Hope it's just a temporary phase - joy drives instead of joy rides.

ett

So with my '08 Ranger having been totaled by a hit-n-run SUV driver back in January, and not liking nor being able to afford any new pickups.
(Sorry, but pickups with 4-doors, 4ft beds, and costing the price of a house; is not for me.)
I had to settle for buying a used vehicle. Meaning buying someone else's lack of maintenance.
I really wanted another 2wd compact pickup that has manual transmission, factory installed 2" tow hitch, and can accept a Truetrac differential.
Absolutely none were to be found.

So after looking at over 30 different vehicles with over a dozen test drives.
I had to settle for a 2011, 2-door Jeep Wrangler, that had 98k miles. Clearly not a pickup.
But it did have a manual transmission, factory installed tow hitch, and can accept Truetrac differentials.
And it is not a pita to climb down or up into.
PLUS of all the vehicles I looked at; it was the only one that was not an over priced, total piece of crap.

While it's not a pickup. Since I no longer do motorcycle road racing; I figure I can settle for using Jeep with trailer those few times per year when I would have actually used a pickup as a pickup. ;)

Since buying this Jeep first Sat in February. I've been slowly working on fixing it up and learning about Jeep's idiosyncrasies.
Did you know that the Jeep 3.8 motor is known for gulping down oil ? Chrysler says as much as 1-qt every 1k miles is perfectly acceptable. o_O
Which; during first two oil changes; I learned this Jeep was using a quart every 2,500 miles.

And reasons for it devouring motor oil are:
  • Many of the motors made in Mexico had the piston rings installed wrong; both upside down and the ring gaps all aligned.
  • The 3.8 motor was originally a minivan motor designed to use 10w30. But for CAFE standards; Chrysler recommended to use 5w20 when they began installing them in Jeeps.
  • The stock PCV valves are crap.
So far; replacing PCV valve and switching to 5w30 motor oil appears to have greatly reduced oil consumption.

Did you know that to get new TPMS sensors to begin being identified by vehicle's computer; you actually have to over inflate tires, drive for a while, then lower tires to correct PSI ??
Did you know, that it's impossible to fully drain the cooling system ? I don't mean by being off by 1/2 quart, 1-quart, or even 2-quarts.
But rather draining from the radiator only removes 1-1/2 quarts from the cooling system's 13-quarts !
Did you know that to get to radiator drain plug; one has to remove front spoiler, grill, and bumper spacer.
Did you know, that once you use the radiator drain plugs; they are known to leak ?
Did you know that Chrysler's DriveCycle for O2 monitors is nearly impossible to achieve ?
In fact, I can not legally follow that drive cycle where I live.
Fortunately PA allows one Emissions monitor to be in a Not Ready state.
Did you know that Jeep JK's are notorious for small EVAP leaks; who's fix is to replace the entire fuel tank. At cost of almost $2k. o_O
Did you that when you fix one item on a Jeep; within one tankful of fuel another item will need fixing. Even is it was something you just fixed previous tankful. :rofl1:
I could go on. But that's enough for now.
Over the course of fixing up this 2011 Jeep. I've come to the conclusion it's the Moto Guzzi of the 4-wheeled world. :p

Anyway, I've been taking this Jeep for joy drives instead of taking my Griso or NT for joy rides.
In fact; the only motorcycle riding I've done so far in 2024. Is to take my Moto Guzzi Griso for inspection.
Haven't touched the NT at all. :(

Next week Jeep is going to OK4WD to have Truetracs installed.
And although I am on-call at work. Maybe not having the Jeep for a week; will force me to start riding the NT.

So hopefully this joy-driving instead of joy-riding, is just a temporary phase, caused by having a new-to-me vehicle.🤞

Pics if interested:

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Looks great, A few months ago I picked up a Wrangler also. A 2017 3.6 motor, two door half door, soft top, 6 speed manual. with 42350 miles on it. A bit more than I wanted to spend. I wanted a TJ model 2005/2006 like I have a few years back, but was unable to find one with a reasonable amount of miles, for a reasonable price, that had not been molested here in Colorado. Yes the wranglers do have their idiosyncrasies. A great forum is Wrangler Forum (WF) Lots of good info with a good bunch of folks that will answer your questions with out ridicule. Good luck and have fun with you new adventure ride.

First two pictures are my new to me 2017 JK model and last two pics are of my old 2006 TJ model.

428247195_365997389578686_1319440556512281_n.jpgSAM_7955.JPGdsc02517.jpgPDR_0474.JPG

Reactions: ett
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Sounds like you have gotten to know the new jeep pretty well. I can see it would be difficult/impossible to find a new rig set up the way you want it. The manufacturers want you to fit their mold.

Arknt

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Despite its idiosyncracies, you will grow to love it. In Chryslers defense, the O2 drive cycle you refer to was not developed by their engineers, nay, it was those devious bastards at the EPA and no one, regardless of State can drive the cycle!

Mike

OP
OP
ett

ett

Despite its idiosyncracies, you will grow to love it. In Chryslers defense, the O2 drive cycle you refer to was not developed by their engineers, nay, it was those devious bastards at the EPA and no one, regardless of State can drive the cycle!

Mike
I must have spent at least three tank fulls trying to follow O2 Chrysler Drive Cycles I found online.
None worked. I saw multiple stories online of lots of people having to resort to re-flashing ECM or replacing PCM.
SO went to Jeep dealer to have them diagnose why the O2 monitor will not complete.
They had no clue and asked Jeep/Chrysler.
Chrysler replied:
From a cold soak start; warm up vehicle.
  1. Use cruise control to drive 60mph in 6th (or top) gear constantly for 5 minutes.
  2. Use cruise control to drive 70mph in 6th (or top) gear constantly for 5 minutes; then decelerate to 55mph without touching the brakes.
  3. Repeat step #2 for two times. (Does that mean a total of 2 or 3 ??)
  4. Stop and let vehicle idle for 1 minute.
  5. Turn off vehicle and remove the key.
  6. Wait 2 minutes; turn key back on and check that O2 monitor has completed. If not; repeat entire drive cycle.
The speed limits on the interstate near me is 55mph. driving 70mph WILL get you a ticket.
It's physically impossible to drive at those speeds, non-stop, for 5 minutes. The interstate is too crowded
Plus after all that driving on the interstate near me; you arrive where the interstate has no shoulders on which to stop. :eek:

There's definitely a better way to get the O2 monitor to complete and pass.
Because I used my own OBD2 scanner during both test drives of this Jeep; and all the monitors were passing.
The monitors only went off, when I replaced the vehicle's battery. And the O2 monitor is the only one that will not complete.

Fun Fun Fun :wave1:

OP
OP
ett

ett

Is this just something that is unique to the 3.8 motor or? Have not heard about this in reference to my 2017 3.6 motor. Mine passed the Colorado emission test fine.
My internet searches found it to be happening with many different variants of both Jeep model and motor.
I even found other Chrysler vehicles having similar problem.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
We'll all move off of 2-wheelers and onto 4-wheels at some point downstream, some earlier than others.

ps. I had a license to drive anything up to a 6-by in the military so have no fascination for modern jeeps.

OP
OP
ett

ett

Well this looks interesting. A motorcycle tire balancer that can do car tires.
No-Mar Monster Wheel Balancer

With my previous two 4-wheeled vehicles; 1994 Ford Ranger Splash and above mentioned 2008 Ford Ranger.
I had two sets of wheels for each.
One set for all-season tires, and a second set for snow tires.

With all the motorcycle tires I was going through each year back then.
~30k miles on street, plus racing; I was easily going through at least 10 sets of tires per year.
Naturally for cost savings; I was doing my own motorcycle tire changing and balancing.

And all this motorcycle tire changing, lead me to also attempt changing of tires for my Rangers.
The tire changing was easy. Actually easier than low profile motorcycle tires.
BUT balancing was not possible.
First; the only car tire balancer I could get my hands on; was a Harbor Freight bubble balancer.
Second; Ford Ranger wheels had no flat spot in the center line of wheel, on which I could mount stick-on wheel weights.

So what I would do is change tires on wheels not currently on vehicle, then take mounted tires to local tire store and have them balance for a small fee.

Looking at the wheels of this new-to-me Jeep.
They appear to have a nice flat spot in center of wheel on which I could place stick-on wheel weights.
So the above No-Mar Monster Wheel Balancer has me wondering if it could be used to successfully static balance the Jeep's 255/75-17 tires. 🤔

BUT with the Jeep being 4wd; I probably will not need to buy a second set of wheels with snow tires.
And since my No-Mar tire changer mounts into the tow hitch.
Could I safely change Jeeps tires with one corner of Jeep on jack (or jack-stand) and the tire changer mounted in Jeep's tow hitch ? 🤔

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
We'll all move off of 2-wheelers and onto 4-wheels at some point downstream, some earlier than others.

ps. I had a license to drive anything up to a 6-by in the military so have no fascination for modern jeeps.
My old boss from the 1970s bought one. He said all young males had to have one till they had to live with it. Especially in winter. They don't speak to me but to each his own.

Top Bottom