designed for ethanol and have had to repair many of them.
Late model vehicles that are designed to take it will not suffer the damage but the fuel is less energy dense and will result in higher consumption.
With the small cost difference here it is smarter to use regular petrol/gasoline as there is no saving overall.
In fact, in most cases, using E10 will cost more in the long run.

Macka

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Here in Greeley, not many stations have Ethanol-free gas. One that does sells it for $.40 more than E10. If E10 has caused me any problems, I guess it might have been the one I had with my fuel pump, but after 130K miles, I wasn't too upset about that failure. Ethanol-free wasn't available most of the time or in most of the places I've lived. If it had been, it would have cost me about $1,150. The fuel pump was cheaper than that. :cool:

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Macka,
I am glad that you got a ride in and I hope you get more. I went thru a period of not riding. The rides afterward were magic.
This hobby will end for all of us ... but not quite yet please.
Cheers

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Sorry to hear of your issues. I hope you can at some point in time overcome them and return to normal... if there is such a thing..

God Bless!

Mike

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
Best wishes, Macka. I know Australia has a top notch medical system - my brother has dual US and Australian citizenship and lives in Gold Coast. Hopefully you will be back to regular riding soon.

Top Bottom