IBA just gave me a call....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I just got a call from a member of the Iron Butt Association verification team. I had sent in an application for Mile-Eater status over a year ago and promptly forgotten about it. Vance John, the guy who called, was checking to see if I had gotten the certificate yet. I hadn't, but I was on the Mile-Eater list, even though that only showed two of my five rides. I had wanted all five to show on that list. I think he's going to straighten that out. It doesn't make a huge difference because I seriously doubt that anyone will ever go searching for my name in the IBA Big List.

But, one of the things he told me is that I'm only one ride away from Mile-Eater Bronze status. I would need to do the equivalent of a Bun-Burner Gold ride and I'm pretty sure I don't want to do a 1500 in 24 ride. However there are some 1000 mile rides that are considered equivalents. I don't think I want to do one of those, but I will take a look and see what I think after seeing what those rides are like.

With your history of IBA laurels, the Mile Eater Bronze would be a capstone to your riding career, however give it some serious thought. Although I'm confident I could still do another SS1000, the motivation is no longer there to pursue it. I'm glad I did it when I was younger just to prove to myself I could do it. If I had your IBA record, I would be sorely tempted to go for it.... but I don't know.......

Mike

I don't either, Mike. I'm dubious about it. I am getting older.

what is the mile eater??

The Mile Eater is earned by doing at least two Iron Butt Certified rides. So far, I've done a SS1K in '99 and a BB1.5K in '01, both on my first C10 Concours. Then 4/30-5/1, I did the first-ever IBA cert ride in the whole Western Hemisphere on an NT700V, another SS1K. On 8/20/14, I did another SS1K. Then on 5/16/15, I completed (just barely) a BBG (1500 miles in less than 24 hrs -- I did 1514 miles in 23 hrs and 48 min). Any two of those would give me Mile Eater status, so, since you've done two SS1Ks, you have achieved Mile Eater status!! To achieve Mile Eater Bronze status I need another ride equivalent to a BBG. There are several higher-levels of Mile Eater status and there's no way I'll ever get above Bronze.

To read more about the Mile Eater program go to: https://www.ironbutt.com/mileeater/index.html

Last edited:
Phil - You've more than proved yourself as a long distance rider. Time to take it easy and enjoy shorter rides, free of any goals of distance-to-time. ;)

Phil, only you can decide whether to pursue the award, but always keep your safety paramount!

Mike

Just my thoughts, but if you are a few hundred miles and many hours into a ride and you realize you aren't either mentally or physically prepared to continue, that's the real bummer. So I usually talk to myself very honestly, and if I can't say "yes, I can do this AND it will be a ton of fun", then I defer.

So I'd say go for it if you think it will be a ton of fun, defer if not.

It is never mentioned very much, but I think motorcyclists don't pay enough attention to their physical fitness before doing a long ride. Long distance rides take a toll. Before cross country rides, I will do rigorous daily workouts for a good two months before starting out, to make sure I can take the miles. That makes the ride enjoyable instead of a test of one's durability.

so, since you've done two SS1Ks, you have achieved Mile Eater status!! To achieve Mile Eater Bronze status I need another ride equivalent to a BBG. There are several higher-levels of Mile Eater status and there's no way I'll ever get above Bronze.

i need to do one on the Spyder. maybe next year for the BBG 1500 miles in 24 hrs. I'll have some extra vacation days. My sister had a fit that I did 1,000 miles in 24 hrs,,,,,,,,,actual times was 22 hr, 10 min.............. and 17hr, 6 min Why do you do that much riding at a time, its dangerous. I told her I was well aware of my abilities, and a few times have done 13-15 hr trips @ 850 miles. The ages I did them was 55 & 56, so I was a spring chicken. Its just something to do, a goal, just to say "I did that". REAL motorcyclists DO important milestones!!!

i need to do one on the Spyder. maybe next year for the BBG 1500 miles in 24 hrs. I'll have some extra vacation days. My sister had a fit that I did 1,000 miles in 24 hrs,,,,,,,,,actual times was 22 hr, 10 min.............. and 17hr, 6 min Why do you do that much riding at a time, its dangerous. I told her I was well aware of my abilities, and a few times have done 13-15 hr trips @ 850 miles. The ages I did them was 55 & 56, so I was a spring chicken. Its just something to do, a goal, just to say "I did that". REAL motorcyclists DO important milestones!!!

On all of my IBA rides, I've never doubted my ability to continue safely. Back in '12, I attempted a BBG from Ft Morgan to Limon to KC to Des Moines, to Sioux City, to Sioux Falls, to Sundance, and back to Spearfish. When I left Ft Morgan, I'd only gone 20 miles before I came to a 10 mile 1-way construction zone with a pilot car. They had just left and the flagman wouldn't let me follow. 30 miles further on, I came to a 15 mile 1-way and the pilot car was out of sight. Had to wait again. By the time I got to Limon I was 45 miles behind schedule. And I was too dumb to stop the clock and restart the ride there. Might not have worked because there was a ton of construction going on when I went through Sioux City. By the time I got to Mitchell, I called the ride off and took an hour nap. I was glad I had done that. From Mitchell to Rapid City, the wind blew 30-35 and the temperature was about 95. I enjoyed the two long stops I took during that part of the ride.

As IBA's Archive of Wisdom says in its 12th tip:

12. Know when to stop!

As soon as you are tempted to close an eye, even "for just a second", find the nearest safe place to pull over and take a nap!

Many seasoned riders report these classic symptoms to watch for:

• Inability to maintain a desired speed. If you find yourself slowing down and constantly having to speed back up, you are ready to fall asleep!
  • Forgetting to turn high beams down for oncoming traffic.
  • Your lane discipline noticably deteriorates - you find yourself fighting the bike to maintain your line in a curve.
  • Indecision. Can't decide to stop for gas or continue? Can't decide what turn to take?
These are all a result of fatigue.

No certificate is worth getting this creaky old body dinged up any more than it already is! If I attempt a ride, I'm more committed to getting home than I am to earning another certificate.

Back
Top Bottom