I picked up a NT cousin - DN-01

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
thumbnail_IMG_1510-2.jpg

So...there she is, I need to get used to the feet forward riding position, I've never had a cruiser style bike before. It has an automatic transmission, I've never had a bike with that before either. The trans is very similar to that in a Honda 4 wheeler. The engine (or lump) is the same 680cc unit as the NT has, so I call her a NT cousin. One thing for sure, my short little legs have no trouble flat footing her. I haven't made up my mind yet as to how long I'll keep her, the jury is still out on that. I have a wild idea of grafting a mid control setup onto her - only the rear brake control would need rework if I actually did this. I've had Goldwings and a Valkyrie - all mid control bikes - and I was quite comfortable riding them. We shall see if it gets beyond the wild idea stage.

Attachments

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I saw one at the dealership when I bought my NT. I couldn't reconcile myself with the feet forward riding position or the styling. Years later I ran into a guy who had one and he absolutely loved it.

Mike

OP
OP
RedBird

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
True, a distant cousin for sure! One of the things that helped in my decision to try it was that it had the now unobtainable Givi bag and trunk mounts plus the Givi bags and tail trunk units.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
True, a distant cousin for sure! One of the things that helped in my decision to try it was that it had the now unobtainable Givi bag and trunk mounts plus the Givi bags and tail trunk units.
Where did you find it? There's probably very few of them registered in the US, most assuredly less than the NT. I don't recall ever seeing one on the road.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
When we were in Spearfish, maybe in '12, I had a rear flat that we couldn't plug, and the bike got transported to Rapid City Honda. While they were changing the tire, there was a DN-01 being serviced. It was red like the one in the Cycle-Trader ad Mellow posted. I really didn't like its looks, but with the bags and top box that Ken has on his, it looks a LOT better. I'd have get my feet back though.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
That Givi luggage wasn't cheap, but it really looks nice on that bike! It makes it tourable.

Mike

OP
OP
RedBird

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
As to where I found it - it was on Denver Craigslist. It is not like the one Mellow linked to - it has just about 24000 miles on it. The guy I bought it from said it was his wife's bike, but she wanted to go back to a Burgman scooter. So they had not put many miles on it. I think who ever owned it before they did put some touring miles on it. I paid less then what the asking price is for the Texas one also. Anyway, if it did not have the Givi mounts and luggage I would not have given it a 2nd thought.

Last edited:
Top Bottom