Hybrid Honda

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
130mpg. Looks like it has 15" wheels, which should make for an OK ride. It'd be a good commuter bike, but I don't think it'd do well for touring or recreational riding. There's a subculture of folks that tour on 250 Helixes, but I've never seen anyone touring on small scooters like that.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
It's a step in the right direction.

I owned a 2015 Zero SR for over 2 years and put 23k miles on it. What I gained from that experience is that "Fully Electric" motorcycles are not ready to go "Primetime". There is still plenty of room for improvement and development is still required. The one hurdle that I had the most troubles with was the recharge cycle times. It took an average of 4-5 hours to fully charge for my 30-mile commute to work and then back home. I was able to get only 80-85 miles per charge riding at highway speeds.

A Hybrid Motorcycle is what I believe that will be the winning ticket. I would not hesitate to get one when Honda comes out with a full-sized one, perhaps the size of a CB500X or NC700X.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
+1 on vehicles with only battery power having too many limitations. Hybrids are the way to go! :)

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
It's interesting that in the early days of the automobile, electric, steam, and gas cars were all vying for supremacy. There wasn't a gas station infrastructure, and folks weren't keen on the combustibility of a tank of gas in your car. Gasoline eventually won out, of course, because of the extended range you could get. It was crank-and-go, rather than waiting for a steam boiler to heat up. And battery technology wasn't obviously up to snuff for anything other than city car use. But you'd be surprised how good they were back in ~1909. Check out Jay Leno's 1909 Baker Electric:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhnjMdzGusc

Now, of course, we have a gas station every 3 miles, so gas is tough to beat. Hybrids are only a stop-gap measure, because battery technology, for the most part, hasn't been able to meet the average user's requirements. But we're getting to the point where they are. Teslas have a 200-mile range. I went for a long drive (in the car) in the country last weekend, rambling for 4 hours and 170 miles. I could have done that long meander in a Tesla. I think Chevy's new Bolt has a similar range. I have a friend who has a Nissan Leaf and loved it. I think that had more of a 100-130mile range. We have a chain of Walmart-like stores here in Michigan called Meijer (pronounced Meyer). Many of them have Tesla charging stations at them now. All-electric cars are closer to being viable for the average driver.

The problem with hybrids and motorcycles is that hybrids need space for 2 drivetrains. And they're heavier than a comparable gas-only vehicle. Note that the PCX has its helmet storage area in the forward area of the seat. It looks to me like the battery is above the rear wheel. That could be a negative in terms of handling, and in the overall weight capacity of the bike.

A hybrid motorcycle will be for a niche market only, those who want the cool new technology. Sure 130mpg is great. But few of us are complaining, "gee, I really need a new bike because my NT gets only 50-55mpg......"

Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
I own 2 hybrid cars. I would go a hybrid motorcycle if they were avaliable and affordable in a mid or larger size. I want to be able to ride or drive from Michigan to Florida without needing to spend several hours recharging every 200 or so miles. My 2016 Chevy Malibu hybrid gives me an average of 45mpg at 75mph on the freeway. I make that Florida round trip 2 to 4 times per year.
Hybrids may be a temporary solution, but by the time the all electric cars are ready to compete, I will likely be wearing a diaper and being fed with a spoon. LOL!!!

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
It's interesting that in the early days of the automobile, electric, steam, and gas cars were all vying for supremacy. There wasn't a gas station infrastructure, and folks weren't keen on the combustibility of a tank of gas in your car. Gasoline eventually won out, of course, because of the extended range you could get. It was crank-and-go, rather than waiting for a steam boiler to heat up. And battery technology wasn't obviously up to snuff for anything other than city car use. But you'd be surprised how good they were back in ~1909. Check out Jay Leno's 1909 Baker Electric:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhnjMdzGusc
FYI, I live a couple miles away from Jay Leno's Garage. I live near the De Garmo Park on De Garmo Ave.

I see Jay on an occasional basis. I try to wave at him and sometimes get a wave back. If you see an old or unusual car, it's usually Jay Leno 1 out of 4 times.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I guess we all gravitate one way or the other. For me, having owned 2 VW diesels, I'd be more inclined to go with a diesel motorcycle. :) They make a military diesel version of the Kawasaki KLR650. Wish it was available to us. The KLR is just so ugly I can't buy it. But if it was ugly AND a diesel......now we're talkin'! :D

I'd love to see Jay's garage. I've watched most of his videos, but would like to see the extent of his shop. Those guys who work for him are lucky. That's got to be a dream job for the mechanic-type, working at leisure on rare cars, and without much for budget constraints. 'We're gonna do it right.' I worked in Irvine for half of 2010 when Fisker Automotive was there. (speaking of hybrids....) I miss the climate. I'm more of a rambler, so I had a hard time with the 'urbanness' of the area.....the confinement. But part of me thinks I might be more O.K. with living there if I had the opportunity again. I only made one trip up your way, visiting the La Brea tar pits and a modern art museum somewhere near by. Visited the Long Beach - Santa Monica area a little, hit Venice Beach, the Getty.... Did a Big Bear loop trip. But I surprisingly didn't get out a whole lot beyond Orange County. Enough to see there, and I experienced enough of the 405 to keep me content to remain south.

Top Bottom