How The West Was Won Rally

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I leave tomorrow morning to ride to Grand Junction for the HW3 Rally. Friday is tech inspection, odometer check, the before-rally banquet, and the rider meeting. We will be at our bikes at 5:30AM on Saturday morning for a 6:00AM departure. The next 32 hours will see us ride routes picked from the 108 possible bonus locations. We have to ride at least 1100 miles, which shouldn't be too difficult, and get 5,000 points minimum to be ranked as a finisher. We have to be back to the Clarion Inn in GJ no later than 2:00PM on Sunday afternoon.

There are categories for the bonii: Petroglyps, Epic Overlooks, Indians, Ghost Towns, Bridges and Ferries, Roadside America, and probably some others I'm not thinking of right now. Getting any two bonuses in a category doubles the points, getting four in a category triples them. There are points for up to four hours of rest (you can rest longer, but the points max out after four hours), and there are points for spelling "How the West Was Won," one letter at a time found on official city, county, and state signs, and for finding signs that have a US President's name on them.

I'm swamped with simply trying to get all the bonuses entered into a nifty program called EasyBake that gives you a spreadsheet app so you can sort bonus locations by points, availability (24-hours, daylight-only, or a specific time period), and then you can export them to Base Camp or Streets and Trips. I've got about half of them in and will spend tomorrow afternoon/evening and part of the time Saturday picking a route I want to ride and hoping it'll make me a finisher.

We've had the Bonus Pack since Friday night, so I'm guessing that lots of the riders have calculated and evaluated 8-10 possible routes. Not me! I do not see how people who do rallies like the Iron Butt Rally and only get the rally pack after the banquet the night before the Rally begins a few hours later can make decent plans.

I'll be taking pictures before the rally and after it ends. I'll be taking pictures during the rally, too, and I'll post some of them when I write a ride report at the end of the Rally.

Um, you better get to bed, Phil, if you have to be there at 5:30am - with breakfast inside you, I assume.

Looking forward to seeing your reports.

Well, crud. I may not even ride. I spent all last night sick as a dog. I don't know if it was something I ate or a bug of some sort, but I couldn't have ridden for an hour without needing to stop for a bathroom. I finally got to sleep at about 8AM and still feel pretty crummy. Tech inspection and odometer check tomorrow before the pre-rally banquet. I don't know how late I can get there and get that stuff done. The rallymaster is out of cell phone contact as he goes to Grand Junction, but I've left a message for him. We'll see...

pHIL,

SOUNDS LIKE MAYBE PRE RALLEY BUTTERFLIES. GET TO THE LOCAL DRUG /GRPCERY STORE AND STOCK UP ON A PLUGGING AGENT, I HOPE THAT WILL HELP.

rIDE sAFE MY FRIEND! NO uNCLE bUDS, OR kEN mORTONS !!!I WILL BE ON EDGE UNTIL I KNOW YOU HAVE CHECKED IN AS A FINISHER OR EVEN AS A dnf AS LONG AS IT IS A SAFE ONE,
ABOVE ALL ELSE HAVE FUN!!!

ELDON

I've been taking Imodium since yesterday afternoon and I'm better, but the way I'm still feeling tonight, I'm afraid I'm going to be a DNS. Bummer...

pHIL,

THat really sucks! I knowhow much it smarts to be all entered etc NS RHWN Hve to pull he pin , especially after refund date has passed. I hope thT YOU Cn mNge to show up and clain your 165.00 shirt! if you feel able to do so.

this is a real S---- situation for sure.

You had to miss spearfish and now this I sure hope it is not running in threes

I M HOPING THIS LONG PERIOD OF NO POSTING BY pHIL MEANS THAT HE IS UNDER CONTROL nd is rambling along the ralley rout

eldon

You said, "I hope things don't run in threes." Me, too, Eldon! I'm planning on coming to Oregon to see you after the finish of the 3-Flags Classic. I feel like a human being today, but I don't think I'd have been up for riding to Grand Junction at 5AM this morning.

Last edited:
Goodto heR FROM YOU pHIL!!! I m glD YOU re feeling better! been there done that a time or teo myself! I think most everyone who ever pulled a tour in lybya has had that xperience cLLED THE tRIPOLIE TROTS!. THE CHANGE OF WATER AND RECOMBINED POWDERED MILK AND POWDERED EGGS = OH SH--! FOR ABOUT 3- 5 DAYS OF MISERY. LOL I WONT GO INTO DETAILS ABOUT OTHER CHOICE COMENTS WE MADE ABOUT THAT AREA AS THERE ARE THOSE HERE WHO HAVE NO SENSE OF HUMOR.

SERIOUSLY THAT IS THE REASON THIS OLD LONG Hul ruck driver always purchases bottled water when away from home, heck I don't even drink Woodburn tap water unless it has been boiled and repaired with coffee!. You need to think bxk to where and what food and drink you consumed over the 3 or 4 days before you started having problems.

I'm pretty sure that I know what I ate and where I got it. My daughter had told me that Steak'n'Shake had good breakfasts and I always eat breakfast on my way to our Hospice team meetings on Wednesdays. I decided to give it a try. It took too long to get fixed, compared to Qdoba, and then it didn't really taste that good to me. I didn't eat anything else all day and started with the sh**s about 1:30 pm. Started upchucking about 3:00 am. Not much to come out either way, but it seems to be mostly gone now. Still don't feel real whippy and am very glad I didn't try to ride to Grand Junction today.

Sounds like you were down for the count. Sorry as it seems you put a lot of time and effort getting this ride to happen. It does seem though that you have many runs under your belt and many more to go.
Terry

Phil,

I think I would be contacting state health , or whomever is responsible for Resturant inspections in that area with FULL details!!! I would remame that place as tomain charleys anf recomend it to my enemy'I would also maybe first hVE A chat WITH THE MANAGER AND SUGGET THAT HE REIMBURSE ME FOR THE WASTED AND LOST ENTRANCE FEE THAT HIS FCILITY CAUSED YOU, ns when hw bLKA ak him if hw wNTA THIS dvwtizemwnt LL OVER THE INTERNET ETC THAT YOU CAN ARRANGE FOR THAT AS WELL!!

Eldon

Last edited:
It sucks to have to bow out of the ride...
Glad your feeling better Phil!
BTW it takes 12 to 24 hours for food poisoning to provide you with those symptoms...

It was not quite 12 hours when it hit me, Pete. It might have been a bug instead of food poisoning. I feel better, but I'm glad I'm not riding 1100 miles tonight.

Back
Top Bottom