Hopeful to be a newbie NT rider…

Last May I returned to riding at 73 after 40+ years away. Put about 1,000 miles on a 2006 Honda Rebel 250 since then and am ready to move on. I stumbled across a 2010 NT700V Silver while researching and looking online at CTX700’s this afternoon. So I’ve spent the last couple hours reading about the NT. I’m hooked…My only concerns are the seat height(I’m 5’6” with a 29 inch inseam)
and any possible v-twin buzzing vibration at 70-80mph. I won’t be able to inspect and ride this bike until next Wednesday so any input and/or advice on things to look for, any recalls, whatever, is appreciated. Btw, does $4,250 sound ballpark fair…19,000miles, looks very good in photos, claimed to be in excellent running/riding condition? Thanks everyone and I promise not to be so wordy next post!

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Welcome and enjoy your ride. Lots of information here for you to look at and help you with your decisions.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
Considering how long you have been away from riding, the size of your current bike, and your inseam. I would lean towards the CTX. It has a much lower center of gravity, and a smoother engine. That said, take the NT700 for a spin and see how confident you feel riding it.

OP
OP
Considering how long you have been away from riding, the size of your current bike, and your inseam. I would lean towards the CTX. It has a much lower center of gravity, and a smoother engine. That said, take the NT700 for a spin and see how confident you feel riding it.
Thanks! Your timing could not have been better. The owner just texted to let me know he changed his mind and is keeping his LT. I’m going to take your advice and follow up on a 2016 CTX. Thanks again, I was relieved by your reply.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I was going to say welcome to the NT World but it sounds like your plans may have just changed.
Good luck on finding a ride that works for you.

If you find an NT the pannier latches are a recurring issue. Lots of posts here about them. A fix many have used are adding external latches. If still working the posts in pannier covers can be reinforced.

Arknt

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The NT is totally reliable (mine has 85k miles) but it is heavy (575 lbs) and noticeably top heavy, plus the weakness of the saddlebag lid latches as mentioned above. The latches are probably the #1 gripe about the NT but the external latches are a fairly inexpensive solution.

I have two pals who have CTX700s, both with DCT and they love those bikes. For me the "cruiser" ergo would be a deal breaker but probably natural for you since you've been riding a Rebel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I was going to say welcome to the NT World but it sounds like your plans may have just changed.

If you find an NT the pannier latches are a recurring issue. Lots of posts here about them. A fix many have used are adding external latches. If still working the posts in pannier covers can be reinforced.

Arknt

Arknt
Thanks.

OP
OP

Arknt
Thank you.

OP
OP
The NT is totally reliable (mine has 85k miles) but it is heavy (575 lbs) and noticeably top heavy, plus the weakness of the saddlebag lid latches as mentioned above. The latches are probably the #1 gripe about the NT but the external latches are a fairly inexpensive solution.

I have two pals who have CTX700s, both with DCT and they love those bikes. For me the "cruiser" ergo would be a deal breaker but probably natural for you since you've been riding a Rebel.
[/QUOTE
I’m hoping to sit a CTX this afternoon to see if the forward controls are going to be a problem due to my short legs.
Other than that, the CTX is most likely the bike for me. Thanks for your input.

OP
OP

Arknt
Thanks.

Top Bottom