Honda tank pad

NCpkwyrider1

I'm thinking about ordering the tank pad from Honda. It looks nice but is it really worth the money? Can those of you with tank pads please share your thoughts? Thanks!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I have it... It does protect the back of the tank from jacket zipper / snap scratches and it "breaks up" the vast expanse of the tank.... The ST1300 and NT700 use the same part number so shop around using both models for the best deal....

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I got a tank pad the other day. It does the job well and looks nice. It is a bit pricey for a piece of vinyl with two sided tape. It does fit well and is easy to install. The price was a bit steep. I suspect that there is some generic pad out there that would work. The pad was "made in Hungary"--so much for outsourcing. It is a nice well made pad--but for $70--you be the judge.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
A tank pad was the first thing I added to my NT.
I like the look and the protection it provides.
$64.95 with free shipping on eBay. Same seller I bought mine from.
The measurements on the instruction sheet were wrong. I'm guessing they were for an ST?
Wasn't hard to figure out where to place it.

bicyclist

The tank pad was the one option that my bike didn't come with (that and large lids). I had some Snider's Paintgard http://www.snidersproducts.com left over from another bike, so I cut a piece and applied it where the tank pad would go. It's a clear vinyl product that is difficult to see once it's on the surface and does a great job of protecting the paint from scratches. For the cost of a Honda tank pad, you could cover the whole bike.

I bought a clear tank pad that is 'universal' for $10 and it protects my tank just fine. I have a bubble in in from my application but I think most of us would do fine. Cheap. It works.

Terry

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I got the Honda tankpad (although I think mine was from Romania). I'm sure there are lots of ways to protect the tank that would work, but I like the looks ("Vanity of vanity, all is vanity," said the Preacher [Ecclesiastes]) and it was one of the cheaper things I've done.

When I bought my Concours, I scraped up the back of the tank until I got a "bra." I'd rather tell people I've got a tank pad than a tank bra.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA, #227
I ordered mine with the bike and had the dealer put it on. It looks good, is functional and as to expensive, it seems to me that every doo dad involved in non-essential elective activities is over priced. Look at marine hardware! If you want to start another thread about over priced items, try eyeglass frames. How about neckties? One is $50 another is $5 and you could swtich the pricetags back and forth.

Going back to the tank pad again, I had not planned on dying rich anyway so this item, and the NT700VA, are bringing me closer to that goal.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I like your comment about not planning to die rich. When you think about it--Have you ever seen a hearse with a luggage rack?

maupen

I got from Silver Spares, UK, $ 23.0 with Shipping included..

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I like your comment about not planning to die rich. When you think about it--Have you ever seen a hearse with a luggage rack?
Or - have you ever seen an armored car following a hearse?

I'm sure there are lots of ways to protect the tank that would work, but I like the looks ("Vanity of vanity, all is vanity," said the Preacher [Ecclesiastes]) and it was one of the cheaper things I've done.
+1 on liking the looks. Except for the grip puppies, it is the cheapest thing I've done.

OP
OP

NCpkwyrider1

I got from Silver Spares, UK, $ 23.0 with Shipping included..
Mauricio, I ordered a tank pad from Silver Spares. Just out of curiosity, how long did it take to get yours after you ordered it?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Don't know about the tank pad, but when I ordered large pannier lids from them, they shipped the morning after I placed the order at about 4AM their time. The package arrived one week later.

maupen

Rob, they sent the Tank Pad using USPS, not DHL, took about 8 days after they shipped it..

Bike
2010 Red NT700
When I bought the large pannier lids from them they arrived so fast I didn't know what hit me. I think I ordered on a Monday, had them on Thursday. Everything well packed, no dents on packaging. From England to Alaska.....amazing.

freezingalaskan

OP
OP

NCpkwyrider1

I ordered the tank pad and the bag liners from Silver Spares. I was pleased with the quality of the items ordered and they arrived at my house in less than a week BUT they charged me a fortune in shipping costs (somewhere around $65).

lcseds

The NT700 Honda had at the IMS in Greenville SC had carbon fiber knee pads and a tank pad installed. That looked great, but I don't know where they came from.

Top Bottom