I think its a bad battery

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I am not so sure that is a myth. We were told in aircraft mechanic school that back in the 1920s, battery shells were a bit porous and setting one down on a damp floor or even a dry one could lead to an electrical path between cells after a while.

Sorry but I should have elaborated more on my story.

My example of the battery being put in the freezer was to dispel the old myth of a placing a battery on cold concrete floor can suck the juice out of the battery. My friend fully charged the battery before it was put in the freezer to prevent the case from cracking due to electrolyte freezing. When the battery is flat, the electrolyte is mostly water; conversely it is mostly acid when fully charged. If I'm not mistaken most batteries are strongest when the temp is around 68 F. Colder temps make it somewhat sluggish but not necessary weak or bad.

Taking it out of the freezer several months later then allowing it to come to room temp proved that it retained a full charge in the cold.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I am not so sure that is a myth. We were told in aircraft mechanic school that back in the 1920s, battery shells were a bit porous and setting one down on a damp floor or even a dry one could lead to an electrical path between cells after a while.
Here is an quick talk about batteries discharging on concrete.

What many people don't realize is that a battery can self discharge thru dirt on the outside of the battery. Dirty lawn mower batteries are frequent offenders due to acid splashing and lots of dust/dirt. My old beater 85 Toyota rides like a lawn mower and has needed it's battery cover cleaned. It can easily be found with a voltmeter with a lead connected to one terminal and running the other lead all over the plastic cover, especially near cell caps. I've found 2-3vdc frequently and higher a few times. Then repeat on the other terminal. Any voltage found on the surface and the battery is discharging. Cleaning the battery cover will fix it and eliminate the self discharge.

Top Bottom