I want my NTV

skiper

I recently completed my first long ride and had no trouble or cramps of any kind after four hours. Took a forty min break anddid a few more hours with several stops for checking scenery. Oh, by the way - every time I go near exit 99 on rt 17 EAGLES are flying. Any time between7 and 10. So this motorcycle is really fine and sweet too. Could be NT stands for nifty. Nifty V. You guys are right it's a great bike. ralph

OP
OP

skiper

Hey skiper.. do you know why the manual says bump starting is not recommended ? Why is almost as important as don't... Is it just nt or all bikes without a kick crank ? just sayin...

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Hey skiper.. do you know why the manual says bump starting is not recommended ? Why is almost as important as don't... Is it just nt or all bikes without a kick crank ? just sayin...
I'm not sure it has to do with harm to the bike. Some approaches to bump starting are candidates for YouTube. I got to do a Superman imitation once on my Honda 160 doing this:rolleyes1: Flying down the street laying flat out on the tank and seat with my feet hanging straight out behind me:eek1:

OP
OP

skiper

I'm not sure it has to do with harm to the bike. Some approaches to bump starting are candidates for YouTube. I got to do a Superman imitation once on my Honda 160 doing this:rolleyes1: Flying down the street laying flat out on the tank and seat with my feet hanging straight out behind me:eek1:
thanks rich, i tried once down hill,just curious,skid for second and abandoned idea. just wondering - so no go...

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Not so much having a "kick start" as having fuel... Bump starting pretty much died with the introduction of electronic fuel injection. The issue is if the battery is dead enough it won't crank it probably won't have enough power for the fuel pump and other parts of the EFI to provide enough fuel to run. Most carburetor bikes are still "bumpable" though....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Wayne's explanation makes sense to me. I can guarantee you won't get the NT started by coasting and trying to bump start it. I think the fuel injection won't inject without a good battery.

elizilla

I have seen both 1000 and 650 V-Stroms bump started. They are fuel injected. However they weren't complete flat batteries in either case - just too low to start. They might have had enough battery to pressurize the fuel.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
Katherine is correct, I had an event with my fuel injected turbo charged Kawasaki on a trip that I thought was going to strand me in rural Colorado. Riding in the rain most of the day with a chip in my glass headlight shorted out the headlight circuit and was a huge draw on the battery. Hence as voltage dropped my fuel pump could not keep up and I limped into a gas station to try and figure out what was wrong. My first thought was a bad fuel pump because it was taking a much longer time to get to pressure up, that and not enough juice to turn over. Great, where am I going to find a 26 year old fuel pump in rural Colorado... My riding buddy said he saw my headlight dimming and acting weird so I pulled the headlamp fuse, turned her on and waited for the pressure to come up and bump started her in second gear and she fired right up. Quik voltage check while running showing 13-14 volts, and running fine. Got me through the rest of my trip, around 200 miles (daylight of course) and ran fine.
Long story short I believe if you have enough juice to get the fuel to pressure (not alot really) bump starting will get you on the road again.

OP
OP

skiper

thankyou thank you . thanks all , now in emergency be able to decide much better...

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
It is possible for the battery to have a problem such that it won't even continue to run a carburetor-equipped bike that is already running. I had this happen with my ST1100. FWIW this bike did have an electric fuel pump and ECM.

Top Bottom