Hmm. Found a circlip on my carport floor

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
... right where I park my motorcycles.

The GL1800 and the NT700V are parked side by side, and today I found the circlip below on the floor between them.

Does this look like something that would fall out of the bodywork of an NT? It is approximately an inch in diameter.

2023-06-07 12.21.46.jpg

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Pretty tough to guess what it might or might not be. Good luck on the search.
1. It looks very clean, almost new.
2. A clue might be it's size. What shafts are that size? Foot brake lever retainer?

Arknt

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
On Honda motorcycles, such circlips can only be found in the transmission.

OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Thanks to you both for the suggestions.

@DirtFlier am I correct to assume it is impossible for one to fall out of the transmission unless the bike is in pieces on the bench?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The transmission circlips act as stops for certain sliding gears and even with the crankcases split, they stay in place. The countershaft & mainshaft in the transmission have to be disassembled before the circlips are free.

OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
The transmission circlips act as stops for certain sliding gears and even with the crankcases split, they stay in place. The countershaft & mainshaft in the transmission have to be disassembled before the circlips are free.
Roger that. Thanks. I have an inquisitive mind and am intuitive by nature. So now my curiosity is piqued and my intuition is in active mode.

This bike "came to me" in an unusual set of circumstances as I bought it from an estate after the previous owner passed. Thus far I like the bike and am very pleased with the ride and handling, but I was unable to query the PO about his knowledge of the mechanical history of the bike.

The upshot is that I towed the NT home for ~ 500 miles on a trailer, so it had plenty of shaking and bumping on that trip. And I've owned the GL18 parked next to it for eight years and nothing has ever fallen out from under it. So this had to have come from inside the bodywork of the NT.

Which leads me to several questions:

- If I found this on the floor, and they are only installed inside the transmission, why was it stuck somewhere in the bodywork?
- If this indicates the cases have been opened, how might I find out what Honda shop did the work?
- And finally, if it has a transmission issue, what should I feel or listen for?

Ah ... the joys of purchasing a new (to me) motorcycle. My wife and I joke that any new mechanical conveyance is just the "starter kit."

OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I wouldn't worry about it or try to find the origin. Just ride it and be happy! :)
10-4, thanks. Like most motorcyclists I tend to monitor the scoot instinctively and on the go, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. The bike is "new to me" but my (late) friend was conscientious, and a bit of a nitpicker over things mechanical. So I would be very surprised to discover anything of substance to be repaired on the bike.

My wife and I camp regularly during the summer, but I will be at home all but one weekend from June 12 through July 18. Somewhere in that period I plan to devote a few days to removing all of the bodywork and checking fasteners, fitment, and plugs. It will all sort out.

For now, the bike runs well and is a lot of fun around town. :thumb:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
If for some reason, one of those transmission circlips was missing, you'd know about it because the bike wouldn't shift correctly through the gears.

Perhaps one of your friends who knows your nature is playing a trick on you?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
That’s too big a clip for a motorcycle. I’d expect that size on a universal joint bushing possibly picked up off the road somewhere. Don’t worry about it.

Top Bottom