If You Are In The Market For A New Helmet...

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The Sharp Helmet site in the U.K. has a lot of good information. These tests are comparable to the DOT certifications in the US but are more through, at least in opinion. For example if you are considering a modular "flip" style helmet they test how well the chin bar stays retained or "locked" in an accident.

The downside of this site is since they only test helmets available in the UK not everything we can purchase is tested. But their is a lot of good info...

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The Sharp Helmet site in the U.K. has a lot of good information. These tests are comparable to the DOT certifications in the US but are more through, at least in opinion. For example if you are considering a modular "flip" style helmet they test how well the chin bar stays retained or "locked" in an accident.

The downside of this site is since they only test helmets available in the UK not everything we can purchase is tested. But their is a lot of good info...
Good information. I noticed that the Schuberth C3 and the Shoei Multitech got three stars while the Nolan N102, N103 and N90 got four stars. It shows that the most expensive helmets do not always offer the most protection.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Well, fudge. And I just bought a Schuberth C3. Makes me wonder if I ought to be riding with my Nolan....

SCDAUB

Just purchased my Nolan N90 today.... XL, Arctic Grey $219.00 free shipping.
YAY! I have an older Nolan N100 modular and it is fantastic, just long in the tooth.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I changed this time to an open face. Wanted one that was a bit lighter than my RF-1000. Got the HJC IC-33. 3/4 with flip face shield and flip down sun visor.

I was surprised that it is just as quiet as the full face. It is interesting as this is my first helmet that is not a full face. I can see a bit better out the sides. Added bennie is that I can now put the helmet on and off without taking off my glasses.

And I do like having the sun shield in the helmet for those times when I don't want to stop to put on sunglasses, or, when I forget them.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I changed this time to an open face. Wanted one that was a bit lighter than my RF-1000. Got the HJC IC-33. 3/4 with flip face shield and flip down sun visor.

I was surprised that it is just as quiet as the full face. It is interesting as this is my first helmet that is not a full face. I can see a bit better out the sides. Added bennie is that I can now put the helmet on and off without taking off my glasses.

And I do like having the sun shield in the helmet for those times when I don't want to stop to put on sunglasses, or, when I forget them.
I also have an IC-33 which I wear on occasion. I found that I liked the AFX FX50 better though. It is a 3/4 helmet like the IC-33 except it also has a peak visor which helps shade your eyes from the sun without always having to lower the internal sun visor. Until recently I have always rode with a 3/4 helmet since I feel more comfortable in them when riding in heavy traffic. Field of vision is better than with a full coverage. I recently purchased a Nolan N90 flip up which I am getting used to. Its hotter and more claustrophobic than my 3/4 helmets which is taking some getting used to.

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I considered something like that but I have never liked the peaked stuff.

Some of the newer flip ups and FF helmets are including larger fields of view. I liked the design of the Nolan Tri-something, but, it didn't fit my head.

Top Bottom