Helmet Locks

tamtihae

Has anyone added a helmet lock to their NT?

I know there's one under the seat but it's kind of a pain to get the seat off (well actually the pain is getting it back on) and my helmet doesn't seem to fit there anyway ... the strap connecting the D-ring to the helmet is too short or something and there's no way to get the seat back on the bike with the helmet attached.

James

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I never lock my helmet to the bike. I have a helmet bag and carry the helmet around in it. Since I don't have a topcase yet, that works for me.

I have not found a topcase that I would want yet--most are too tall. I will probably get some sort of luggage rack and attach a rail bag to it. I am still working on the design. I may fabricate my own using steel rod stock and welding it up myself and then chrome plating it.

elizilla

James, there are aftermarket helmet locks you could permanently install on the bike, if you don't want to just carry a small bicycle cable lock.

Handlebar helmet lock
License plate helmet lock

Salariel - here's your topcase. It's 8.1" tall. Also, minimize the height by buying these, and fastening them to a flat steel or aluminum plate right bolted close on top of the tail, instead of getting the official Givi mount that stick up way too high. Of course, this doesn't help you lock up helmets; they don't fit in there. But it will hold the small bicycle cable lock you use to lock the helmets to the bike. :)

maxweljames

My work lot is secured so I'll leave it out there on top of the tank. If I'm going to be away from the bike for a bit at a store I'll either take it with me or toss it in the trunk. Shorty will fit in the pans so that's another option. And for the quick grocery run I'll use the shorty as a basket for small items as I roam the store, chin strap equals carry handle.

I tried the under the seat strap once, in my own garage. I was able to attach the wife's and my open face helmets to it and re-secure the seat. Yes it worked, no I will probably never use it again, but at least I know it's there if I do need it.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I use a 14 inch Master Lock Cable "Gun" Lock and lock my helmet's chin bar to the handle bar clamp. Easy to store, cheap (Less than $10 at sporting goods stores) and that bright "Beretta" logo may help someone decide to keep on walking....

Attachments

bicyclist

I use a 14 inch Master Lock Cable "Gun" Lock and lock my helmet's chin bar to the handle bar clamp. Easy to store, cheap (Less than $10 at sporting goods stores) and that bright "Beretta" logo may help someone decide to keep on walking....
If you call your local PD, you can probably get a free version of that. There was a program to pass out free gun locks not too long ago. Dunno whether it was a large scale program or not, but all the jurisdictions around here took part. I got a few and use one as a helmet lock.

elizilla

I don't have a Fraternal Order of Police sticker, any fancy locks, and I rarely put a cover on, but I've never had anyone touch any of my bikes either. And it's not because I don't take them places.

maxweljames

I think I'll eliminate the need for the would be thief to actually identify the Beretta logo and put 2 and 2 together. I'm just going to leave a spent round from my Beretta on the tank. :rocket1:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The only thing I've ever had stolen from my bike (from any of them actually, including bicycles) was my helmet. It was three-four years old, sitting outside the church, on top of my Garmin Street Pilot 2720 GPS when I went into the church at about 4:30 that afternoon. At 8:45 when I came in, it was gone. It was stinky and scratched and I had been thinking about replacing it.

I still keep it right there. I've been riding for nearly 13 years now, and that's the only thing that's wver been bowrrowed.

maxweljames

The only thing I've ever had stolen from my bike (from any of them actually, including bicycles) was my helmet. It was three-four years old, sitting outside the church, on top of my Garmin Street Pilot 2720 GPS when I went into the church at about 4:30 that afternoon. At 8:45 when I came in, it was gone. It was stinky and scratched and I had been thinking about replacing it.
They took the crappy helmet and left the GPS? Some people really need some schooling in how to be a thief. Maybe a book, "Idiots Guide to Stealing Stuff"

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
"Some people really need some schooling in how to be a thief. Maybe a book, "Idiots Guide to Stealing Stuff" "

Yep. Our local band of criminals ain't too bright.

Top Bottom