Honda DN-01

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
I'm probably late to the party on this, I just discovered the DN-01 a 2009 bike on Honda's website. http://powersports.honda.com/street/crossover.aspx . Looks like it uses the same motor as the NT but with a auto trans. Guess they did not go over too well -- Honda dealers have them on ebay at way less then 2009 list. When you paddle shift the trans, it has six "gears", on auto it's a CVT. Wonder if the final drive ratio is numerically lower then what our NTs are in 5th?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
You are right, beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. Regarding the styling if they had given it either decent under seat storage or luggage, it would have probably done a lot better...

The first Victory Vision I ever saw was baby blue bike with the top box on. Just looking at the thing made me feel like I'd better go start a bar fight or just hang it up and change my name to Susie and go put on a skirt and some high heeled shoes.

The DN-01 didn't provoke as strong a reaction. I actually test drove one and it handles very similar to the NT but in terms of storage it was woefully inadequate.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Pretty sure a vision Tour will find a home in my garage one of these days. Like the way they look and like how the top case comes off. The tip protection is a big plus as well. The DN-01 just does not resonate with me, real easy to forget and the list price is a real shocker.

Bike
2015 Yamaha FZ-07
They sold one at the local dealer here for 7999. Looks like an old evinrude outboard motor crossed with a cruiser cycle. One thing I loved about it was the color. I wish that candy red came on the NT. It was gorgeous in the showroom.
Leo

maxweljames

I sat on one at the dealer when I picked up the NT. You're sitting up, legs forward, too cruiser for anybody doing sport touring, certainly you wouldn't catch any crotch rocket jocks on one. But when you look at the styling it's too much like a sport bike with the elongated front fairing and windshield, add in the lower cowling contoured to the front wheel, no self respecting Cruiser would be caught dead on one. I get it, they wanted to blend a cruiser with a sport bike and not have it be a sport touring bike. This one should have stayed on the drawing board or at the most on display at an auto show. It is a strange yet beautiful bike, until you see someone sitting on it, then the beauty is gone and you're left trying to figure out what the heck it is.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I believe Honda San has stopped making them due to lack of demand.

Bob

I sat on one at the dealer when I picked up the NT. You're sitting up, legs forward, too cruiser for anybody doing sport touring, certainly you wouldn't catch any crotch rocket jocks on one. But when you look at the styling it's too much like a sport bike with the elongated front fairing and windshield, add in the lower cowling contoured to the front wheel, no self respecting Cruiser would be caught dead on one. I get it, they wanted to blend a cruiser with a sport bike and not have it be a sport touring bike. This one should have stayed on the drawing board or at the most on display at an auto show. It is a strange yet beautiful bike, until you see someone sitting on it, then the beauty is gone and you're left trying to figure out what the heck it is.
Exactly right.

elizilla

I know a guy who has one. He's a constant bike switcher - every year a new machine of some sort. He has kept the DN-01 for a couple years now, and says it's the best bike he's ever had. I don't understand the appeal, but perhaps there is more to it than meets the eye. I wonder if they would have more luck selling them if test rides were widely available?

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I know a guy who has one. He's a constant bike switcher - every year a new machine of some sort. He has kept the DN-01 for a couple years now, and says it's the best bike he's ever had. I don't understand the appeal, but perhaps there is more to it than meets the eye. I wonder if they would have more luck selling them if test rides were widely available?
Probably. We also have a couple of them around here and the owners love them. They are fuel efficient, handle quite well, and do look sort of futuristic. Our Honda dealer says that the DN-1 targets the scooter market with its automatic transmission, and very low seat height. The concept seems spot on--certainly Honda took a risk putting out this trial baloon. I like Honda because they are inovators.

They do the same with their cars--like the Element. Terrible sales when they tried to look like a mini Hummer. Now the body and fenders ate the same colour, and they sell. They are an incredibly practical vehicle. I will probably replace my Suburban with one.

maxweljames

They do the same with their cars--like the Element. Terrible sales when they tried to look like a mini Hummer. Now the body and fenders ate the same colour, and they sell. They are an incredibly practical vehicle. I will probably replace my Suburban with one.
At the risk of riding over the center line of off topic; I love my Element, had it for 7 years. I was always a pickup truck guy and I've very rarely needed the help of a friend with a larger truck since buying the Element. Chances are that if I can't haul it in the Element I should just have it delivered anyways. Gotta love Honda.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
That's really too bad. Why should all bikes look the same? I had considered a DN-1 and went with the NT because it seemed like a more practical touring machine.

I am with Karl. The Victory Vision is one fantastic machine! Anybody who has any doubts should test drive one. Our biggest dealer in Maine--Friend and Friend took on Victory in addition to every other bike on the planet--and they had a big party and allowed test rides. The Vision is an incredible bike. I really have no words to describe it. I can say that it handles like a sport touring bike. The power is awesome.

jwayne

I don't know if its the design or what look at the Aprillia Mana, I think a very good looking bike but it too is a slow seller. Is it to much scooter and not enough bike or to much bike and not enough scooter?

Bike
2010 Silver NT ABS
For the record I was pretty close to buying the DN-01 but they wouldn't break the price down and you can't store a darned pack of Kleenex on there. It rides nice, really nice (it's actually smoother than the NT, 6 speed very smooth power band) there is no real aftermarket parts and windshield, bags, seat or anything for it. I must have taken that thing out at least 6 times. They should have put that auto on the NT. It's actually a good idea, solid design but very poorly executed. Having come from an auto scooter I'm a bit spoiled and probably a little biased but if it weren't for the price (at the time) and the lack of after market support plus the tiny assed 3.5 gallon tank I would have bought it.

Last edited:

ken45

I may have been interested in one except for the high price and the awkward riding position. The photos look like the handlebars are pulling hard on the rider's arms. When I sat on one, it felt the same way, at least in the showroom. And the zero storage was a turn off.

OTOH, the auto transmission would be a blessing for me since I have a bad ankle and shifting is a challenge.

I actually asked about them a couple of months ago and was told that they sold them off at fire sale prices, just over 50% of MSRP. At that kind of price, it would have been worth reconsidering.

Ken

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
You have to give Honda credit for being innovative but you also have to question their market research.

Top Bottom