[How To] IAT Sensor Repair

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Hello All - First, the thanks. The forum has the answers when you need them and I want to thank all those who have posted helpful technical knowledge in the past which help me solve my problem.
Second, I wanted to pass along some maybe "new" knowledge for others to follow.
I had my Check Engine light come on and shut the bike down right away as not to do any damage. Started it up again and the light was out. Drove home and started digging on the NT-Owners. They I learned that I should not have shut it down, but rather shifted into Neutral and put the kickstand down and counted the blinks of the warning light which then alerts one to the problem. Yep, it was the Intake Air Temperature Sensor and just to be sure I did what others advised and shot a video with my phone. I called the dealer and while they are excellent, when I most often bring the bike in for repair, they need to keep it and order the parts. Not a negative against the dealer, but the bike is after all 10 years old now and I don't expect them to stock all parts that long. My appointment was 3 days off, so I thought this might be a learning opportunity, so I read the shop manual (THANK YOU PHIL TARMAN) and found out where the sensor was and it didn't look to difficult to replace. Then I went to a parts website and found the part was $29. I copied the part number and low and behold, the same IAT sensor for the NT is used for a bunch of Honda automobiles and was listed on Amazon. (1998 -1993 Honda Accord, 1990 - 1993 Honda Integra, etc.) $10 - $13 and change! Called my local AutoZone, and they had it in stock a mile away for $29? I went down and showed them the Amazon prices that included free shipping and they match it. Walked out the door for $13.77. Replaced the sensor and all was good until I got home and did my "K" turn to back the bike into the garage - Warning light again -ugh! Took everything apart again and found that when I make a turn with the bars locked to the left, it pulled the wiring harness just the slightest and had fatigued the wire about 1/2" from the female terminal end. Yep, they don't sell those at either AutoZone or the online parts company - just the segment of the entire wiring harness which was more than I wanted to get into. Cut the plug and then soldered a new set of "pigtails" and re-soldered it all back together. The big challenge is getting that plug apart if you think you are going to replace the terminal connections inside the plastic plug - near impossible to get apart without damage. Got it all back together, cancelled the appointment with the dealer, but asked if I were to stop by, could they hook up their code reader and clear the codes. No problem. Drove down, no problem and when the service advisor drove the bike around the back of the shop it came on again. My diagnostic was correct, but in opening the small female terminal, a tiny piece of plastic that pushes the terminal pin onto the male end of the IAT was still loose. He grabbed a pliers, squeezed it and all is now 100%. But, to be safe, online I finally found for $6 a new female terminal with pigtails. I guess if you wanted to go to a junk yard you could get one off one of the old Honda automobiles. Since the repair over a week ago, we're back in business.

Here's some pictures if it helps anyone in the future.IMG_5774 2 copy.jpgIMG_5773.JPGInternior of Female Plug.jpeg

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Thanks for the great write up.

Do you think the problem was actually the wiring harness because of the ”stretching” and not the sensor?

Seagrass

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I had the same problem several years ago. It was not the sensor. The problem is that the harness is just a little too short and if it is not run smoothly it will have pull-tension on the connector. My harness was twisted a couple of times which shortened it's overall length just enough to be a problem. I simply untwisted it, ran it smoothly and the problem was solved.
BTW, seagrass, you have mail!

Macka

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It's not unusual for Honda motorcycles and Honda autos to share some parts. That sharing started in the 70s perhaps even earlier. The first GL1000 engine used a fair number of Civic engine parts, as is, with some slightly modified to better suit the 2-wheeler. Hey, it works so why not?

Whenever I have to remove the air box, I always unplug the IAT sensor and others. Before reassembly, I blast the contact with elec cleaner then dab some dielectric grease into it to maintain good contact. Just a tiny bit of maintenance can ensure a smooth running future! :)

OP
OP
ADK Jim

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Sorry Seagrass and Macka that I didn't get back to you sooner. I do believe the problem was the tightness of the wiring harness not the sensor. I've had the left and right pockets off so many times that I am amazed the screws still hold! So, it could have been my fault or a mechanic at one point. There was no "slack" in the wiring so just that little extra pull to go to full lock seems to have caused the problem. Over the years I've added all sorts of farces - air horn, driving lights, heated grips, outlet for charging iPhone, GPS, and it's likely one of those installs may have led to the problem - who knows. Anyway, just completed my first Iron Butt SS1000 and everything worked great.

Top Bottom