I Added to My Growing Collection...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Of front tires that have 5-10,000 miles life left in them today. I'm leaving tomorrow morning to go down to Denver for the Ironbutt Association's International Meeting. I'll ride their Wild West 1000 on Wednesday (a Saddle Sore from Denver to Pueblo to Montrose to Farmington to Moab and back to Denver), and then the following week, I'll ride down to Tucson and from there do the Southern California Motorcycle Association's Three-Flags Classic which takes back roads through Torrey, UT, Twin Falls, ID, Walla Walla, WA, and ends in Harrison Hot Springs, British Columbia. Then I'll come home. So, I'll be putting about 6,000 miles on the bike in the next two weeks.

My front PR3 has been on the bike since the Thursday before Labor Day last year. It had 10,760 miles on it, and I'm pretty sure it will last for 18-20,000 miles. So, I nearly decided to not bother putting the new PR4 I got last April. But because Chuck and I replaced my rear PR3 then with the new rear PR4, I found the damage to my final drive and that led to my mechanic finding the about-to-fail pinion bearing. So I thought about that and I thought about hard it might be to find a front PR4 up in eastern British Columbia or western Montana and decided to change the tire.

Turned out to be a pretty good thing that I did. My front wheel bearings needed replacing.

So, now I've got a set of PR3s that have several thousand miles left in them, plus an extra PR3 front that's got several thousand miles left in it.

I've got such a nice collection that I could just hang them on the wall and use them for picture frames.

Keep after the maintenance on that bike Phil. It is easier to do it in the shop than on the roadside.

How long did your fork seals go? I assume you have replaced them by now, and they may be due again.

Jim, I've had fork seals replaced twice. The last time was not long before we left for Alaska. That's when I added the Triumph gaitors and was about 30,000 miles ago.

Terry, I'll probably have about 93,000 miles after I get back from BC. I might get close to 100,000 before the end of the year, but my guess is that I won't hit it till next spring. I'd probably be smart to spend some time with Joanne and we want to do some traveling together, which means in a cage.

Phil, have a nice ride thru the area. that's the way to stay in front of me! just turned over 83,000 miles. as noted above, I have had 1 fork seal leaking, will get it replaced soon, around colder weather. I take them off and take them to my home mechanic to fix. have not replaced front bearings yet

Back
Top Bottom