Hyperpro and Hagon

I just ordered the Hyperpro progressive fork springs. I have bikes with Progressive brand front springs and one bike (my WeeStrom) with Racetech
front springs. The Racetech springs were ordered based on their recommendation for my weight, the bike etc. They perform pretty much like the stock springs, not all that great and much like the NT's stockers, which react too abruptly to most sudden irregularities. My experiences with Progressive have been much more auspicious. Based on those experiences, and other recommendations here, I'm hopeful the Hyperpro fronts will be as successful as others have noted,

There were a couple of request awhile back, for any experiences with the Hyperpro rear progressive spring, not compete shock, and I've seen no responses, Thought I'd ask again to see if that might have changed. I'm also interested in experiences with the Hagon rear shock and how the remote preload adjuster mounting issue was solved.

I'll try the new front springs with the stock shock and see if my 200# dry weight bod is comfortable with no touring weight added. I was comfortable with about 40# of luggage and the rear preload at about 1/3 compressed on my recent trip back from Oregon on the "new" bike. Actually the front wasn't bad either, but our local secondary roads are certainly rougher than the roads on the trip.

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Suspension settings and feel are quite variable depending on the person so I find it difficult to give or get advice that fits me personally. With that said I have installed both fork and rear shock springs from the Hyperpro combo kit.
I am approx. 160 lbs so lighter than the average rider and I also seem to sit farther forward than some so I don't have a lot of weight on the rear wheel. I also don't normally load the bike with much extra stuff. Large panniers with no top box.
The front end is a little better than stock for me with the new springs. With the old springs I tried shorter spacers but put the original spacers in with the new springs. It still seems a little stiff for me put pretty close.
The rear end still seems pretty harsh with the original shock and new spring for me. That is with minimum preload. Over sharp edge bumps it jars me quite a bit. One thing I have never seen anyone talk about here is that a slightly stiff rear spring may help prevent the rear end from "shaft jacking" on throttle application. Given the NT is not a powerhouse I don't think it would be much of a factor anyway. Just one of those thoughts that pops into my head sometimes.

Good luck on your suspension work.
Brad

Last edited:

Mel

Bike
2010 red NT
I have the Hyperpro rear spring on the stock shock. I weigh about 170, and find it too stiff and no noticeable improvement over the original. With no preload, I get barely an inch of sag when I sit on the bike.

Mel Neff

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It has been my experience - having done suspension mods on 4 street bikes - that aftermarket providers always have STIFFER offerings and if your tell them you want softer, it's unusual. They assume that everyone who buys springs wants to eliminate that soft, squishy feel of stock so their offerings are stiffer...period.

OP
OP
mikthebik
It has been my experience - having done suspension mods on 4 street bikes - that aftermarket providers always have STIFFER offerings and if your tell them you want softer, it's unusual. They assume that everyone who buys springs wants to eliminate that soft, squishy feel of stock so their offerings are stiffer...period.
Once I get the Hyperpros installed, I'll comment on their impact. My experience with Progressive brand front springs on mainly vintage Japanese bikes, has been positive with regard to smoothing out sudden irregularities. I'm hoping that the Hyperpros, since they were developed across the pond where the Deauvilles are ubiquitous, are a response to the front end issue many of us have tried to address. Looking at the reports from our forum, the feedback seems mixed. I plan to adjust the fork oil weight should I feel the need. I'm hopeful.

Hmmm, no comments on the Hagon rear?

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Mik
You may notice that Hyperpro might recommend different fork oil weight and level from OEM.
The original oil was 10W and level was 124mm. My HyperPro kit recommended 15W and 130mm level.
I ended up with 10W in mine. I have also removed a little oil to drop the level a little to soften up the air spring effect. Your post got me more motivated to readjust mine so I just removed a little more oil yesterday but have only ridden it a few miles. I think I have the front end where I want it now. Need a better road test.

Brad

OP
OP
mikthebik
Mik
You may notice that Hyperpro might recommend different fork oil weight and level from OEM.
The original oil was 10W and level was 124mm. My HyperPro kit recommended 15W and 130mm level.
I ended up with 10W in mine. I have also removed a little oil to drop the level a little to soften up the air spring effect. Your post got me more motivated to readjust mine so I just removed a little more oil yesterday but have only ridden it a few miles. I think I have the front end where I want it now. Need a better road test.

Brad
Cool, good input. Report back after more miles... What 10W did you use? I've been a Maxima fork oil fan and have some various viscosities, but there are differences between different brands. Again, I'll try their suggested oil and do a butt test. Since I'm 40# heavier than you, I may be happy with their stock suggestions. However, changes may follow....

Top Bottom