Honda, the CTX, and the DCT

Today while riding the Ural I was thinking a DCT would be nice. I am having some trouble with my left foot that makes it really hard for me to move the shift lever. On the Super10 I was able to move it pretty far down and this makes it easier for me to lift it. But on the Ural it is too high, too close, and not adjustable without a welder. I end up having to put the whole left side of my body into moving it.

Maybe my next bike will be a VFR1200, with DCT and a sidecar. That would be awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aprilla Mana has a CVT tranny. Aprilla RSV4 has something close, you can shift without the clutch or lifting off throttle. Don't know how they do it.

Aprillia's AQS is software controlling the ecu same as BMW's quick shift that lets you shift the manual trans mission at full throttle without the clutch. Some CVT's have artificial steps to make folks feel like they are doing something other than spoiling the CVT.

You can't buy a new Ferrari today with a conventional manual. They are all automated now like every F1 car on the grid. I believe more bikes will pick up the torch with time. Race rules are the only thing keeping the change from happening now probably.

And then it is just a short step to full computer control of the tranny. Before you shudder in disgust try driving one of the better automatics.

Our Mini Cooper with the 6sp auto was great. It had a manual mode with paddles on the wheel. I could not out do the auto mode (in the sport setting) unless I really concentrated. The auto upshifted and downshifted exactly when I would have, if I could hit the RPM points with that kind of precision. I would welcome a bike ith that kind of shifting capability.

The only bike I ever had with a sort of semi-automatic was my JAWA 350. You used the clutch in first and that was all. Upshifts and downshifts were clutchless. I loved that bike---sure smoked a lot.

REAL riders who can't use a clutch anymore ride Guzzi Converts. :D :D Several have modified theirs to be operated by one hand. One guy even modified his to operate with the feet, throttle on right and brake on left.

I will definitely make the switch to DCT/CVT in the future. I think it's great it's crossing over to the motorcycle segment.

I have had the opportunity to drive a C-5 ZOS with six speed manual , also drove a CAD STSV with a six speed from Oregon to Indiana, n & home again two years ago. Neat cars both of them, BUTT I really prefer the auto, with the six speed you have to be concentrating all the time while with the six speed paddle like my 07 Vette Roadster it works much better for me. LOL I know there are many various oppinions about that. We had a wing chapter guy tha had the Silver wing Honda scooter & I rode with him several times while I still had the Gl1800. I really had to work to stay with him form a stop if he was gouging on it. Based on that I would say that a wing with a auto comes along it would be a screamer.

A bagel shop in Brooklyn had a sign in the window "done expertly by hand while you wait" That about sums up a manual for me. It gives me pleasure to get in the zone and get it right. Yes a an automated manual will give me better lap times but who gives a purple petunia on the street.

I agree with you when riding my Guzzi. It is approaching 30 yrs old. It is loud, rattles, has a transmission from a tractor and a clutch with a 1/32" engagement 'window'. I'd never want an automatic on it (even though the Guzzi Convert was made before my bike was, by quite a few years).

But, a VFR1200, with all the bells and whistles, or an Aprilla RSV4 with full traction control.....those I'd love to have 'paddle' shifter or full automatic.

The RSV4 is a conventional manual. There are factory and aftermarket quick shifters but Honda has the only motorcycle fully automated manuals out there that I know of.

But, a VFR1200, with all the bells and whistles, or an Aprilla RSV4 with full traction control.....those I'd love to have 'paddle' shifter or full automatic.

The Honda DCT has both full auto and a paddle shifter. I almost went with the NC700x for that reason but I wanted the better windshield and fairing of the NT more than the automatic.

A bagel shop in Brooklyn had a sign in the window "done expertly by hand while you wait" That about sums up a manual for me. It gives me pleasure to get in the zone and get it right. Yes a an automated manual will give me better lap times but who gives a purple petunia on the street.

Karl,
We share the same philosophy. Driving a slush box cage gives me the yawns, regardless of speeds. I always feel that the car is driving me instead the other way around. A slush in a bike--Yikes! then again, to each his own.

Karl,
We share the same philosophy. Driving a slush box cage gives me the yawns, regardless of speeds. I always feel that the car is driving me instead the other way around. A slush in a bike--Yikes! then again, to each his own.

That's what I thought until I drove a car with a paddle shifter. It also makes you much more precise at shifting. No slipping the clutch when you make a downshift too soon, etc. :)

But, some of those who don't like them will always not like them no matter what. ;)

Thanks for confirming. I do like those DCTs. Many of the high-end (read $$$) sports cars have been using DCTs for some time now. They are really neat. Kinda like the best of both worlds.

Not having a manual clutch would certainly require a big adjustment to my slow speed maneuvers technique.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom