Honda Hawk Legacy

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I have often wondered if the NT could be cafe'd up. After seeing these pics, I think it would be doable and fun if a guy had the funds to try

U20417

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I had a 78 Hawk back in the early 80's. I agree, it always put a smile on my face!!! (c:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Simpler times, for sure. In those days I just bought a rear luggage rack and strapped any bag on it and off I went. Now, after purchasing the NT, I added probably a dozen things and spent around $1000!

I had a '76 CB360T then a '78 CB550F. I was really looking for a nice 550Four for quite a while but couldn't find one I could afford and relatively close by. This mint Hawk came available and I literally and figuratively jumped on it.
LOL.. and you think it's the times that have changed.. :rofl1:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Good article on the Hawk. It might be splitting hairs but the NT was based on the Revere not the Hawk. While both used the same engine the Hawk was chain drive and the Revere was shaft drive. The Revere was another one if those bikes designed for the European market and not sold in the US.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
["...I believe they were pushed aside by the sport bike revolution started by the Ninja's introduction in what, 1984 or 85?.."]

The Hawk 650GT was one of the diverse models Honda introduced during the 1988-90 time frame in America so came later than the first Ninjas. It was a sales flop initially then became a cult classic some years later; a similar path to the Pacific Coast and Trans-Alp.

The name "Hawk" has been used since the 1960s and most times the engines don't bear any relationship from one version to the next, so it's not as if it has been a steady evolution of a basic design.

kenstone

Thanks for the link, a good read.
Even Suzuki quickly jumped in that market with the VX800 but that bike died along with the Hawk, it probably was the price point the shaft drive demanded.
Then Suzuki hit the sweet spot with the 2 versions SV650.
My VXs, I have 2:rolleyes1:

Sorry, I'm a pic ho

Bike
2010 Red NT700
That's pretty much the same engine i had in my '86 Intruder. It wasn't fast but it had almost limitless torque and never once broke down in the 10 years I had it.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have seen a couple of Hawk GTs in person. Really liked them. If you have ever had your plastics off then the family resemblance is obvious. The article mentions the competion from the SV650. The SV650 was carb'd, at first, then in 2003 or 2004 upgraded with FI. As much as I like the hawk gt, if I was in the market for a bike like this I would get a FI SV650. They are common and affordable. I found a perfect blue one with less than 8K miles on it selling for $3800 awhile back. Luckily it was an hour away so I never went an looked at it, or else I might have bought it. Similar engine to the DL650.

kenstone

That's pretty much the same engine i had in my '86 Intruder. It wasn't fast but it had almost limitless torque and never once broke down in the 10 years I had it.
Do you mean like this one

yes, it's mine too :redface:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The only Hawk I've ever seen was for sale at the Honda dealer in Gainesville, FL, where I bought a new rear tire and front brake pads while on the Epic Ride. It was in near-mint condition, but I didn't ask the price. Very nice looking bike!

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
I saw one for sale last summer on a used car lot in Longmont, CO. It was setup as a caf? racer. They wanted $2,000 USD for it.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Ken
Mine was a wine color and had California touring bars, but yes, like that one. Maybe one of the best bikes I ever had.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Would the Hawk power upgrades work on an NT?
In 2006 when Honda redesigned the Deauville by increasing the engine to 680cc, adding fuel injection and the four valve head it most likely surpassed anything you could do with the Hawk engine and still have a reliable engine. I think it would be neat if you could put the NT700V engine in a Hawk. That engine in the lighter Hawk would give it a real performance increase.

kenstone

Really nice bikes Ken! How do they ride?
Thanks,
I find myself riding the smaller bike the most, so the NT is for "trips" rather than local riding.
I enjoy the lower seat and lighter weight of the VX800 and have improved the ride/handling by changing the fork springs, installing 17 inch front wheel from a GS500, shaved the seat bump, and moved the forks up a half an inch in the triple trees.
The VX is like a naked NT with more VTwin "vibes" that may be just because of the carbs/duel exhaust.
Ken

Top Bottom