Votes: 107 93.0%
  • Not Me

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Hmmm....the poll was a good idea...I am wondering if a major poll would have any effect on Honda. Something like their customer survey they sent out. It would be optional of course, and anonymous.
1. Do you own an NT? Y/N
2. Age group? Fetus-20 something-gen X- codger
3. Sex? M/F/ not lately
4. Income? Y/N
5. Do you plan on purchasing any automatic weapons in the next 12 months Y/N?
6. Answer the following question by checking off up to 10 items. "I would be willing to pay $1,000 extra for my NT if it had the following items."
A. A side stand pad bigger than a postage stamp.
B. Something resembling a power band between 2500 and 3,000 rpm
C . A real luggage rack instead of a "rear handrail cover"
D. Hydrolic valves
E. 3 dimensional ajustable handlebars, a la Helibars.
F. 100 more CCs
G. A windscreen not meant for hobbits.
H. Standard hand wind deflectors
I. Less tupperware, more visable engine
J. Real helmet locks
K. A headlight bulb that can be changed in 10 minutes
L. A rear tire that comes off in 10 minutes
M. A tool kit
N. Bigger lids
O. Real lid latches
P. An ignition switch that isnt buried below the handle bars
Q. Self canceling turn signals
R. An odometer reset that could be used by gloved hands
S. An instantaeous MPG readout that doesnt lie like a politician
T. A spare shift lever bolt (now a $27 option )
U. Real helmet locks
V. A rider relief tube

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Hummmmmm.....microwave.....maybe in the right lid......it WOULD save the space of the stove.....
I am gonna google 12 volt microwave and see how small they get....also 12 v beer cooler for the left lid....

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Yes, bought new 2010 fast silver NT700V on 12-7-2011. have 12,600 miles so far, leading mileage tracker most of the year(big deal), but wish they were leisure miles instead of work related miles!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Miles is miles is miles. But some miles are better than others.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Not yet, but I'm aiming at one now. Current bikes are 2001 Concours and a 2008 Versys. I expect the NT to be inbetween those two (as in best of both)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Not yet, but I'm aiming at one now. Current bikes are 2001 Concours and a 2008 Versys. I expect the NT to be inbetween those two (as in best of both)
I haven't ridden a Versys, but I believe you'll find the NT to have much of the good from the Concours and you won't miss much from what it gives up.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I haven't ridden a Versys, but I believe you'll find the NT to have much of the good from the Concours and you won't miss much from what it gives up.
Interesting statement, Phil. I am not there yet. In some ways, the NT is a 3/4 sized Connie but in many ways it is its own bike. With both farkeled properly, they each have their pluses and minisus.
I count myself very lucky to have one good (red) example of each before change put them both on the shelf of history.
Here is an interesting factoid. When I bought my Connie in 2003, I paid $8,000. In todays dollars, that would be $9,937 dollars.....almost the exact retail of the NT I bought.

Bike
2010 RED NT700V #1188
How Many Forum Members Own an NT 700?

Purchased a Red 2010 NT Dec 23rd 2010. Put 100 miles a day to and from work and love every minute.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
I have a Red NT700V 2010 model (well, it's only partly red now, as it has a black Givi top box and what Honda calls "Anchor Grey Metallic" large lids) that I bought last year around this time.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Ken, I really like that color for the big lids! It'll sure show scratches less than my silver ones do.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Interesting statement, Phil. I am not there yet. In some ways, the NT is a 3/4 sized Connie but in many ways it is its own bike. With both farkeled properly, they each have their pluses and minisus.
I count myself very lucky to have one good (red) example of each before change put them both on the shelf of history.
Here is an interesting factoid. When I bought my Connie in 2003, I paid $8,000. In todays dollars, that would be $9,937 dollars.....almost the exact retail of the NT I bought.
You are on it Chris! I paid $6800 for my '01 Connie in the fall of '02. Got a similar deal on the Versys. But both are about twice the value per dollar of a Beemer. I do like BMW's, they are light and sweet, but expensive to buy and maintain. I see a lot of similarities in the NT owners and the COG people. They are looking for a good value on a sound bike that performes well in lots of conditioins. But I'm getting the NT because it is about 100# lighter than the Connie. The R1200RT is about the same weight as the NT and twice the price. Yes, the RT is faster, but I'm sure I could collect more than enough performance awards on an NT if I'm not careful.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
But I'm getting the NT because it is about 100# lighter than the Connie.
Jim, that's exactly why I got the NT. I've had five knee replacements. I could still pick TumbleToo up (that was the name of my 2nd '99 Connie), but I'd feel it for a few days. I figured the day was coming when I wouldn't be able to get the bike back up without help, and I'd been aware of the Deauville since the early Oughts (about 2002). I'd sat on an NT700V in a Honda dealership in Mannheim, Germany in '08. When I saw it was coming to the US, I thought I'd wait till the end of the year in '10 and sell my Connie and buy one.

Then I got to thinking. I was needing a new set of tires for the Connie ($300+) and with 65,000 miles on it, I knew it couldn't be worth much more than $2500. And if I spent the money on the tires and rode it everywhere I planned to go in the summer of '10, t would have 80,000 miles on it instead of the 65,000 miles it had on it March of '10. So, bit the bullet and bought the NT.

I sold the Connie to the first person that looked at it for $2500. He was happy and so was I.

I love the R-RTs that BMW makes. But they were well out of my price range in '99 when I bought Tumbleweed (Connie # 1). Used ones are mostly out of my price range. Plus after all the horror stories about rear-drive failure, I decided I couldn't afford to maintain one if I could afford to buy one.

I've been very happy with the NT. Oh, BTW, I see a few similarities between the RT and the NT. I've wondered if Honda's designers might have a few pictures of RTs hanging over their drawing boards:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
You are on it Chris! I paid $6800 for my '01 Connie in the fall of '02. Got a similar deal on the Versys. But both are about twice the value per dollar of a Beemer. I do like BMW's, they are light and sweet, but expensive to buy and maintain. I see a lot of similarities in the NT owners and the COG people. They are looking for a good value on a sound bike that performes well in lots of conditioins. But I'm getting the NT because it is about 100# lighter than the Connie. The R1200RT is about the same weight as the NT and twice the price. Yes, the RT is faster, but I'm sure I could collect more than enough performance awards on an NT if I'm not careful.
The NT is a fine bike and I would much rather have one than the new Connie C14, which is very heavy, expensive, expensive to insure, and has way too much HP. You are correct that there are many similarities between COG folk and NT folk. I noted right away when I joined this forum that there were a bunch of helpful, friendly folk here just like there are on the COG forum. I think both the C10 and the NT seem to draw the more mature, intellengent, friendly crowd....people you would like to sit down and have a beer with and listen to their stories....(I did consider a BMW just cause I like the light weight and easy to reach valves....but then there is that nasty drive shaft failure problem......

Top Bottom