I Could Cry.......

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Just installed my new front tire, 1st ride was to visit someone new about a handyman job, 14 miles away. Riding down a gravel driveway(not a state highway) with some spur offs, about 6 houses until I finally get to intended house. Chat about doing the job, get back on NT, move around thru grass 180 degrees, start riding on the loose limestone, feels funny. Stop, look over front, tire seems ok, start back up, come to finer gravel - more packed, then for sure I could feel tire wobbling. This time stop, look over , sure enough, flat front tire. Thanks for the NT-forum induced "carry an air pump & tire gummies" thread that got me to do that, I was able to fix it and get home. The leak was a puncture that had no item stuck in hole, so it was heavy enough to fall off or just a sharp protrusion from ground. So if anymore problems, I can take off tire and patch from inside, since I'm the tire changer!
This was my first flat on NT, had 4 or 5 flats on my PC800 in 13.5 yrs, but I had to drive over 1/4 mile dirt road that has since been paved. Those darn dirt road gremlins.

Last edited:

Marker

Having a flat on the front is not very common, they are usually on the back in my experience. Glad you had the repair kit with you. I have the air cylinders, but have never tried one so hope they work .....if I need to use it.

OP
OP
Woodaddict

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
yes puncture was on front, I looked on back tire but no marks

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Good thing is that you were not out on the super slab at cruise to work speed or in a sweeper corner! tha is when the front flat can get real interesting quickly! I had one of those on my VLX 600! I kept it up and got it stoped , but it was like visions of 1/2 mile flat tracking for a few moments. I got a trailer and transported it to my dealer and put a new tire on. This was on a tube type tire. No easy roadside fix availible

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Glad you were able to get it fixed before you really had trouble, Dave! It's good that you can put that inside patch on yourself.

OP
OP
Woodaddict

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Rick, at least you had 3,000 miles on tire, I had only 14 miles, that is why I could cry:hyp1:. Bob, if you where using the sticky square lead weights, I found part #'s of the center NT spine weights that clip on. There are 3 size weights, and I got 2 of each. I posted the #'s in another post that I could find and repost here if needed.
The original sticky plug got me home, but didn't seem to have a good blob inside tire, so when I came home, I pulled it out and put new in with rubber cement, hope that gives me the tire life for about 8 months

OP
OP
Woodaddict

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Well, gummy worm starting leaking in morning when i went to leave work. Got my trusty portable air pump out and pumped it up. When home was down to 20 lbs, but on way home i stopped and got internal patch. Just put that in tonight and will be ready to roll in morning. Glad it started acting up now, taking a co-worker to tail of dragon on saturday 10-12, he needs one of those professional pics.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Speaking of "Ride-On" -- another forum I was on had some folks that swear by the stuff (http://www.ride-on.com/). Anybody here use it? Results?
Yep, I use it. On my last bike, I had two punctures of the read tire, then when I replaced both tires, I tried it. Never had another flat - at all.

When I bought my NT, I had a flat rear tire within 3,000 miles. Ruined it as the nail went through the side wall. When I installed the new tire, I again installed it with Ride On.

I might add - though I check tire pressures often, I seldom have to add air with Ride-On. I love the stuff, though it is pricy.

Top Bottom